Beach towels

Dec 13th, 2004, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Beach towels

I know this is a stupid question, but here goes anyway. Do the hotels in Sydney and Cairns let you borrow a pool towel to go to the beach or the GBR? We want to go to Manly Beach in Sydney and plan to go on two snorkel/dive trips in Cairns. We don't want to take up lots of room in our suitcase and we would have the problem of getting the towels dry to repack. Does anyone have first hand knowledge on this?
Dec 13th, 2004, 11:10 AM

When I went to Port Douglas, my hotel did not provide a towel that I could take to the beach.

I don't know whether or not this applies to other hotels.
Dec 13th, 2004, 11:21 AM

All hotels supply towels for their swimming pools but not to take outside of the grounds.
Buy one from one of the cheap shops for about $5US and throw it away when you leave.
Dec 13th, 2004, 01:56 PM

Hi - snorkel/dive trips in Cairns area do not provide beach towels on board. B&B's supply them, some ask for a deposit. AS Liz says, hotels don't like you to take them off the premises, but they're available to buy everywhere you look in Manly, Cairns and Port Douglas (cheaper in Manly and Cairns).
Dec 13th, 2004, 02:49 PM

Hi there

Instead of biffing the towels into the trash at the end of your trip. How about putting them in the clothing donation bins that are dotted all over the place. That way at least someone else will get the benefit of them after yourself.

Just an idea

Steve
Dec 15th, 2004, 05:53 AM

You could each take a lightweight, super-absorbent travel towel. I travel with one as a back up. They take up very little room, and they dry very fast. Here's one, just for illustration purposes, on Rick Steves' website:

http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/ca...tId=126&id=158

Otherwise, you could take an old towel from home, and place it in a clothes donation bin when you've finished with it, as Steve (Kiwi_acct) suggested. That will create room in your suitcase for souvenirs you may want to purchase during your trip.

Finally, if all else fails, you could buy one, as Liz and Pat have indicated.