Search

coffee in Australia

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 07:47 PM
Barbie

coffee in Australia

Im a coffee drinker and would like to know if anyone knows of a place I could go for a good cup of coffee but not the most pricey.<BR>I always go to Tim Hortins but was unsure if anyone new that name.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 08:37 PM
Deidre

Is this post for real or is this one of those times someone is writing in for kicks? <BR>I don't know where you are from and I don't know Tim Hortins but I would just like to say that you can buy more variety coffee in Australia than anywhere else in the world just about, we grow our own coffee and get any type of good coffee from all over the world. and we have had capiccino etc before you ever hear of the word. <BR>It never fails to amaze me how ignorant some people are of other countries.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 09:02 PM
jay

Good quality, proper espresso coffee is LOT easier to find in Australia than in the US.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 11:22 PM
sheldon

Birkenhead point, Sydney. There is an Italian section where you get the good stuff at the basement foodcourt. Not your average Starbucks cuppa.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 11:23 PM
sheldon

btw, cuppucino is a 'home' drink in Italy - 'fer the kids...

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 07:46 AM
barbie

Im not stupid.I knew they would have coffee in Australia.My questtion Is only to know if there was a coffee chain cafe that is well know for the coffee.Like starbucks

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 11:03 AM
bill simpson

Barbie, there are usually several Starbucks in the most of the cities but not all. Adelaide doesn't have one but Sydney has several as does Surfers Paradise & probably Brisbane. There was another chain, Australian I believe, that was located in several locations with excellent coffee - can't rememnber the name. However there are excellent small shops that just specialize in coffee - good coffee. You won't have any difficulty finding a good cup of coffee in Australia. If you are in Perth, check out Bocelli's. We went there every morning, sit outside, & the coffee & scones were so good we always ended up drinking two cups. Also keep in mind there are no free refills in Australia.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 11:09 AM
dc

Barbie,<BR>Coming from Canada and being an avid coffee drinker myself (not to mention an avid consumer of Timbits too!) I totally understand your question. I also understand that you want to know as much about a foreign country as you can before you get there. It helps to avoid making any dastardly faux pas. This is a part of what these travel forums are for. Which is why Deidre no question is too stupid to ask as you imply. By the way, it is cappuccino, not capiccino, named after the Italian Cappucin monks for their brown hooded robes, originating in, you guessed it, Italy. Sorry to disillusion. Although Australians have given birth to many creative ideas, this is not one of them, so I cannot allow you to take credit for it. <BR>Secondly, Tim Horton happens to be one of the greatest hockey players to ever play in the NHL. Back in the days when he played, it was for the love of the sport, not the big contracts. Tim Horton's family opened a donut shop that after his death grew into a huge chain in Canada. It was bought out by the Wendy's corporation and is spreading througout the United States. Their coffee in good, simple (not fifty flavours like Starbuck's) and not too pricey (also unlike Starbuck's) Is there a chain like this in Australia?<BR>That was Barbie's question. A simple one that did not deserve your snotty answer Deidre.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 01:13 PM
Diedre

Why would Australians know anything about a hockey player in Canada? I mean lets be realistic here, Canada is hardly a sporting nation at the best of times i.e. no Commonwealth games gold medals and no PanPac gold either so why would anyone in Australia know one of your hockey players? <BR>Starbucks, when I lived in the USA had the worst possible coffee anyone could have ever made and apart from NYC no one in the US knew what an Italian cup of coffee tasted like - same as Canadians. When I was there again last year they had certainly improved out of sight. I certainly would not make a suggestion that the coffee at Wendy's was drinkable - possibly that is the reason that you can get as many cups as you want - who would not want two of them? But at least it helps down the dreadful food that is dished, for the money it is disgusting so you might as well wash it down with dish-water.<BR>Perhaps Barbie should bring her own coffee as I am sure that would be the only way she would enjoy it. Anyone who asks such a stupid question as that should really stay at home because it is very insulting to have someone ask " do they have drinkable coffee"? But a question I would expect from a Canadian<BR><BR>

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 01:42 PM
bill simpson

Hey Diedre, I wonder why Starbucks is doing so well in Australia. If I recall I saw a lot of Aussies going there. They must not have got the oh so knowledgable word from you of that bad Starbucks coffee. I also wouldn't speak ill of Wendys (I don't eat there) because I couldn't get a good hamburger all the time I was in Australia. I am not knocking Australia (I did get good food there) but people like you that come across as total jerks. How many medals did you win for Team Australia in any games?

