Reload this Page >

Cruise or island hop for first time in Tahiti

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2000, 02:30 PM
TahitiNovice

We are beginning to plan out our first (and possibly only trip) to Tahiti for March 2002. Should we stay on two or three islands? Or take a cruise? We like to see things on vacation, but we mostly like to relax and sleep. The OW bungalows sound so exotic. But the idea of not living out of a suitcase sounds fantastic too. Any thoughts?

Old Oct 11th, 2000, 04:17 PM
Debi

We went to Tahiti last year. This is one of the locations that I would choose to stay at the islands. I'm like you, I like to relax and soak in the local culture. French Polynesia is the most beautiful place - and it was SO relaxing. I would recommend very minimum stay in Tahiti - just arrive and depart from there. We stayed at Moorea for a week, then Bora Bora for a week. Not that much unpacking - and it was the vacation of a lifetime. The OWB are expensive - but we thought they were well worth it. We went on a cruise to the Mediterranean this year - and we like that because we visited so many countries/cities. But the FP islands are small - and made for romantic, relaxing fun. We loved our cruise - but there was so much to do on the ship, we really didn't relax - we always wanted to do something! Anyway, that's my two cents. Whatever you do, it'll be great.

Old Oct 11th, 2000, 05:31 PM
gail

Bora Bora is just what you are describing, total relaxation and enjoying the beauty of the islands. I actually was feeling sorry for the people we saw on the boat. It just can not be as great on the cruise liners! We ran into one couple who went one week on the boat (Paul Ganguin) and another on land and they really enjoyed the balance in that manner. <BR> <BR>The OW bungalows are so beautiful with the breeze blowing through and the lights under the glass topped coffee tables, <BR> <BR>Sitting in the hammocks at night looking at the palm trees and lights. No time frame to be held to.Strolling past drummers and dancers on the beaches. I don't know about you, but the thought of being confined to a boat just isn't the same!

Old Oct 23rd, 2000, 10:15 AM
John

We just got back from Tahiti. We stayed in OW bungalows in Moorea and Bora Bora (4 nights each). The OW are neat, but I think I would rather have a beach bungalow and use the money I saved for another few days on an additional island. As for packing and unpacking, it's not that big of a deal because your wardrobe on the island is limited to swim suits, shorts, and sun dresses.

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 05:46 PM
kathy

<BR>Keep reading about how expensive a OW is? Can someone please state the price.

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 08:00 PM
greg

Re: OW price, you can find it for yourself, for example at Hotel Bora Bora: <BR> <BR>http://www.amanresorts.com/bora_m.html

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 07:01 AM
gail

We stayed at the ParkRoyal OW on three islands. We got a package deal through our travel agent. It was not cheap...but we cwetainly did not pay the rate listed on the back of the door!I think it would be a shame to rule out the OW experience without checking out the actual price possibilities.Sometimes there is a better deal to be found depending on when you go.

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 05:27 PM
Kathy

<BR>Greg, <BR>All questions on this forum can be answered elsewhere, but when asked here most respond with the answer. I'm quite confused as to why this thread or subject seems to be so off limit.

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 03:07 PM
John

Kathi: It's hard to breakdown the cost because most people buy their trip as a package, airfare, 4 nights here, 4 nights there, interisland airfare, sometimes meals, etc. If I remember my travel agent, he quoted me about $200 per night difference between OW and Beach bungalows at the Beachcomber properties.

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 09:18 AM
pat

If you decide to do a land trip, stay in a beach bungalow, and spend the last night or two in an overwater bungalow. You will save money and still have the experience of an OW bungalow. I love FP!

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 07:44 PM
free

When we went to Moorea last Summer, we priced several bungalows. The OTW were approximately twice the cost of a garden. I would definitely take a beach before I would do the OTW. Mainly because I like to lay on the beach and if you are in the OTW, you do not have any beach to lay on and have to walk the pier to the beach. But Tahiti may be the only place that has OTW and it may be your only chance. I did read they were planning to put some in Jamaca, but I will not go there.