cockatiels?

Jan 19th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

cockatiels?

I have to make a one day stop in Sydney as a part of a trip to NZ. I would love to see some cockatiels.Does anyone know of any tours etc?
Thank you!
Jan 19th, 2006, 10:01 PM

Probably the zoo would be your best bet. I'm intrigued ... why cockatiels of all our native parrots? BTW we also call them quarrians.
Jan 19th, 2006, 11:53 PM

For those who are wondering about the Cockatiel .... http://www.amonline.net.au/factsheets/cockatiel.htm

They are great little birds - super mimics. Very easily taught to whistle & talk.
Jan 20th, 2006, 12:34 PM

While Cockatiels are great (smaller) are you meaning Cockatoos (bigger)?
Jan 20th, 2006, 03:05 PM

To be honest I do not think I have ever seen a wild cockatiel in Sydney.

I live in a leafy area so see many beautiful birds, but never a cockatiel. We see on a regular basis fairy blue wren, sulpher crested cuckatoos, crimson rosella and of course the rainbow lorikeet.

Less common we see black cuckatoo and eastern rosella.

There are some roosting trees about that are a sure way to see birds as they arrive in their thousands each evening. Maybe the botanic gardens has some roosting trees, I am not sure.
Jan 20th, 2006, 06:13 PM

TT, I've never seen one, either & I've lived in Sydney long enough to remember the birdlife before these rotten Indian Mynahs killed most of it off.

Funnily enough, saw a couple of pairs in a pet shop this morning, but they were the paler "cinnamon cockatiels", not the old grey/yellow ones we knew.

Jan 20th, 2006, 07:41 PM

"Cockatiel (Eclectus roratus) 43cm

"Only crested parrot. Male: face yellow with orange earpatch, plain tail. Female: face paler, tail and abdomen barred. White patch in wing obvious in flight, often in large flocks. Voice: plaintive 'queel', 'weero'. Nesting: unlined hollow in tree; 4-7 eggs. Range: increasingly common in woodland, plains, roadsides, clearings over most of drier areas of mainland Aust; some records in Tas."
- The Slater Field Guide to Australian Birds

The accompanying map indicates that they aren't to be found in or around Sydney.
Jan 21st, 2006, 02:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. I have always loved cockatiels and knew their were native to the country so crossed my fingers that I might be able to see some locals Thank you. I may try to see some other native birds.