camping at Milford and pre-booking campgrounds in Jan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2005, 11:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you to all the knowledgeable and generous souls answering questions on this site. I'v searched the archives and you've already answered most of my uncertainties in planning two and a half weeks in NZ in January 06.
Is it possible to stay in a camper van, either free camp or in a campground, close to Milford Sound? We'd love to do the overnight cruise, but it's over our budget. We figured by staying there the night, we would get quiet time, and maybe a chance to kayak when the crowds depart to Te Anau etc.

Because we are visiting in peak season, early to mid January, the reason we splurged on a camper van was to give freedom not to have to pre book accomodation, which always seems to be restrictive. Now the worrier one of us, (not moi), thinks we should pre book caravan parks, which somewhat defeats the purpose.
Grateful for any ideas, insights, wisdom, warnings.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 12:17 AM

Hi deltalady,
If it was me I would be booking in January. It is the peak holiday time for New Zealanders as schools are closed from late December until early February, and families go camping. My husband and I travel round the South Island in January every year, and there are many campervans on the road, and camping grounds seem to be quite busy.
Have you considered doing one of the daytime cruises on Milford? They are worthwhile.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 02:27 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the advice dotty. Do you think it would be enough to telephone and book at camping grounds just a day or so ahead? Or would it need to be a long time ahead, ie all stitched up before we arrive?

We will definitely do a daytime cruise on Milford (absolute must), but would have loved the overnight one if funds had stretched that far - so we're hoping, if it is possible to camp there, to get in some extra time there as well.
Old Sep 20th, 2005, 11:34 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
deltalady -

Here's a site that lists several camp sites in the Milford area. Perhaps if you send them an e-mail they can help with your questions regarding booking in advance.

http://www.tourism.net.nz/region/fio...holiday-parks/
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Melnq8 for that address. Don't know how i missed that one - it sure looks promising.
deltalady
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 07:03 PM

There is one camping ground at Milford Sound. Milford Lodge has van parks, Not sure, but i doubt they would have power hookups, as the Lodge has their own generator, and has to be careful how much load is placed on it.
There are numerous DOC (Department of Conservation) camping sites along the Milford road. These have a toilet (long drop) and usually a camping table. They are uncontrolled, and it's first in first served, but they are also cheap (donation, usually $5).
Outside of towns, you can camp most anywhere in New Zealand. If you decide to 'free camp' you are better to either chose a spot with other campers, or get well off the road, and out of site. Watch for accumulations of beer bottles, as this will indicate that the local youth probably use the spot for late night drinking sessions.
NZ is generally a safe place, but we have our share of useless layabouts who's sole purpose in life is to stuff it up for other people.
You will probably have no trouble with camp sites outside of the main tourist spots, (Queenstown, Te Anau, Wanaka), and probably then only between Xmas and about mid January. Usually phoning ahead by a couple of days will get you a site.
Good luck.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Hey vbca,
Thanks heaps for that information about Milford and camping - exactly what i needed to know.
Fodor folks rock!