Search

Brisbane sidetrip???

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2003, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brisbane sidetrip???

my daughter, currently at univ.melbourne wants to take a side trip from sydney to brisbane when mom and dad come to visit in order to experience the beaches in the area. any suggestions for a 3 day trip? thinking about flying to brisbane and renting a car--april 22-25. what will be the weather? is there a better beach trip short of great barrier reef--don't want to fly that far.
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 07:43 PM

It won't be beach weather 'though it will be nice and mild. Either the Sunshine Coast or the Gold Coast are the best areas for beaches near Brisbane which are 120 klm & 90 Klm in distrance from Brisbane.
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 10:15 PM

Get a cheap flight to Coolangatta with virgin blue and rent an economical car from red heart rentals.<BR>Take a few days beach hopping from Byron to Surfers.It will be just after easter break...april 25 is a public holiday.<BR><BR>If you are looking for a quieter spot...Broken Head is hard to beat.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 03:10 AM

If you want glitz and high-rise hotels, go to the Gold Coast south of Brisbane. If you want something quieter, go north to the Sunshine Coast. Noosa is my idea of heaven, but it can be expensive.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 01:11 PM

I note that someone suggested Noosa - if you want good beaches then Noosa does not rate. Johhj has the right idea I think and then there would be something for your daughter and something for yourselves. Easter is a wonderful time at Byron for youngees but none of these places will really be all that warm for swimming unless you are used to a cold climate - then they will be OK. Otherwise a flight to Hamilton Island would be your best bet.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 12:03 AM

Oh lizf how could you be so mean and put a downer on Noosa? What about Sunrise and Sunshine beaches, only a stones throw from Noosa?<BR>Noosa might be expensive to stay in but there are excellent holiday apartments at Peregian beach for instance very reasonably priced.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 01:42 AM

KathyNZ, I agree with you about the beaches. Noosa has long been popular with surfers, but you also have the choice of the small but nice beach just off Hastings Street, or a walk through the national park (koala spotting on the way) to Alexandria Bay.<BR><BR>Another option is a trip from Noosa to Fraser Island. I know you can't swim in the surf, but there are some wonderful freshwater lakes on the island.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 01:13 PM

I am not putting a downer on Noosa but unless you have a car you can't really get to the other beaches around and there is a great lack of unfrastructure with transport etc. I wouldn't swim at that time of year and there is little else unless you are into relaxation big time. <BR>I suggested the Gold Coast and surrounds because of the variety of things to do and places to go - even on Public Transport.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

most of what is posted is chat between you posters. i am looking for details--i know nothing about the area--nothing. if you were to come to boston MA i would be happy to tell you about specific places to go. tours to take,where to go to really experience things--i'm not looking for general information, i'm looking for good, insider help--where do i go to roller blade, to take a great hike, to drive and see something spectacular. i'm happy for whatever info i can get, but i really want someone to help me with almost a blow by blow &quot;do this and that&quot; the best trip i took in my life was when a gentleman from germany gave me a step by step &quot;to do&quot; list for the rhine valley where he lived--i followed it exactly and had the time of my life.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 07:41 PM

Hi<BR><BR>I posted a lengthy reply but seem to have messed it up as I'm a novice at this. Justg sending this message to see if it arrives.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 09:05 PM

dtraynor, we are not travel agents and we don't know what you like or dislike. For starters try searching the web for Gold Coast Australia and that will give you links and ideas from there or do a search on this board. If people suggest something then that is the best place for you to start.
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 01:37 AM

Sorry if this has developed into a chat between posters. It seems we have divided up between Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast factions. That is hardly surprising, because the two are very different, and attract different kinds of people. For Gold Coast, think Miami Beach, and you won't be far off. Your daughter may prefer it, because there is more for young people to do there. The Sunshine Coast is quieter and less developed, and Noosa Heads is an upmarket resort with a small national park attached. For more info on this resort, go to http://www.tourismnoosa.com.au/. <BR><BR>I do agree with lizF that we are not travel agents, and don't know your tastes and interests, so all we can offer are our opinions. Do a Google or a Yahoo.com.au search, and you will unearth far more info than we can provide on Travel Talk. Also, there are many good guidebooks on the market, so make a trip to the bookstore.<BR><BR>You may find that it is best to base yourself in Brisbane, and take day trips to the coast, Steve Irwin's Australia Zoo, Glass House Mountains, etc.
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

i don't think you guys estimate your input highly enough!!! of course I have already done all of the preliminary searches--i have been narrowing down locations for 2 months(as you would need to do in coming to u.s.) now, i am looking for insider information in order to plan the particulars. For example I live in a suburb north of boston mass. and although YOU could read many, many guide books on the area, I could give you information about places to go and see that you would NEVER get otherwise. Don't be insulted, just realize that what individuals have to offer is invaluable--thus the beauty of this site!!!
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 02:02 PM

