Search

Bugs in Fiji?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 06:14 PM
fran

Bugs in Fiji?

Are there bugs (specifically, roaches) in the bures on the Island resorts? How bad are the mosquitos?

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 06:41 PM
Diane

Fran, <BR>During the sixteen wonderful days we spent in Fiji we saw no bugs in our bure and after the first night didn't use the netting over the bed...felt too confining. My sister did however dodge a large incoming roach on the balcony of out second story hotel room. The three of us got the odd mosquito bite but nothing that bothered us. I'm not sure if they are worse at any given time of the year, we were there in November. <BR>Diane

Old Jul 22nd, 2001, 07:52 PM
John

We stayed in a middle-range place on Taveuni (also November) and had big roaches in the "bure" (cottage), one of which was bold enough to stroll across my person while I was in bed - not the best way to wake up in the middle of the night, sadly. <BR> <BR>We also had to leave a couple of days ahead of schedule because numerous mosquito bites on my wife's legs started getting infected - she needed the hotel doctor when we fled to the Sheraton at Nadi. <BR> <BR>But this is the tropics and bugs happen. We've experienced worse for sure, and in places not half as wonderful as Fiji.

Old Jul 22nd, 2001, 09:35 PM
marcia

Fran, <BR>About 7 yrs. ago we stayed at Turtle Island in May. We didn't encounter roaches but did encounter alot of Wasps in our bure. They told us this was common that time of the year. Every time we entered we had to go around and spray insect repellant on them to kill them. They would be by the windows. Also one morning I got up to find a centepede on the bathroom floor. We came back with a fair number of mosquito bites or those "no see ems" which are like sand fleas I guess. We kept a pair of thongs next to the bed to slip on if we got up in the middle of the night. After leaving Turtle Island we spent a few nights in Nadi at the Sheraton, there we din't see any wasp or roaches. I did get a few more bites though. <BR>Marcia

Old Jul 22nd, 2001, 11:20 PM
jeff

there's a little bit of Dengue Fever in Fiji. It's uncommon so staistically you're unlikely to have a problem. But it is spread by mosquitoes. A can of low irritant fly spray in your bure is a very low cost bit of prevention.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 04:20 PM
Eric

Yes there are. Much will depend on your resort. We stayed at Taveuni Island Resort and did not have a problem. When they turn down your bed in the evening, they close your doors and windows, and the screens kept everything out. We also had a nice mosquito netting on the bed. <BR> <BR>We had a horrible experience at Dive Kadavu, which had roaches and other creepy crawlies in the room. They do, however, give you complimentary roach spray (how nice?). The place was a pit. Stay away. <BR> <BR>Stick to the nice resorts and you'll do fine.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 04:35 PM
Louis

I think as somebody said, it depends on a lot of things. The time of year, where you stay, and the quality of the managment. We have been in Fiji in May two times either on small island resorts or on board a Blue Lagoon ship. Inspite of what I would expect compared to parts of the USA and the Caribbean we had not observation or contact with any insect or did we use our mosquito netting. It was the luck of the draw. We had similar luck last May at Guana Island in the BVI. This has not been the case in other parts of the world including the USA.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 04:45 PM
Louis

I should have asked as I do not know the answer. What is wrong with roaches? I really don't know of any harm that can come from them as compared to mosquitoes and others. We have them all over San Diego and if you do not keep the cracks under the outside doors sealed they will be into your house looking for food. I will admit that if you live on the 20th floor on East 60th in NYC, they have a hard time pushing the elevator button. However you do have to watch the stairs.

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 08:00 AM
Keisteen

We stayed at Matangi for 9 nights in April and the only critters we encountered were tiny ants. Not a big problem, but a bit annoying. <BR> <BR>The resort has numerous cats and one moring I woke up to a cat crying otside my bure. He had a present for us - a dead bat!! Now that was an interesting experience!