Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Best Places to Eat on Tahiti, Moorea, and Bora Bora?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2002, 07:32 PM
Melissa

Hi everyone!<BR><BR>I have just booked my honeymoon to Tahiti -14 days total - 2 nights Tahiti at Le Meridien, 6 nights Moorea at the Sheraton Lagoon Resort, 5 nights Bora Bora at Le Meridien.<BR><BR>I am completely clueless as to where to eat -we would like a good mix of great local food and then some restaurants that are considered the "top" places that French Polynesia has to offer.<BR><BR>Also would like a couple of places that are very scenic so that we have more great photos to take home!! <BR><BR>Lastly, is it difficult to get around to the different restaurants (ie, long, expensive taxi rides)? I just want to be clear on what to expect.<BR><BR>Thanks so much for all of the help! It will be so appreciated!! <BR><BR>

Old May 14th, 2002, 04:33 PM
Melissa

Just topping to help for a reply

Old May 15th, 2002, 02:58 AM
Tiffany

If you can wait two weeks, I will be back and can report then. We leave in 2 days! Go to www.tahiti-explorer.com - they have very active message boards. Read through all of the history.

Old May 15th, 2002, 05:02 AM
LordBalfor

The "TopDive" restaurant is usually considered about the best place to eat on Bora Bora. "Bloody Mary's" is the most famous but I've seen somewhat mixed reviews about it. Both are expensive (as you would expect). <BR><BR>On Tahiti, head to the waterfront at sunset to check out the "Roulettes" (rolling food trucks) - rather like upscale "rouch coach" vehicles. They are the best meal bargain on Tahiti (plus it's kind of fun experience).<BR><BR>A guided tour of either Bora Bora and/or Moorea will take you all the great photo spots - plus you'll learn a lot in the process. The 4x4 safari's are great for this, taking you to places you wouldn't get to otherwise. If you haven't done it yet, take a look at my photo collection on Webshots.com at:<BR><BR>http://community.webshots.com/user/lordbalfor<BR><BR>Ken

Old May 15th, 2002, 10:05 AM
Melissa

Thank you so much guys!! Lord Balfour - those are awesome pictures!!<BR><BR>Tiffany - have a WONDERFUL trip!!! I will certainly be anxiously awaiting your trip report when you return. Which islands are you going to and where are you staying?<BR><BR>If this is your honeymoon - Congratulations!! <BR><BR>Kind Regards - Melissa

Old May 16th, 2002, 02:49 AM
Tiffany

Melissa - We are going to Moorea Sheraton, Sofitel Motu Bora Bora, Kia Ora Village and Sauvage Rangiora and 1-1/2 nights Tahiti Beachcomber. I'll post our website with pictures when we get home.

Old May 16th, 2002, 03:40 PM
Melissa

Hi Tiffany -<BR><BR>That sounds so great!! Have a wonderful time, and we'll look forward to your pictures when you return! <BR><BR>Thanks again - Melissa

Old May 16th, 2002, 07:34 PM
pat

Only stayed on Moorea, and never had a bad meal. Your hotel will call the restaurant, and often they will send a car to pick you up and take you back. Be sure and do the fruit picnic/barbeque around the island on a catamarran. Liked the Acajou restaurant on Tahiti. You will love FP.

Old May 17th, 2002, 07:22 PM
Mark

What a GREAT set of pictures Ken/Balfor!!<BR><BR>Thanks so much for posting them.<BR><BR>Nothing better than being able to see real, candid, non-retouched photos when trying to make decisions about where to visit!!