This is the first half of a reply I tried to send yesterday without success, maybe it was too long. Just say if you're interested to seee the rest - Hi I’m a Gold Coast resident, formerly from Brisbane, and a regular holidaymaker at the Sunshine Coast (when this year’s budget doesn’t allow for an overseas trip, which is regrettably too often)<BR><BR>April 22 will not be too cold unless the weather is unseasonal and if you are active people you will have no trouble swimming in the ocean at the Gold or Sunshine Coasts. Good weather to be out in the sun as you won’t burn as much as in the height of summer.<BR>Take the earlier suggestion of the flight into Coolangatta which is at the southern end of the Gold Coast, a coastal strip of beach interrupted only by glorious headlands, of about 30 km. First turn your rental car right out of the airport onto the Gold Coast highway (which runs close the coast in its entirety-you can’t get lost) and travel south aout 3km to Rainbow Bay and Snapper Rocks where the recent Quiksilver Pro surfing competition was held. Have a coffee at the Rainbow Bay Surf Lifesaving Club (visitors very welcome) for a view north of the entire Gold Coast beaches, headlands and Surfers Paradise high rises.<BR><BR> Head north again along the GC Highway and stop at Burleigh Heads (that’s where I live)– anywhere near the surf club you can find a park – take the path through the National Park around the front of the headland then when you are almost at the bridge at the other end there’s a path up over the top of the headland for more great views (and an increase in your pulse rate) Total about 3.5km. Have a swim at Burleigh beach and lunch at the surf clucheaper) or at Mermaids (less cheap) in the Beach pavilion nearby. Drive north along G C Highway – do not go to Surfers Paradise unless you have some nostalgia for Waikiki
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 02:11 PM

Agree with above writer that unless you are 18 give Surfer's Paradise a miss but the rest is wonderful - I did note this on another post so will also post it here for you and you can see what we mean<BR>Message: Start with this web site<BR>http://www.queensland-holidays.com.au/pfm/regions/goldcoast/index.htm<BR><BR>and good luck!<BR><BR>I know the northern suburbs of Boston right up to Salem so I know what you mean about insider information. But before you go anywhere check out these sights first then ask if we think these areas/activity is worth it. Also we would need to know if you like natural things/ fun things/ just swimming at the beach / visiting rain forests/ tasting wine / treking National parks / seeing animals - close or not so close etc etc.<BR>TTYL<BR><BR><BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR>
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 02:39 PM

Ok dtraynor you asked for it<BR>..in general you have to decide whether you are doing gold coast or sunshine coast.Assuming south of brisbane..here goes (i suspect you may have to take a crash course in aussie irony)<BR><BR>day 1<BR>5.30 am get ur daughter out of bed and catch the first flight sydney-coolangatta (you will get cheap seats )<BR>8.00 pick up hire car at cool airport.<BR>8.30 am get out of cool airport after having learnt to drive on the left hand side.<BR>9.00 am drive to rainbow/point danger..check out coastline as per dougw.<BR>9.30 act like dumb yanks at breakfast while looking at a map of the area.Ask ppl at next table how to get to byron bay.<BR>10.30 am drive south on pacific highway to brunswick heads.Check out imposing mt warning from the highway.<BR>12.00 am stop at brunswick heads fish coop to buy fresh prawns.Have a seafood picnic by the riverfront at brunswick.Have a beer at the brunswick hotel.<BR>1.00 pm Drive to byron.check in at motel by the beachfront.Book evening bay cruise, dolphin sea kayak,surf lesson,snorkling julian rocks.<BR>afternoon walk to the lighthouse via pass and wategos.<BR>evening bay cruise,beer at beach hotel,eat at Finns.go to backpacker haunt.<BR>Day 2<BR>to follow.<BR><BR><BR><BR>
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

johhj--where is the 2nd page....i'm psyched!!!!!! this is great!!!!!!
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 03:28 PM

ok dtraynor you're a tiger for punishment....<BR><BR>Wherever you go please be aware that this easter/anzac day period will be busy...so plan/book ahead.<BR>Day 2<BR>6.00 am Flick pass the drongo backpacker your daughter picked up last night out of your motel room<BR>6.30 am swim your laps at the byron pool<BR>7.30 have a surf at clarks beach<BR>8.00 breakfast at the beach cafe.<BR>(alternatively if you are risque go to kings beach...)<BR>9.30 join dolphin sea kayak or surf lesson or julian rocks snorkel or tandem hang glider group.<BR>12 buy picnic lunch <BR>if it is a sunday visit craft markets.<BR><BR>drive to mt warning..climb mt warning..picnic at summit.<BR>4 beer at mt warning hotel uki<BR>4.30 freshwater awim at natural arch numinbah<BR><BR>5.30 visit currumbin wildlife sanctuary<BR>cuddle koala,feed the birds....<BR><BR>8.30 check in at surfers paradise hotel<BR>dinner and pub crawl at surfers.<BR><BR>Day 3<BR>Take small plane flight from surfers to Lady Elliot island for coral reef snorkelling etc enjoy spectacular flight over the sand islands and coast.<BR><BR>Day 4<BR>Last surf<BR>return car<BR>catch flight to boston.<BR>root red socks home to first world series in 17 years.<BR><BR>Good luck<BR>
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

this is what i was looking for. thank you for your time. come to boston---i'll do the same for you!!!!
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

okay--booked my flight to brisbane. i'm getting in at 5:00 on wed. april 23. now....we want to drive to gold coast and need suggestion on a place to stay. want nice---not luxury, but on beach--good location and not a lot of 18 year olds. is byron bay appropriate or...somewhere else? we really want to do the dolphin kayaking. can you give me a motel name? i couldn't find the name of the byron motel mentioned in the posting. thanx guys!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -