Bangkok--Best hotel on the river?

Old May 18th, 1998, 11:59 AM
D. Spiegel

Bangkok--Best hotel on the river?

Have heard that for the best location and ease of getting around, we should stay at a hotel on the river. Other than the Oriental, which is probably too expensive, what hotel would you recommend? Thanks.

Old May 18th, 1998, 11:19 PM
joelle

We tried the Shangri-la which was superb. There are two wings, the most recent one is a bit too close to a big motorway bridge but the sound insulation is ok. Another good one would be the Sheraton Royal Orchid (located not far from the Oriental).

Old May 20th, 1998, 06:45 AM
Bill Merrick

The Sheraton Royal Orchid is the best. The reason it's easy to get around from there is that there is a major water taxi/bus stop right next door. It os also slightly away from Sukhumvit Rd - where the worst of the traffic problems arise. It's also walking distance to the naughty bits....

Old May 20th, 1998, 06:46 AM
Bill Merrick

The Sheraton Royal Orchid is the best. The reason it's easy to get around from there is that there is a major water taxi/bus stop right next door. It os also slightly away from Sukhumvit Rd - where the worst of the traffic problems arise. It's also walking distance to the naughty bits....

Old May 22nd, 1998, 09:02 PM
Jo Harriet Haley

I stayed at the Oriental and loved it. It's not as expensive as you might think. Almost anyone can get a discount if you ask ahead. And/or an upgrade. Plus now the prices are down. I would expect a double room with fabulous breakfast for US$200/night and worth every penny. The views are superb, the service is unbelievable (a concierge on every floor), orchids throughout the room, fresh unusual fruit daily, the most outstanding breakfast buffet I have ever seen. This place is worth a little extra. The olny thing we paid too much for was the river taxis. The Oriental does not have a public stop, so we were hiring private longtailed boats, which is really not necessary. But we could have easily walked to the next hotel and used the public stop there. I would not give up on the Oriental without checking into the prices.

Old May 25th, 1998, 08:00 AM
Vena Chua

You can try the Marriot Royal Garden which is quite near to the Oriental Hotel. It is not as expensive as the Oriental or Shangri-la or Sheraton. There is complimentary water taxi service to the Oriental. Good value for money!

Old Jan 19th, 1999, 03:17 AM
Mat

I stayed at the Shangri-La in December. A very good hotel. I stayed four nights in the Main Wing and four nights in the more luxurious Krungthep Wing. The restaurants are good and service too. <BR> <BR>The new Peninsula on the other bank of the river looked good as well. <BR> <BR>But I prefer the Grand Hyatt Erawan or the Regent which are both situated in walking distance to the World Trade Center and the Royal Race Track. Both are superb. Especially good service at the Grand Hyatt Erawan. <BR> <BR>