Reload this Page >

crossing from North to South island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 02:08 PM
Suzy

Is there a better time of day to cross to avoid a rough crossing? Morning, afternoon, or evening? Also, what's difference between the Interislander Ferry and the Lynx? <BR>Thanks in advance for your responses. Suzy

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 03:33 PM
Jo

No - you can't choose your time of day - its luck of the weather on the day. I would recommend day time though, as the views on the Picton side through the Sounds are very nice. <BR>The main difference between the 2 ferries is speed. Lynx is the faster ferry, taking about half the time of the Interislander.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 03:55 PM
traveller

If it is very rough on the day you cross, they may shut the Lynx down which is what happened to us. They do not refund your money but mail it back to you. It was a very rough when we crossed but I still enjoyed it. The hardest thing was not spilling my beer. So, I wouldn't worry to greatly unless you are prone to sea sickness.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 03:53 PM
sonia

Hi <BR> <BR>The Lynx is much faster but you still get great sightseeing coming in and out of Picton, so go in daylight.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 02:29 PM
John

Suzy: <BR>Have you thought about flying across? We flew SoundsAir. A local airline. Flight took about 20 minutes, from Wellington Airport to Picton. <BR>If you're interested, email me and I'll dig up their details. <BR>John