Search

Changing Aussie dollars to NZ dollars

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2006, 02:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing Aussie dollars to NZ dollars

Hi there,
we will be coming to NZ at the end of the month and are wondering what is the best way to be cashed up.
We are from Australia. Is it easy to cash Aussie dollars to NZ dollars or is it best to get travellers cheques?
What about ATM's?
Thanks in advance
Donna
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 03:32 AM

I would use the ATM. When I left Australia to come back to the states, I wanted to exchange $40 Aussie dollars into U.S. money. The finance charge would have been around $15, so I purchased items in the duty free area. Mostly alcohol. I don't know if they would let be board the plane with it today--furthermore, I had a connecting flight in London and I'm sure that would really be a problem.
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 10:51 AM

Just use ATMs anywhere in NZ. Travellers cheques are pretty much irrelevant these days.

What I do suggest is that when travelling anywhere you should have credit/ATM cards issued by two banks/credit unions. You carry Bank A's card and your partner carry Bank B's card. That way, if one of you loses your card, or it's eaten by an ATM, you only have to put a stop on that account.

Check that your cards are enabled to use the Plus or Cirrus ATM networks, which enable them to be used overseas. The network's logo should be displayed on your card and on ATMs.

I just read that the Commonwealth Bank has increased its fee for overseas withdrawals to $5, plus I think 1% of the AU$ amount withdrawn. Whatever the bank, therefore, it's best not to withdraw cash in small dribs and drabs.
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 10:56 AM

Def ATM's they are everywhere and almost every shop has eftpos (bank card / credit card) facilities. unlike the states where you have to carry cash everywhere.

don't use travellers cheques!

All the best
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 12:49 PM

"unlike the states where you have to carry cash everywhere"

? We've just spent 5 weeks in the US, most of it in small towns, some prety remote, and had no problem paying by CC for all but minor purchases. Admittedly we didn't use EFTPOS, but saw no need to -just hit an ATM every few days for a modest cash float.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 01:39 AM

We changed some aussie dollars to NZ at the ANZ bank at the airport. I also used a Cash Passport card from Travelex. Set up fee and then you put in aussie dollars- however much you want. In NZ you go to any Visa ATM - they are everywhere and you withdraw NZ dollars. It is best not to withdraw small amounts as there is a transaction fee. If you have any cash left when you return ( ha ha !!) you simply withdraw it in Aussie dollars. You get 2 cards with pin numbers , they stay active for 3 years and can be re-charged any time. We used ours in Thailand last year then NZ this year.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 11:44 AM

Just use your ATM card. \

The other cards created for ATM use while traveling are a total ripoff IMHO, as are travelers checks.

Also I live in the states and never carry cash. The only place I HAVE to use cash is if I unfortunately hop into a taxi that doesn't accept CCs or when I am parking at my university.