Can you help me out ? Re:Fiji/Cook

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2003, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking of going to either Fiji or The Cook Islands for a week in late December and early January. Is this is good time of year to go ? Would we have good weather.

Also, are mosquito nets needed for slleping in Fiji ?
Jack and Carolyn
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 11:16 AM

That is their summer, hot, humid and rainy.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 10:45 PM

We're also going in December and we're not concerned. We'll be doing 2 weeks in the Cooks and are looking forward to it. Sure it will be hotter and humid than what we're used to at home - but we'll just pack accordingly. I highlyg doubt that it would rain every day while you're there. Am I wrong, anyone?
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 06:40 AM

Been to the Cooks, but not Fiji (though I have researched it a bit). I suspect you will get some rain. Jacketwatch is right in that it is their summer and is therefor the hottest and wettest time of the year. You will almost certainly get some rain. You may even get some days where it rains all day, and possibly even encounter a typhoon - this last is very unlikely however as both of these places are ourside the normal storm tracks. The Cooks generally get a big typhoon once a decade or so (I think it's a bit more frequent in Fiji) - or about the same frequency as Hawaii. Fiji tends to be both hotter and wetter - however, unlike the Cooks, some of the Fijian islands are both large enough and high enough to have "dry sides" (as they have in Hawaii) where the weather tends to be sunnier (even during the rainy season).

Having issued that warning, chances are pretty good that your weather will be acceptable. Rain in that part of the world USUALLY occurs in brief heavy downpours (often at night) with 80-90 percent of the time (even during the rainy season) being dry.

We actually prefer to go to the South Pacific during the rainy season as the crowds are smaller, the prices are often lower, and the water is warmer.

It seems to me that the biggest drawback about the weather down there during the rainy season is not so much that it is rainy, but that it is humid.

In general, I believe that there is NO bad time to go. These are lush, green islands that are both lush and green for a reason. It rains alot (even during the "dry" season. You have to expect some rain and go with the flow. If rain is a real concern, consider the Carribean instead.

Ken
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ken for the detailed information. That is just what I needed. We are considering the Caribbean
as well. We live in Florida so the humidity would not be a shock. This will be a tough decision.
Scuba, sport fishing, and snorkeling are all things we plan to other (other than drink something strong in a funny glass with fruit hanging out of it.
Jack