Search

Ivory soap?

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2004, 09:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ivory soap?

Is Ivory soap available in Sydney? My partner is spending the next three months there for work and is planning on loading up on the stuff here if he can't get it down under.
Old May 25th, 2004, 01:05 AM

patisofi... how can I say this politely? I can't. Usually I do my very best to be polite and helpful on this forum, God knows, but are you SERIOUS? For that matter, is your partner serious? If so, think about partners. Has he been a guest on "Queer Eye"? No, I haven't the foggiest idea whether Ivory soap, whatever it may be, is sold here. It probably is, but why would any balanced person care? Soap is soap, is soap. Read up on the ingredients. If this was posted on the impolite Europe forum someone would have branded you a troll by now, so think yourself lucky.

Old May 25th, 2004, 02:05 AM

patisofi - I have not seen Ivory soap in Sydney.
Old May 25th, 2004, 03:11 AM

OP - please enlighten me. What is Ivory soap? Is that a brand name or something?Neil is right Many other places this would have been troll labelled immediately. And even if that is not the case here, I am tempted to ask - is that the only Q your partner has? Like they are willing to go off into the great unknown as long as they have the right kind of soap.
Old May 25th, 2004, 03:30 AM
Original Poster

yeah, i know it may seem strange, but everybody has their quirks. He just wants his american stuff. Ivory is the brand name of the soap he likes and buys by the case. I appreciate ya'll giving me a break and answering my question.
Old May 25th, 2004, 03:41 AM
sandi

patisofi - is your partner still atached to his mother?

I often find that some grown men are limited when it comes to trying something new - if their mother didn't serve it to them or use it for whatever, they won't try anything new. Has he by chance tried Neurtrogena? - about as pure as Ivory's 99.9% pure soap, but I don't believe it "floats."

But if he wants to bring his own, know that it will add to his luggage weight allowance. Hope he doesn't use more than 4 or 5 bars in that period of time.

Old May 25th, 2004, 03:50 AM

We have Ivory Soap in Canada so maybe patisofi's partner should come here. A little background might help.

My first baby was born 48 years ago when Ivory Soap was produced by one of the big soapmakers. If you used anything else on babies or their diapers, you were branded an unfit mother.

There is a difference between soap and detergents -- a word not heard much these days. My unscientific explanation is that soap left scum and detergents did not. This revoluntionized the washing of clothes, humans, and bathtubs. I'm not sure what ingredients made the difference but it was a welcome change (maybe soap had animal fat?).

Obviously, Ivory Soap is a soap and not a detergent. There are people who continued to use Ivory Soap in bar or flake form because it is good for tender skin. I stopped using it when I discovered I was a good mum to my six regardless of the soap -- I mean detergent -- I used. It is likely most people under 30 have never heard of Ivory Soap here in Canada or the USA.

Sorry for this lengthy explanation but I felt that patisofi's partner should not be intimidated in arriving in Australia with Ivory Soap. Let Customs handle it.

Old May 25th, 2004, 03:54 AM

"Is Ivory soap available in Sydney"?? I don't know and I certainly hope not. Its very name bears unfortunate racial and environmental connotations (elephant tusk real ivory is a banned import here and I'm nearly certain it is in your country). This nearly beats a recent question on this forum when someone asked if baby food was available in Australia!! There's any number of soaps available - some of these with a higher moisturizing content are the above-mentioned Neutrogena; Dove and Nivea will also do the job and are available in any supermarket in the country.
Old May 25th, 2004, 04:27 AM

My guess is that what most of us use today is a detergent and not a soap.
Old May 25th, 2004, 05:40 AM

Patisofi, perhaps your partner could ask Procter & Gamble, who make Ivory soap. Their Australian head office is:

STREET ADDRESS

Procter & Gamble Australia Pty Ltd
320 Victoria Road
RYDALMERE NSW 2116
Australia
Phone: 61 (0)2 9684 8444
Fax : 61 (0)2 9684 8570

MAILING ADDRESS

Rydalmere Postal Address
Procter & Gamble Australia Pty Ltd
PO Box 279
RYDALMERE NSW BC 1701
Australia

That information came from

http://www.pg.com/about_pg/worldwide_operations.jhtml

From the same website I learned that Ivory soap got its name in 1878. That was when, after much experimentation, James Gamble and his associates developed a white soap.

I don't know what colour soap had been before that. Maybe green like the bars of Sunlight soap that I remember from my childhood?

In any event, Gamble and his associates initially called the product P&G White Soap. Harley Procter was dissatisfied with this name, however, and felt that they should come up with something more catchy.

