Best way to spend one week in Queensland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 04:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to have your advice and opinions about touring the Great Barrier Reef region. We're debating whether to settle in one place for a week, or to slowly move from south to north, staying 1 or 2 days in 2 or 3 places along the way. "He" wants to snorkel, "She" isn't interested in water sports but wants to see the islands, do the glass bottom boat thing, but also to find other tours and place of interest.

If you can recommend a nice place to stay where we can rent a 2 bedroom apartment at a fair price, please do. Are resorts worth the exta cost? Do you know a very special place we might love? Please give us the benefit of your knowledge and experience as we create this once-in-a-lifetime experience. Thank you very much.
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 06:01 AM

When are you planning to go?
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 11:24 AM

I am staying at the Sea Breeze apartment at Holloways beach. Appx 10 min from downtown Cairns. It has worked well for us (3) as we have driven as far as Cooktown from here, have made a tablelands loop, and have driven the other way to about an hour south of Mission Bay.Each driving venture appx taking up a day.For me it was central to all these and I did not have to move my suitcase each day.
The apartment is 3 bedroom 2 bath, fully fitted, across the street from the beach, food store nearby and was under $200.Also there is a couple of places on beach to eat nothing fancy but ok.
Allison Muir, Sea Breeze Apartment
Hollyways Beach, Australia
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 11:26 AM

I guess that should be past Mission Bay I am not sure if that would be true north or north east.
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 06:02 PM

Anywhere in that area would be good but perhaps Palm Cove may be nicer as it has lots of eating places and everything else to make a holiday enjoyable. Also I am pretty sure that tours pick up from Palm Cove but not necessarily Holloways but perhaps some Cairns people can let you know for sure about that.
I think I would be inclined to stay in one place or perhaps go to two places i.e. Atherland Tablelands for a while as well.