Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Books to read and films to see before our trip to Australia

Oct 11th, 2002, 12:51 PM
Jon

Please recommend books and films worthy reading and seeing before our trip.
Thanks

Oct 11th, 2002, 12:57 PM
Mina

I got a kick out of Bill Bryson's "In a Sunburned Country".

I also liked Strictly Ballroom...it's a fun movie. I don't know how much you'll learn about Australia from it though.

Oct 11th, 2002, 01:25 PM
Jacqui

Three film recommendation for you:

The Dish
The Castle
Priscilla Queen of the Desert

You'll learn lots about the Australian sense of humour amd Priscilla has great scenary as well!

Oct 11th, 2002, 02:19 PM
Sarah

Not an authority but I did just start reading Blue Latitudes by Tony Horowitz. He traces the 3 voyages of Captain Cook in the pacific. Australia takes up two chapters this was the first western contact aboriginals had. Sorry if I am repeating what you already know. I am just loving this book. He puts very dry text from Cook's journals and blends with his current travels. Keeps you awake. He talks a lot about current social climate/blend of indigenous and European settlers as well as attitudes towarks Cook and us Westerner's in general.

go to lonely planet website and see suggested readings I find this helpful even when I am not going somewhere and want to explore contemporary lit that expresses the mood/history of a foreign country.

Oct 11th, 2002, 02:22 PM
s

Oh you probably saw this but I just love Murial's wedding. When it came out in Australia it was it's largest grossing film ever.

Oct 12th, 2002, 03:10 PM
Lin

Last time we were in Oz we stayed with someone we 'met' on this site. They rented The Castle for us and we found it hilarious. Kinda like an Aussie 'Canadian Bacon'. Have seen The Dish and Priscilla too, both great but I think you appreciate them all more once you have been to Oz and experienced the culture.

Oct 13th, 2002, 04:42 AM
Deb

Hi,
I'm in the middle of "One for the Road" by Tony Horwitz. It is about his hitchhiking journey around Australia. It gives you a good feel for the 'characters' that live in the Outback and the geography. It's funny account in the vein of Bill Bryson's book (which incidently I laughed out loud while I read it!)

Enjoy!
Debbie

Oct 13th, 2002, 04:49 PM
Alan

Hi, Jon!
And after you have done all that learning, take with you on the plane Clive James's "Unreliable Memoirs". The journey will fly by in a few minutes, and you will learn a lot about how Aussies think; you will end up reading passages aloud for your fellow passengers.

Oct 14th, 2002, 07:24 AM
pat

You might try to find a copy of "The Fatal Shore" from the library. It is about the convicts coming to Australia, and the way they were treated. You don`t need to read the whole book. A few chapters and you get the idea.

Oct 14th, 2002, 11:27 AM
pb

Absolutely, without a doubt read: "In a Sunburned Country" by Bill Bryson.

I gave a copy to my friend who lives in Adelaide and he LOVES it, too.

Oct 14th, 2002, 01:21 PM
xxx

How about The Man from Snowy River?

Oct 15th, 2002, 04:27 AM
Sarah

I would appreciate it if anyone knows any good book forums. This is not just a problem for someone going to Australia. There must be some great chatrooms out there where we can all find out about literature from around the world.

Oct 15th, 2002, 10:15 AM
carl

Classic movies that give you a sense of Aussie history in relation to England would be "Breaker Morant" and "Gallipoli". A recent film that explores the relationships between the Aussie government and the aborigones it "the Rabbit Proof Fence"

"The Fatal Shore" methodically covers the founding of Austrlia for transportation and the early development of the country. A more recent book discusses the second fleet from England to Australia. It's "The Floating Brothel". If you ever can't find an Aussie book on Amazon, try ozbooks.

Oct 15th, 2002, 11:41 AM
x

so good to know about ozbooks

Oct 16th, 2002, 03:00 PM
marg

Try 'Kings in grass castles' by Mary Durack and its sequel, to give you a perspective on early pioneering families. Also 'Ordinary people, extraordinary lives' by Margaret Carroll talks about present day Australians living in rural communities.
A good book to carry whilst travelling in Australia is 'Explore Australia' which will give you all the maps you need plus information on all the cities and towns in Australia.

Oct 16th, 2002, 07:28 PM
Melodie

Hands down, Bill Bryson for Sunburned Country,, that said, I am STILL trying to slog my way thru "Fatal Shore". It IS interesting, but slow going.
Melodie

Oct 17th, 2002, 10:28 AM
lisa

There is a wonderful book called "Tracks" -- a memoir of a woman's true-life ride across Australia on the back of a camel.

Oct 17th, 2002, 10:45 AM
SD

If you're interested in the plight of the Aborigines one of the best films I've seen is "Rabbit Proof Fence". It may not put Australians in the best light but it is a very powerful film.

Oct 17th, 2002, 02:39 PM
Matt

Be very careful when watching Rabbit Proof Fence. The film maker rewrote the story to make the aborigines lot seem worse than it actually was and to unfairly demonise the local authorities. The full "Hollywood" treatment. I think when film makers claim to make a "true story" they have an obligation to stick to the facts.

Nov 4th, 2002, 05:57 AM
Sarah

Anybody know any websites for Literature that focuses on New Zealand or Australian? Looking for lit that explores the indigenous pop of bothe countries.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO