Search

Religious sites in India

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 1998, 10:42 AM
Promilla

Religious sites in India

Does anyone have information about going to visit Vaishnu Devi in Kashmir? Is it safe? <BR>Also would like to know about visiting Rameshwaram

Old Jul 19th, 1998, 07:26 AM
yashoda

Stay out of Vaishnudevi.. it is not safe at all. <BR> <BR>Rameshwaram is accessable from Madras.. and is safe to go to. <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 12th, 1999, 10:48 AM
Prabhat Sood

Vaishno Devi shrine is one of the safest and one of the finest in India. You can fly to Jammu-tawi by indian Airlines. Sahara or several other domestic airlines. From the arport one can go to Katra by taxi or bus ( approx. 2 hour journey) and then the trekking start from katra. one register first at katra, which provides you with the Yatra slip, as only limited numbers of plgrims are allowed. This slip will also fix the exact time of Darshan of Maan Vaishno devi. Temple remains open 24 hours a day and 365 days a year. The whole walk is approx. 12 Kms. and takes about 3 hours. If you choos to use the steps one can do it in 2 hours and use of ponies one can do it in approx. 1 hour non-stop. At Ardh-kawari (half way) one can break the journey to see the temple. Vaishno devi shrine is one of the finest temple in India and you will never be hasseled by any beggars during your 3 hours trekking. One can rent sticks and walking shoes to make the journey comfortable. You can walk at any time day or night without any fear. No one will ever try to ask you for money. No priest will ever ask for money at any place. It is forbidden, the whole trekking is one of the cleanest. Construction work goes on to expand the pathway. The whole path has shops at every bend to provide you with the food and drinks at any time of the day. Yashodha's comments about vaishno Devi mandir are unfortunate. There are also conducted tours available from Delhi/Haridwar/Rishikesh and many prominent places. One can also go by superfast trains from Delhi to Jammu-Tawi. This will cut down the journey to Katra town by approx. one hour. The place is just pure divine. I try to visit Vaishno Devi Mandir at least once a year and I live in Toronto, Canada. <BR> <BR>To go to Rameshwaram the easiest rote is to fly to Madurai. From Madurai daily conducted buse are available and they will take you to Rameshwaram tour you around the coty, visit all the temples, provide you with the lunch or go of your own for approx. Rs.300 (US$8) per person. Deluxe mini buses and several other transportation are avialble. it is only 3 hours drive one way from madurai to Rameshwaram. With the completion of Motor bridge (earlier only rail bridge existed) the approch to rameshwaram has become very easy. I have been to Rameshwaram several times. Lors Shiva's Rameshwaram temple is also one of the nicest shrine, except you are hasseled by Pandas (temple priests). You take a bath in Agnee Teerath (sea) and then walk with your wet clothes to the temple ( approx. 3 minutes) and then take bath in 22 kunds within the temple. After the bath in all kunds do the abhishek to Shivling. It is the experience by its own. If at any time you need any information about any destinations in India, please E-mail to me. I shall try to answer asap. i have in Canada for 20 years but I have visite India approx. 26 times all not to see the relatives but tour every single corner of this beautiful country. Good Luck.

Old Jan 12th, 1999, 10:50 AM
Prabhat Sood

Sorry, I gave you the wrong Email address. You could use any of these: <BR>[email protected] <BR>[email protected]

Old Jan 12th, 1999, 03:12 PM
Chris

<BR>Promilla, no matter what anyone tells you I would avoid going to Kashmir. This is a very unstable area and with all the other religious sites in India it would be a shame to take an un-needed risk.

Old Jan 20th, 1999, 03:04 AM
viru

I would understand if tourists stay out of Kashmir proper - not Jammu. Vaishnava Devi temple is in Jammu - In fact I have been there in the middle of the Punjab terrorist menace - as for that I have been to the Golden temple also - during the terrorist menace. The army is out everywhere - and you will feel safe.