Procter received his inspiration in church when the minister read from Psalms 45:8, "All thy garments smell of myrrh and aloes and cassia, out of the ivory palaces whereby they have made thee glad."

And the rest, as they say, is history.

Anyway, back to your partner's attachment to a certain brand of soap. Australians are unlikely to have the opportunity to observe what kind of soap he uses and, even if they could, I doubt they'd care one way or the other. Warn him, however, that their nonchalance about soap brands does not extend to beer. He will win a place in their hearts so much more quickly if he expresses appreciation of Australian beer.
Old May 25th, 2004, 06:31 AM

Soap is soap is soap? Not so! I will use whatever soap is provided, but there is a definite differednce in them.

The fragrance is important- just as with perfume, many smell wonderful, others are obnoxious (Irish Spring comes to mind).

Some contain deodorants or mosturizers. If you have sensitive skin, many soaps can cause allergies or irritation in intimate places.

If I was heading somewhere for 3 months and had such sensitive skin, I might be tempted to take my soap, and shampoo, too!
Old May 25th, 2004, 07:52 AM

A correction and apology for misleading information. Ivory "soap" is very much on the market in bar and liquid form. I'm not sure if the "flake" variety for washing clothes is still around and if it is, it doesn't enjoy the high profile it once did.

Pat Woolford is right when she says about Ivory soap: "Its very name bears unfortunate racial and environmental connotations."

My husband buys all the cleaning and bathroom products and I have found to my embarrassment that I have been using Ivory Soap in bars for the past years. Our Cascade dishwashing product is called a detergent. Anyone remember DREFT, the revolutionizing detergent?
Old May 25th, 2004, 02:04 PM

patisofi, now you've been jumped on from a great height .... tell your partner not to worry too much about the beer thing. (Judy, but for my money Samuel Adams Boston Lager beats all but a few Australian beers. And there's nothing wrong with Moosehead either!)
Old May 25th, 2004, 02:19 PM

Ivory Soap is available in Woolworth's supermarkets - so I presume also in most of the other chains in Sydney.
I think the Soap Flakes referred to above were actually Lux - but they are probably the same thing anyway!
Old May 25th, 2004, 04:22 PM

Ivory was the first soap I used as a child and it is still my favorite.. I wouldn't mind living without it for my trip to Australia though because it makes it even more different if I am using a local soap!
Old May 25th, 2004, 04:51 PM

Hi Prue

Ivory soap did come in flakes for washing (diapers of course). You remember Lux. Do you remember the Lux Radio Theatre I think it was; every week a broadcast of a movie (before TV). Do you remember DREFT detergent?

Sorry patisofi for running away with your topic. It brought back memories.
Old May 25th, 2004, 05:05 PM

Michi - can't say I've heard of DREFT - years ago there was a product launched called "One Go"which was supposed to take the effort out of cleaning vinyl and tiled floors. It was heavily promoted on TV, closely followed by a skit - houseproud, demure housewife opens front door to shonky looking salesman - "Madam, would you like one go on your kitchen floor?"

lcuy - Neil, being an Aussie bloke has a far better knowledge of beer brands than soap varieties. Us girls do know the differences - my husband would wash himself with Solvol if I left it in the shower, but he uses my expensive salon shampoo, probably just because it's there. Will have to hide it and leave him the Pantene.

Old May 25th, 2004, 07:15 PM

Well thats not as bad as my husband who used nearly a whole bottle of my daughter's pricey salon shampoo...on our dog. You should have hard the howls and screams, and I don't mean the dog's!
Old May 25th, 2004, 07:52 PM

I may lack finesse, Pat, but even I draw the line at Solvol - unless it's the only thing lying around, of course. (For American readers, Solvol is a grey, abrasive substance, good for car mechanics' hands, a bit like washing with frothy sandpaper. It is definitely not a substitute for Ivory. Even I know that.)

My wife doesn't allow me to buy things like soap. I don't know why - I always buy the cheapest that's going.

Maybe it's about time we all got back to the good old ways. My grandmother used to make her own soap, in kerosene tins. I think it involved animal fat, and maybe even caustic soda. I suspect it was pretty grim stuff.
Old May 25th, 2004, 08:12 PM

Mates, The best soap we experienced in Australia was at Lilybank B&B. I don't think Pat and Mike made it in the kitchen after breakfast, but someone lovingly did.

Apropos Solvol: It sounds from your description Neil, that the American equivalent is Twenty Mule Team Borax, promoted by the B movie actor Ronald Reagan who later served so unfortunately as American President.

Maybe that Republic referendum isn't a goer if you end up w/ president's like we have had.

AndrewDavid

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -