Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Brisbane to Noosa Heads; Noosa highlights; Driving/mapping web site for Australia/NZ

Search

Brisbane to Noosa Heads; Noosa highlights; Driving/mapping web site for Australia/NZ

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Two questions:

1) What is the driving time from Brisbane to Noosa Heads?
2) Is there a website -- similar to mapquest.com, mappy.com, etc -- for plotting point to point directions for Australia and/or New Zealand?

Also, any favorite restaurants or things to see/do at Noosa or in the surrounding area? Thanks.

Thanks for your help.

John H
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 03:54 PM

We were in Noosa last November. Driving time between Brisbane and Noosa is about 2 hours. There is a route mapper that I can't find at the moment but I'm sure our Aussie friends will shortly point one out.
Lots of things to do around Noosa. We especially enjoyed the Everglades tour by Everglades Water Bus Co. Also found Steve Irwin's Australia Zoo much better than expected. Good food everywhere in Noosa. Liked Riva best. Also Sails was very good.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 04:48 PM

The drive from Brisbane to Noosa is fairly easy - if ur hiring a car, it will have a decent street directory in it - Noosa is a fairly straight-forward drive up the Bruce Highway / Motorway.

Aside from the restaurants and the boutique shopping, the Beach is the real highlight of Noosa.

On our last stay up there (in Hastings street), it was magical to get up on a couple of mornings to watch the dolphins playing in the Bay.

The National Park is also great. In school holidays (not sure about other times) they have ranger-guided walks to explain the flora and fauna of the Park (and see some Koalas if ur lucky!)
Aside from that, there are some great walks to beaches in the Park, including the spectacular Alexandria Bay, which is "un-officially" Clothing Optional.

If ur not used to the surf, take care on all of these beaches, as only the main Noosa Beach is patrolled, and there can be dangerous rips and big waves.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 05:03 PM

Hi, jh6000!

The closest we can get to mapquest would be one of these three; hope that, used separately or together, they give you what you want!

http://www.whereis.com.au/whereis/home.jsp

http://www.street-directory.com.au/aus_new/index.cgi

http://www.mynrma.com.au/maps_maps_australia.asp
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 05:09 PM

jh6000 - the drive from Brisbane to Noosa is approx. 2 hrs. Take the Bruce Highway north, and stay on the highway, until you see a sign indicating Noosa Heads. There is another Motorway called Sunshine Motorway, which runs from Maroochydore towards Noosa f(away from the main highway), but with the increase in human population on S/Coast, the traffic on that road tends to slow down. Noosa Heads is okay, not like it was 30 yrs ago when I first visited, a quiet beach village. Unfortunately, with time, people have tended to love this place to death. You will know what I mean when you visit (try getting a car park in Hasting Street these days), and also it can get crowded. The beach is probably the main attraction at Noosa, as it faces directly north, and doesn't always get waves. Unfortunately, of recent times, an algae from coral polyps I believe, have been washing into Noosa Beach, and causing a foul smell for months.
I visit the Sunshine Coast probably each 2nd month on business. Its still okay, just too many people now. If the beach at Noosa has algae on it, then go around to Sunshine Beach, as it is not affected. Lots of good restaurants in Noosa (not cheap, but good food)
When I stay in Noosa, I book an self contained apartment, around the headlands, between Noosa & the National Park.
Make sure you drive around to the National Park, park there, and walk around to some great beaches. Take care on these beaches, as they are not patrolled, and recently a young boy drowned there.
If staying at Noosa, try to visit the Eumundi Markets (Saturday mornings), the Ginger Factory at Yandina (nice tropical gardens there also), a lake cruise from Boreen Point, coffee at one of the cafes at Cooroy or Pomona.
There are organised day trips from Noosa to Fraser Island, and also along the Cooloola National Park, wreck of Cherry Venture. You could also take a drive to Imbil on the mary valley Way, and don't forget the Sunshine Coast Hinterland - lots of cafes/shops at Maleny, Montville etc.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 06:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
John, the Map Maker section on www.travelmate.com.au will give you driving times and driving directions for Australia.
Happy planning.
Kay
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the great info so far -- much appreciated.

FYI: I will likely be visiting Noosa Heads in late April, if that makes a difference in any thoughts or recommendations.

Thanks.

John H.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 03:41 AM

Hello. There's also a nude beach at noosa. My advice, steer clear of it unless you enjoy seeing naked droopy old victorian immigrants with no clothes on.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 02:05 PM

Brisbanite,

Spoken like a true leering tourist!

The reason most of us go to nude beaches is to enjoy the freedom of swimming and sunning without wet, soggy bathers. Old and droopy or young and taut doesn't really matter.

We're quite happy if those who only want to leer stay away, but for the rest, on holiday in Noosa is a great way to do something "bold" and different, and it might just open your mind to a new way of life!