Search

Best wineries near Sydney?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2007, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best wineries near Sydney?

We will be honeymooning in Australia this October. Our destinations will be Melbourne (three nights), Port Douglas (four nights) and Sydney (four nights). We are interested in touring a winery or two while in Sydney. Which Hunter Valley wineries do you recommend? Which means of transportation do you recommend--car, train or bus? Do you recommend taking a group tour, and if so, which operators do you recommend?

Thanks.
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 04:22 PM

As you are going to Melbourne you could also consider going to the Yarra Valley wineries.

Old Jul 1st, 2007, 07:11 PM

You do not have to travel as far as the Hunter Valley to go to a beautiful winery. On the outskirts of Sydney is the beautiful Hawksbury Valley.
Tizzana Winery at Ebenezer is delightful and has 5 star accomodation should you care to stay overnight.
Try www.winery.tizzana.com.au
A map is included on the website.
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 08:29 PM

You'll need to consider car ot bus - I don't think the trains run sufficiently close to the Hunter Valley.

Probably the best is a day-long small group bus tour. No wories driving, and they know where to go. I don't have any particular suggestions, though.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 09:19 PM

The best wineries near Sydney are just outside Melbourne in the Yarra Valley!
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 02:08 AM

There are also some great cooler climate wineries near Canberra
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 03:57 AM

Hello Phillyex

If you're staying in Sydney, you need to either have a car, or take a bus tour day trip to the Hunter Valley. It's a couple of hours drive from the city, with no easy public transport between Sydney and HV.

There are a multitude of wineries to visit - go to www.huntertourism.com to have a look at what's available.
If you go as part of a tour group, they'll take you to their preferred wineries.

If you drive yourselves, then I suggest you call into the Tourist Information Centre when you reach Cessnock. Then you can discuss your preferences with the locals, and they can advise you. My preferences are Audrey Wilkinson Wines (also have fantastic views of the area), Draytons, and Il Cacciatore at Hermitage Lodge for lunch (fantastic setting, yummy food).

Happy travels, Di
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 07:59 PM

Might I suggest something different from visiting the Hunter Valley, why not rent a car, drive out to Mudgee & taste their lovely wines. Not as touristy as the Hunter Valley, and some little interesting restaurants both in Mudgee town & wineries, eg. Blue Wren Winery & Restaurant.
Also some great historical villages nearby to discover.
Just an alternative idea.
Old Jul 7th, 2007, 06:23 PM

My friend just raves about the Wendt on Tours Hunter Valley tour she took from Sydney. Said it was easily booked, very small group and a great choice of wineries. www.wendtontours.com.au
I like the idea of stopping at a chocolate factory on the way back