Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Australian Rules Football going in October?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband is very interested in attending an Australian Rules football game while we are in Oz in October. Are there any games going on at that time? What about rugby? We will be in Sydney at the end of the month and then FNQ the rest of the time, although the itinerary is quite flexible at this time. Thanks!
Sally in Seattle
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 08:43 PM

I am not sure about Aussie Rules but there won't be any Rugby in October as the season this year is all geared around the World Cup to be held in September and most competitions will start and finish earlier than normal.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 11:43 PM

Aussie Rules is the major winter sport in the Southern States i.e. Victoria, South Australia, Western Australia and Tasmania. However there is one team from Brisbane (Brisbane Bears) and one team from Sydney (Sydney Swans) in the Australia Football League (The AFL) that make up the 16 team competition.
The season starts with a pre season competition at the end of Feb. followed by the season proper. The finals are held in September with the Grand Final on the last Saturday in September. The Grand Final is Australia's Superbowl (only better!) and is always held in Melbourne at the MCG that has a 100,000 capacity. October is a sort of in between month for major Australian sporting competitions.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Too bad, he misses it again. We'll just have to plan ANOTHER trip to Australia after this one! Thanks for the infomation. Prue and DownUnder.
Sally in Seattle
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 10:32 AM

Ooops! it is the Brisbane Lions. They combined with Fitzroy a few years ago and changed from Bears to Lions. It is a pity you will have to miss a spectacular form of football as I know this year will be the year of the Richmond Tigers (my team). Still enjoy your trip downunder.