Old May 22nd, 2002, 08:50 AM
Theresa

Top Dive and Bloody Mary's are great choices. There are not tons of restaurants but I felt the concierge was very helpful in booking them and getting you there.<BR>We also stayed at Sheraton Lagoon for our honeymoon. I loved the over the water villas. Be sure to visit Tiki Village on Moorea for a true Polynesian buffet and great fire and dance show. It was one of my favorite things.<BR>Also, I felt the Sheraton was only good for lunch or breakfast and didn't care for their dinners. We stayed at Pearl Beach Resort on Bora Bora and I felt their food was good.<BR>Theresa

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 03:34 PM
Tiffany

OK. Here is what I thought. I enjoyed room service at the Sheraton for lunch. I loved eating out on the deck. Their poisson crue was fantastic. We ordered Allo Pizza the first night. They deliver to your room. My husband didn't like it. Very thin crust pizza, but it was different. Yes, the restaurants will pick you up, but they all charge. It is worth it to go out, just plan on having cash. Te Honu Iti (The Little Turtle) was fabulous - 1000CFP. We also enjoyed Le Bateau. (Linareva - The floating restaurant) It is a long trip from the Sheraton so try to find other people to split the 4000 CFP fare. Make sure that you let the restaurant know when you call them, that you are splitting the fare with other couples.<BR><BR>On Bora Bora, everyone's recommendations are right on. Bloody Mary's food wasn't anything special, but it is worth the trip to see the place (make sure that you go into the bathroom). Top Dive is terrific. They add 10% of your total bill for transfer, but it is worth it.<BR><BR>All of these restaurants require reservations and they will tell you the time of pickup. <BR><BR>I'll post our website as soon as I can.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 03:35 PM
Tiffany

I forgot to mention that we loved the roulettes on Tahiti. It was so much fun to eat where all of the locals do. Le Lotus at the Beachcomber was very overpriced. I heard that Coco's is very nice, but we didn't make it there.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 04:57 PM
Melissa

Hi Tiffany!<BR><BR>Welcome back!<BR><BR>I hope you had a great time! What were your favorite parts of the trip?<BR><BR>Thank you so much for all the advice and recommendations. I have printed it out to take with us!<BR><BR>I am also curious as to how the flight was - we are coming from NYC. Where are you guys from?<BR><BR>Whenever you get a chance, please post the link to your website...<BR><BR>Thanks again!!

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 03:03 AM
Tiffany

Melissa - I'm working on the site like crazy. I finally got through all of our pictures. Now we just have to make the pages.<BR><BR>Highlights:<BR><BR>The service and grounds at the Sofitel Motu.<BR><BR>Everything about the Sauvage, especially Michael the host, meeting wonderful new friends, seeing the Southern cross set against the Milky Way, viewing the most incredible sunset from a sandbar in the lagoon, watching our shark feeding video in the dark and being scared after the fact.<BR><BR>Eating at Le KaiKai on Rangiroa with our new friends we met from the Sauvage and laughing for so long, my sides hurt the next day.<BR><BR>Going to the market on Tahiti and arguing with a vendor about keeping the extra 50CFP I tried to give her after she gave me 2 free bars of soap. She won and I got the change.<BR><BR>Eating at the roulettes our last night. <BR><BR>The flight was unbelievably easy. We came from Michigan. The worst part was that we had a 6 hour layover at LAX going there. We hung out at the airport and were exhausted by the time our flight left. My husband I both took 2 Dramamines to put us to sleep. The only way to make it through the flight is to sleep. We took some over the counter sleeping pill on the way home and that worked great. It felt like a 2-1/2 hour flight. Also, bring ear plugs. They were the best thing that we brought and allowed you to sleep much easier. And those inflatable neck pillows are great too. We used the pillows that the airline gives you to sit on. On the way home, we had an 8 hour layover and we got a hotel room.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 06:53 AM
mahoot

Just back from our honeymoon. I'm with everyone on Bora Bora ..Top Dive and Bloody Mary's good places. I would also suggest going to the bathroom in Bloody Marys! If ya like a little downtown America when you go out - I suggest Alfredo's in Moorea on Thurs nights (also tue or Sunday - may want to call and check). They had a two person kareoke (sp?) thing going on which was a ton of fun! Have fun!

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 08:37 AM
Melissa

Hi Tiffany and mahoot!<BR><BR>Everything sounds wonderful - thanks for the tips for the flight! We will definitely be folowing your advice. <BR><BR>I feel much more at ease about the flight.<BR><BR>Looking forward to your website!

Old Sep 13th, 2005, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bloody Mary's very much over-rated. The food and service at the Hotel Bora Bora are wonderful. If you like fish, try the Wahoo. As for pictures, everything is gorgeous - have a great time.