Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Can you sail to New Zealand/Australia from the US....and back ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2004, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My parents,who travel extensively are planning their next trip to New Zealand. They mentioned not flying and if it is possible to sail there from the West Coast or Vancouver...I did a little research but have limited resources and can only find a way as far as Hawaii, and no way back either....They are not even necessarily interetsed in a "cruise ship"...any ideas on where to research this possible adventure?
Old May 19th, 2004, 07:38 AM

Hi Wednesday,

I just did a quick look and here is one cruise company that fit the bill:

http://www.1cruise.com/radisson/navigator.htm

Cheers

Paul_S
Old May 19th, 2004, 08:31 AM

Hello Wednesday,

In addition to following up Paul's lead, you might try Lonely Planet's discussion forum, if you haven't already done so. In my few visits there, I've found it to be more adventure oriented than Fodors.

Another idea about which I know almost nothing, but which I did see mentioned on another travel discussion forum, is the concept of travelling on a freight ship or cargo ship. According to that source, cargo ships typically take a few passengers, the rates are cheaper than they are for cruises, and the accommodations supposedly are surprisingly comfortable. It could be something worth pursuing.

Just a couple of thoughts.
Old May 19th, 2004, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much !!!
I will do both,I have never checked out Lonely Planet although I have seen it mentioned many times...
Old May 19th, 2004, 04:13 PM

Have a look at this:
http://www.freightercruises.com/

Look at Australia / New Zealand

There are other cargo lines - just try searching ofor cargo cruises.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the info, they are enjoying reasearching and planning their adventures and this helps very much !
Old May 22nd, 2004, 05:21 AM

Hi Wednesday!

Re: travelling by cruise ship -- the traditional type of cruise ship would not have this type of route unless it was part of a round the world type of itinerary, which would take quite alot of time (and money). But you said your parents aren't interested in that type of experience anyway....sooo....onto freighter type travel

There are companies that take passengers on commercial freighter vessesls. I've only had one client that's done this - twice actually. One experience good, one very bad. While researching this for them I found that freighter travel didn't seem to be too much of a "bargain" like the "Aranui). (I think it's a case of it probably WAS once, but then they realized they could be making more money charging for passengers and upped the rate).

Also, you have no control over the ports -- they're putting in for cargo, so it's basically as long as it takes to load or offload.

Hope this is helpful!

Melodie

Old Jun 4th, 2004, 07:21 PM

Know I am late in reading and answering this, but we did a freighter from LA to Auckland a few years back, and loved it. Try www.freighterworld.com located in the LA area. The ships go on to Australia, and return. Their website has schedules and info on the ships prices etc.They are very pleasant to work with.Liz