Cairns

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cairns

We will be in Cairns in Feb. for 2 days. We are scheduled for a trip to Cape Tribulation and Daintree with Billy Tea Bush Safari. For our next day should we do the Skyrail and Kuranda train or find a snorkeling-diving trip to the GBR? We are divers, but will not be able to take our equipment. We are spenThank you K
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 01:25 AM

What do you really want to do?
Have you dived the reef before?

Muck
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

I guess I left off the most important part. from Cairns we are taking the train to Gladestone and going to Herron Island, so we will get some diving in, but wonder if the reef is different in different places.
By the way, my husband is a train buff, so I wonder if it's worth it or will we have a similar experience on the tour. Thank you, K
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 11:44 PM
aby

K
Daintree & cape trib is a good day in nature
Kuranda is more touristic but having said that it is anice day
GBR is not astonishing at all. Although it is so Great only u sample a certain point. some other reefs i've seen r much more diversified)
I think u pay 4 on board equipment
aby
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 01:34 PM

The Great Barrier Reef is amazing as its 2,700 klms long and can be seen from Outer Space. Some people get to a town and go out on part of the reef for one day where about 1,000 people go to each and every day and there are lots of boats etc, those areas are not particularly good because of the traffic around and its unfortunate that those people will say "I saw the GBR and it was not particularly wonderful" when in fact they went to probably the worst area with probably the cheapest tour operator. The areas that are used and cared for with the ecology in mind are spectacular, varied and magnificent. In other words you pay for what you get - its that simple. There are many areas around Australia that have places to dive on and unless you want to see the best you may as well just go to those areas than go to a "less than wonderful"area of the GBR. A previous poster noted that as they had lived in Okinawa and had dived there the GBR was not a "must". That is what I am getting at in effect. The GBR IS A MUST if you want the best but unless you pay for the best you will be disapointed. Heron Island is great for diving but it is different from some of the wonderful sites in other areas of the GBR as the reef is as diverse an area as you would find in 2,700 klm on land. If you are experienced divers then you will know the right people to talk to and get the right answers for what you want.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 03:38 PM

Thanks,Liz, for your informative post.I am in the early stage of planning my first Australia trip and have been thinking about including a GBR visit.I'm sure to ask some questions as I learn more.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 03:42 PM

If you wanted a sensational dive and you had the time then you would go over to Ningaloo Reef in NW Western Australia which is unique and you would go at the time you could dive with the whale sharks - if that is your thing.