Search

Canberra accommodation

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canberra accommodation

Hi,
I will be in Canberra for 3 nights in January, with my son, aged 6.

He is mad about Egypt so we will be going to see the Egyptian antiquities exhibition at the National Gallery.

The 2nd day we will possibly go to the museum.

We will be without a car, so relying on bus or taxi for transport.

I am looking for advice about a good place to stay, eg, hotel or apartment, in the say, $100-$125 per night range.

Not sure if city location, or 'gallery side' of the bridge would be best?

Have heard Manuka/Kingston area suggested? Or CBD?

Thanks in advance for your wonderful advice!

Old Dec 8th, 2006, 12:02 AM

Hi Steggy,
NeilOz will be your best bet if he's around but in the meantime, you might check out www.wotif.com.au. There seem to be a few in your price range, but remember January is school holidays here, so it might be worthwhile booking ahead. (Sorry if you're Australian - you'll already know that! LOL))

I've used the Saville Apartments a few times and found it very convenient, well priced. They often offer packages in conjunction with the National Gallery. Ask wherever you do book, they may also have some specials to include admission to other attractions. Speak with the Canberra Tourism people, I've always found them very helpful.
I'm pretty sure there are 'hop on, hop off' buses which would take you to the Gallery and any other attractions you wanted to take in while you're there.

Canberra's fantastic for kids! I used to take my nephew down there a lot - gave me a legitimate reason for being in Questacom & the other "kids" attractions (LOL).
Good for your boy, it's great to see him developing an interest in Egypt.
Enjoy your trip.

Old Dec 8th, 2006, 05:22 AM

Yes, Manuka and Kingston would be great locations for you and your son. I think they would be preferable to the CBD because there would be parks and open areas nearby for your son. We used to live in Canberra and now when we go back to visit, we stay at the Manuka Park Apartments, but I think their rates are more than the range you listed. Although I know NOTHING personally about the following two properties, you may want to look at Telopea Inn on the Park or the Forrest Inn. Both are located in or near Manuka and both are on or near parks. Their rates should be, I believe, in the range you listed.
DO be sure to take your son to Questacon, the fabulous hands-on science museum, while you are in Canberra. I can assure you that you both with have a great time!
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Original Poster

Thankyou Bokhara and Longhorn55 for your replies and advice.

I am finding wotif.com very useful, and has good maps of the area.

I am thinking that Kingston/Manuka would be better than staying in the city.

Does anyone know the name of the streets in K/M that have the main shops?

I will ring the Canberra tourism people on Monday as well. Would also be interested in hearing from NeilOz as he seems to be the Canberra expert around here?

Thanks again.
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 09:16 PM

Steggy, I live in Canberra, but unfortunately that means that I've never stayed in any hotels or motels here, so I'm ashamed to say that I'm no use in terms of recommendations. But I endorse the Kingston/Manuka area.

I can tell you that Kingston and Manuka are very compact, and Manuka is much the livelier of the two centres.

Manuka: for some reason it isn't pronounced like the NZ plant which I assume it's named after, but as "MAHN'uh'ka". There's no such suburb as Manuka, much as there is no such suburb as Kings Cross. I think it actually falls within Forrest. Anyway, the business centre is bounded by Manuka Circle, Bougainville St, Flinders Way and Furneaux St.

Kingston: the shopping/eating block is bounded by Jardine, Kennedy, Giles and Eyre Sts. If you walk NW and cross Wentworth Ave you'll find the Old Bus Depot Markets, which are a good place to visit on Sundays.

If you have time and weather permits, you can rent bikes and ride along the lakeshore, another good thing to do - the National Museum, NGA and Questacon are easily accessible that way.