Reload this Page >

Bridge Climb - Your "stuff"

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 03:12 PM
Sandy

Hi - Just wondering...what can you take with you on the climb? What about a camera/video camera etc? Thanks.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 04:09 PM
Mina

Hi Sandy!<BR><BR>You are allowed to take one thing: squat. <BR><BR>Actually, that's not entirely true...you are allowed to take either glasses or sunglasses. No cameras, or anything else. They will take pictures up there for you, and the group picture is included in the price.<BR><BR>They gave you a hat, jacket, and even a scrunchie if you need it...all somehow attached to you. Also, keep in mind you will need enclosed shoes with rubber soles (I would imagine leather soles would slip). If you wear any type of backless shoe, they won't let you go up.<BR><BR>All of this is to make sure nothing falls to the traffic below.<BR><BR>It's a lot of fun...have a groovy time.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 04:20 PM
Debbie

Hi Sandy--<BR>All the do's and don'ts are found on their website, www.bridgeclimb.com, but I will let you know that they don't allow you to bring cameras of any kind. The guide has a camera though, and you will be given one complimentary group photo. He (or she) will take several individual shots along the way too but you have to buy those.<BR><BR>The bridge climb people are rather particular about safety--which is a good thing!--and nothing that could blow away, dangle or has the possibility of being dropped on a moving car is allowed. That includes coins in your pocket, dangling earrings and bracelets. Everything you wear is either under your bridge climb suit or attached to it. I was told I could wear my stud earings (but I didn't) and ring(unless it would slip off). You will have a magnetometer (metal detector) run along your body to make sure you're not hiding any 'contriband'. You'll also have to pass a breathalizer (sp?) test before climbing.<BR><BR>It's great fun and you will surely enjoy the experience. I'm a big scaredy cat when it comes to heights and LOVED it. As a matter of fact, everyone I met did too! It was one of the many great things I did on my trip.<BR><BR>Have fun!<BR>Debbie

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 04:27 PM
Debbie

Hi Mina--<BR>I'm glad you were posting at the same time I was, because I forgot to tell Sandy you can wear sunglasses! (Sandy--They will give you one of those granny strings to hold them on!)<BR><BR>Have fun in Ireland, Mina!<BR>Debbie

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 05:16 PM
Sandy

Hi Debbie and Minna - Thanks so much for the information. I'm really excited to do this. I hear that the same company that began this Bridge Climb is trying to do it here in NY with the Brooklyn Bridge! Can't imagine that!!! Again, thanks.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 09:12 PM
Mina

Sandy, it'd be quite the view from that bridge!<BR><BR>Debbie, that's OK...I forgot to tell her she has to take a booze test. Not that most people are tempted to liquor up before climbing a few hundred feet up...but you never know!<BR><BR>I'll have a pint for ya in Ireland.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 07:48 AM
pat

You also get a locker to lock your things in, before you go up.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 08:03 AM
jake

The photos they take of you while on top of the bridge are not that expensive to purchase at the end. Our tour was at 3:55 p.m. so the sun set while we were out. We just had to get 2 photos (one of us on the way up in the light with the Opera House behind us and the other of us after dark with the lights of Sydney).

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 09:30 AM
Abby

Sandy-you will love Bridge Climb. My advice is don't wear the little cap they give you (if you want one, not required) b/c you'll end up looking like a bank robber in your photo-at least I did! I thought it would be a good way to keep my hair from flying all over the place, but instead it looks like I"m bald or poised to rob a bank. They take a great photo of you overlooking the opera house and some other candid shots. Have fun!

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 09:30 AM
Abby

one more thing...Sandy, are you from Fairfield County, CT? I work there and recognized your optonline email.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 10:55 AM
Mina

Abby, your advice made me laugh out loud. <BR><BR>I thought the same thing when they offered me the hat. I chose the scrunchie instead for hair control purposes. I was one of the few in my picture who didn't look like a thug!

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 11:55 AM
jake

We had to wear the hats & miner's headlights because it was dark on our way down. Our pictures are pretty funny!

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 07:31 PM
lcuy

You guys must be tough...either that or it was a lot warmer when you did the climb than when I did! I took a hat and had it on by the time we climbed the first ladders. My ears were freezing!<BR>We pulled them off for the "formal" photo, so of course we have 'hat hair' in the pictures, but who expects beauty when you are up on a bridge like that?<BR>It was SO much fun!