Search

Baby rules

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2004, 07:56 PM
wil
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Baby rules

Hi. Am thinking of bringing my 16 mths old baby for a trip to Perth or Melbourne, maybe for a farm visit. Any recommendations? Is Australia baby friendly? Understand that I may not be able to bring milk powder in, how true is that? Would welcome any suggestions.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 11:18 PM

Hi wil - any foodstuff or plants brought into Australia must be declared when entering the country, the customs officer then makes the decision of whether it is allowable. This is strictly enforced and designed to protect our own rural industries. But you needn't worry, you can buy all manner of milk products (powdered and fresh), including baby formulas anywhere in the country.
Old May 26th, 2004, 12:03 AM

If you are looking at Perth, have a look at www.kirupkabins.com.au I stayed there a few years ago and its a perfect place to take a child for a farm visit. I live here in Perth, so if you have any other questions, drop me a line.

John
Old May 26th, 2004, 05:04 AM

HI, wil!
As anyone who has been through customs in Australia will tell you, it's a very hit-and-miss affair, with seemingly little consistency. Some "everyday" things are absolutely prohibited (and for good reason), like fresh fruit and vegetables, untreated wood products, and live animals (pets are quarantined for three months at your expense). I can't imagine that this would extend to powdered baby formula, which, surely, would be the most bacteria-free substance on the face of the earth, but what would I know? Obviously, you need to bring SOME with you, just for those few important hours between landing and finding the nearest chemist (that's what pharmacies are called here) or supermarket. So the best thing to do would be to immediately declare what you have brought, and throw yourself on the mercy of the inspector. If he takes it from you, ask him for directions to the nearest supermarket to the airport, as "the baby must be fed right away". Betcha that you pass through unencumbered.
When you arrive, you will always see two lines at customs: the green "express" line for people who have nothing to declare, and the red, "slow" line for people who have to 'fess up. The point is, the red line (much less-populated) is always faster than the so-called "express" lane, as the inspectors stand by that one ready to pounce at anyone who can't look them straight in the eye. So we always find something to declare, even if we know damn well it isn't a prohibited item, and head straight for the "declare" line. We haven't had a single thing taken from us in forty years. Your powdered baby formula will give you the perfect opportunity to try out this theory. Good luck!
Old May 26th, 2004, 11:12 AM

i had to check out the customs stuff yesterday... let me see if I can find the links for you--

Can I bring baby food/infant formula with me on the plane to Australia?

Personal quantities of commercially prepared canned (or jars) of baby food containing less than 10% egg product may be imported from any country subject to inspection on arrival. The products must be in metal cans, retort pouches or in hermetically sealed, glass jars.
Consignments of milk based foods (including infant formula & cereal) for infants may be imported from any country provided the products are commercially prepared and packaged, and are for the consumption of the accompanied infant. No more than 3 months supply of infant formula can be brought into Australia. Please ensure that the tins/packages remain sealed

http://www.affa.gov.au/content/outpu...EF6E521F00A0#1

Old May 27th, 2004, 08:33 AM

Australia is baby friendly. Unless you play around hanging rock, a dingo might eat it.

In relation to another posters comments of giving them a BS excuse that the kid has to be fed right now, that's a lie and it's totally disrespectful to yourself.

People in law enforcement hear more lies every day than you can generate in a thinktank of a hundred people in a year. We've heard every excuse in the book, and most of the time, if you do get away with it, it's mainly due to the fact that the lie's that frustratingly pathetic that you can't be bothered acting.

There is however a good chance that they will recommend you take a seat and feed the baby before leaving, as babies don't need to be fed every ten minutes you can safely exit the airport and even go back to your hotel and settle in before hitting the local shops.
Old May 27th, 2004, 08:12 PM

We flew back into Melb. from the US this past July and had powdered baby formula w/ us. We went in the 'Something to declare' line and when we produced the formula (which was still in its original container)the agent told us that was fine, and in future we could go to the 'Nothing to declare' line if that was all we were declaring. To be on the safe side, I would declare it - but you shouldn't have a problem. However, if it is just powdered milk that is another matter. Dairy is usually a no-no. Also keep in mind that if you visit a farm that opens you up to another level of potential customs checks when you re-enter the US.