Blue Mtn Trolley Tour instead of ExplorerLink bus

Dec 28th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Blue Mtn Trolley Tour instead of ExplorerLink bus

Everyone on this board recommends buying the Blue Mtns ExplorerLink ticket currently $48.80 that includes roundtrip train to Katoomba and the hop on-off Explorer Bus.

I've come across the Trolley Tours Co. in Katoomba that appears to have the same hourly pickup at the station, but only hourly instead of half-hourly buses along the rim. Plus they offer the Blue Mtn bus to Blackheath four times a day.
If we are going on a weekend, it appears the offpeak return train ticket is $17 and Trolley Tours is $20, so totals just $37.

Has anyone used Trolley Tours instead of Explorer Bus? Is my understanding of the less frequent schedule, but additional service correct?

We are planning a day trip from Sydney with plans to head to Echo Point, walk down the staircase and along the valley to ride the train up to Scenic World. Beyond that I am open to suggestions. I read that Blackheath and Govetts's Leap were scenic, thus the interest in the bus.
Dec 28th, 2008, 07:56 PM

Can't help with those companies, have used neither, but while you go to the B.M. make sure you figure out if you want to and can incorporate the trip to the Jenolan Caves (google them) - they are awesome. You need to look into that, because if you learned later on about them you'd be kicking yourself... The trolley company (and, from Sydney, ATA Kings) and maybe another take you there from Katoomba, so check out and google Jenolan Caves!
Dec 29th, 2008, 12:17 AM

DalaiLlama, sorry, it's AAT Kings (not ATA), and yes, Kay, Jenolan Caves are spectacular.

Govett's Leap is a beautiful, wondrous place to gaze from, and well worth a visit. There's a high waterfall falling into the deep valley below, and at the bottom is the Blue Gum Forest, a threatened stand of tall white eucalypts, with a very steep climb down and back.(not recommended by me, although I did it years ago, and slept overnight at the bottom.It's just too strenuous.) The Echo Point walk you plan is easy once down the stairs, and the walk back along the rim is rewarding too.

Dec 29th, 2008, 09:49 AM

Thanks, Carrabella.

Kay - while up in the B.M. also consider going to the Everglades Gardens in Leura - a beautiful peaceful oasis, bring a picnic or a book...

www.evergladesgardens.info

www.bluemts.com.au/tourist/towns/leura.asp
Dec 29th, 2008, 07:11 PM

You would need another whole day to do http://www.jenolancaves.org.au/ justice.

If the trolley bus service gets you to the locations you want at a cheaper price, probably no reason not to use it for both are just buses doing the rounds.
Dec 30th, 2008, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Because we ended up with a long day trip instead of overnight (husband preferred not to have 2 one-night hotel stays) in B.M., we decided not to go on to the Caves, but focus on the area Blackheath-Leura.

We love to hike/walk, but not mountain climb, so the Echo Point Stairs sounded like a nice option rather than down and back on the rail. I hadn't thought of making the rim walk to complete a loop, just assuming we'd come up at Scenic World and catch a bus there. Will look at it further.

I think we may do the Trolley Tours (will phone and make sure all my info is correct) just to give the option to reach the view of Govett's Leap. We will skip the strenuous down and back this trip.

On our segment in Canberra, we have decided to rent a car for 2 days instead of hiring local tour guide. We've got Namadgi Yankee Hat Walking Track, Honeysuckle Tracking Station remains, Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve, Canberra Space Centre, and Lanyon Homestead on our list there.
Dec 30th, 2008, 02:20 PM

Lanyon is in a beautiful bit of the county, there's a nice cafe with a fabulous view.

For the Blue Mountains, the Echo Point walk is usually more populated particularly on weekends. It will be quieter taking a walk round Blackheath. There's a less strenuous walk than the Blue Gum Forest (one of my favourites) that goes in a loop going to Fortress Rock, you can add a further loop or keep the walk to about 2 hours. The walk starts at Bundarra st, Blackheath.
Dec 31st, 2008, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the guidance. I have been looking at a great website--wildwalks.com--and reading the descriptions of all the walks in the area. Way too much for just one day, of course. But in such a confined time frame I like that there are short choices that we can extend or else catch a bus and go on to another place depending on crowds, temps, and our feet!