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 02:19 PM
dc

Deidre,<BR><BR>I'm really not in the mood to bandy words with you, nor do you have the verbal agility to cross words with me, so this will be my last reply on such insignificance. <BR>I did not insult Australia or the Australian culture in any way, as you have with your offensive onslaught on my own home. If I held Australia in such disregard, I would never have travelled there in the past, nor would I frequent this particular message board.<BR>Your disparaging replies illustrate your ignorance and lack of literary comprehension. I did not say the coffee at Wendy's was good. I said Wendy's bought the Tim Horton's name, which they in turn franchise out. If you want good coffee the next occassion you are fortunate enough to visit Canada, try to stay away from the American conglomerates. The name of the Donut shop is Tim Horton's, the coffee is $2.00 for a large (no free refills), give it a try next time you are here. As for the food being dreadful, if you frequent inferior "restaurants" such as the aforementioned Wendy's, is it any wonder your meals were terrible. If you have the pleasure to visit Toronto, I recommend Centro, Sassafraz, Aqua, Jump, Canoe etc. The list runs on and on. While you are online, perhaps you could check Fodors Canadian board.<BR><BR>By the way, as a sports journalist, let me enlighten you on a few sporting issues as your knowledge of sports is appallingly lacking. Canada hardly a sporting nation? I think not. Canada and Australia have completely different climates, hence Canadians excel at winter games, while Aussies excel at summer games.<BR>For your information at the 2002 Commonwealth Games in Manchester, Canada won 31 gold medals, 41 Silver medals and 42 Bronze medals. Not to mention the 17 medals won at the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics (a fourth place totals standing)<BR>Your mediocrity is stifling, so please save everyone reading this message board from your unenlightened and incoherent replies. <BR>If you do not have an answer that is informative and worthwhile, try to restrain yourself and keep your fingers from the keyboard.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 04:38 PM
jay

Americans may excel at many things but coffee is not one of them - that drip-filtered, muddy, watered-down flavourless crap they serve up is nothing like the rich, full-flavour of a good strong cup of european style espresso whether it be macchiato, cafe latte, cappucino etc, etc. <BR>Starbucks?... Eeeuuuuccchhh!!!

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 09:03 AM
Mr. Fourex

Might I recommend skipping the coffee and heading down to the pub for a pint/pot/jug/schooner of your favorite tasty malt beverage...

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 09:07 AM
bill simpson

I am an American & I have been in Starbucks many times & I have never ordered drip filtered coffee. I have never ordered drip filtered coffee anywhere. Most coffee beans are grown in limited locations & shipped to the major markets. The roasting of the beans & the expertise of the person behind the expresso machine is what makes a good cup of coffee, not which country the coffee house happens to be located. Here in Alaska we have a local coffee outfit named Kaladi Bros & whatever you want that is listed on the board they do & do it well as do a lot of Starbucks shops I have visited. They, in fact may be using beans harvested from the same farm as your coffee shop is using. Coffee is a world-wide commodity & the shops make coffee that appeals to their clientele. If folks like drip filtered mud, it is their choice; if they like espresso, it is their choice; you should drink your own choice, enjoy it, & shut up about it. Someone asks a simple question & all the so-called experts come out of the closet. This is not a debate on what country makes the best coffee or which country has the better athletes. The question was,"would like to know if anyone knows of a place I could go for a good cup of coffee". Well you can get a good cup of coffee in many places in Australia - not to worry & if you ever decide to travel to the friendly state of Alaska, we also have excellent coffee shops with atmosphere & yes, good coffee. Aren't you glad you asked the question Barbie?

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 09:18 AM
Barbie

Hello <BR>Thanks for all your funny reply's<BR>I didnt no I would creat such a big deal.<BR>so keep smiling and thanks to all for your ummmm neat reply's

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 01:03 PM
frasier

dc ([email protected] - you are an insufferable borish Canadian who thinks that everything Canadian is wonderful and probably doesn't even know the name of the Capital of the place. <BR>I can understand why people would get a bit short with someone who asks such a stupid question about coffee. For heaven's sake don't you KNOW that you can only make the coffee in Australia in those places which have electricity???

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 02:04 PM
bill simpson

and the beat goes on.......