Australia with Kids?

Old Jan 13th, 2001, 11:13 AM
Mike

Australia with Kids?

We're planning a family trip to Australia for 2 weeks end of December, beginning of January. Our kids are 8 and 11. Too young? Where should we go? What should we see? Thinking about Sydney & Kangaroo Island but we'd really appreciate any good advice. Thanks!

Old Jan 13th, 2001, 02:45 PM
Paul S

Hi Mike, <BR> <BR>Your children are definitely not to young to appreciate Australia in fact they will probably leave with a greater understanding of the animals only found here such as Kangaroos, Emu's, and Koalas. <BR> <BR>A word of warning, the time frame you are looking at coming is also peak holiday season for Australians so most tourist destinations along the East coast are booked out at that time of year. I would suggest you book your accommodations well in advance and I am talking at least 6 months and if possible do it now. <BR> <BR>Sydney is a great starting point for your holiday and you can do a lot of day trips from Sydney to the surrounding areas like the Blue Mountains and Jenolan Caves, Port Stephens and the Hunter Valley. <BR> <BR>Kangaroo Island is a very nice place but not much for the Kids to do, this is more of an eco-tourist destination for the adults. Being as it is off the coast of South Australia I think you would be better off staying on the East Coast. <BR> <BR>Personally I think you should split your time in half and spend a week in Sydney doing some day trips and maybe a week on the Gold Coast in Queensland or one of the Queensland Island resorts like South Molle Island. You could also spend a week at Port Stephens instead of Queensland as Port Stephens is only 2 hours North of Sydney you wont waste much time in travelling there and it is perfect for children, plenty of activities there to keep the whole family amused. Port Stephens is an extremely popular tourist destination for Aussies so this place in particular needs to be booked as soon as possible to insure that you can get accommodation in the area. <BR> <BR>If you need specifics on any accommodation or places to visit then please feel free to e-mail me direct. <BR> <BR>Here are some websites to check out: <BR> <BR>www.portstephens.org.au <BR> <BR>www.portstephens-multimedia.com.au <BR> <BR>www.southmolleisland.com.au/default.htm <BR> <BR>http://www.queensland-holidays.com.a...links/whit.htm <BR> <BR>http://www.southporttouristpark.com....mmodation.html <BR> <BR>http://www.webaccom.com.au/gcad/fram...tmentsiss.html <BR> <BR>Hope this helps

Old Jan 17th, 2001, 06:10 AM
WMR

We did two weeks last Christmas/New Year's with a 6 1/2 year old - one week Sydney and one week Adelaide/Barossa Valley - he loved it, and so did we. Sydney is a great city for kids; an 8 or 11 year old will probably appreciate it even more. In Sydney, don't miss: Aquarium; Powerhouse Museum; take the ferry out to Watson's Bay and walk the headland; bus or ferry out to other beaches and take the walks along the shoreline; AMP Tower; ferry across to the zoo in North Sydney. YOu almost can't go wrong.

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 12:32 PM
Katie

I agree with other postees, Oz is the BEST with the kids. We visited two years ago when our daughter was 6 and she loved it so much, she wants to move there. we are going back this March, but to Perth this time. First trip we stayed in Manly, and took the ferry in every day to Sydney. Must do's are: Powerhouse museum, Syd, Oceanworld, Manly, take the train to Wonderworld, have lunch at centerpoint (highest lookout) and the best part of our trip was the two weeks in a motorhome from Sydney to Melbourne. The caravan parks are absolutely pristine, and we camped with the most wonderful Australians, never saw another yank the whole time there. kangaroos and wombats and cockatoos just hang around the campgrounds.....we are renting the same campervan in Perth this next visit and are going to camp in Margarets river. I highly recommend it. have a wonderful time, the kids will love you for this!!!

Old Feb 8th, 2001, 06:29 PM
Andrea

Dear Mike, <BR>This is probably too late, but, as an aussie, (also with 2 kids aged 11 and 8) I can tell you that Dec/Jan is not the best time to head north. It's very wet and muggy. I would suggest that you try Wilsons Promontory, which is Victoria's southern most point. It has incredible beaches and rivers and walks, including staying in an old lighthouse. FANTASTIC family accom - everything from units to camping areas. It is spectacular and not expensive. Also Phillip Island is beautiful. That's the place where the penguins come in every night. I have travelled over most of Australia and I would have to say that these are 2 of the most breathtaking areas you will find. You could contact Tourism Victoria for more details.

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 10:54 AM
MikeH

G'day Mike, <BR>from another Mike Downunder. <BR>Your Kids will love it. <BR>I'm a tour operator, mainly run private and Custom tours and many of them for families. <BR> <BR>As Andrea said, up north, and I mean Sydney and above it's far too hot and humid. During Nov. - March I generally restrict my activities to Vic. and South Australia. Of course Tasmania is good during our summer. <BR> <BR>Re your Kids ( I don't know how you are planning to travel ) just keep in mind that thei'll need frequent breaks and activities of interest to them. <BR>Kangaroo Island is a good choice and with the wild life I think kids the ages of yours will enjoy it. <BR> <BR>In Victoria there is also the Healesville Sanctuary, just a short drive from Melbourne, don't miss it. <BR>In the other direction there is Ballarat and I'm sure your Kids will enjoy Sovereign Hill as much as you. <BR> <BR>If you travel Melb. to Adelaide head south from Ballarat and travel along the Great Ocean Road - take your time. <BR>There are plenty of places along there where you can get onto the beach for the kids to have a swim. <BR> <BR>From about Dec. 20th or so you need to think about our school holidays with most places being booked out often as long as 6 months before. <BR>So you better plan and make any reservations you need pretty early. <BR> <BR>Have a good one, <BR>Mike.

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 04:30 PM
fiona

Hi, just thought I would put in my two bobs worth. <BR>Contrary to what the poster above said Kangaroo Island is a GREAT place for kids. Lots of animals, beaches, spectacular rock formations to climb on, and a really relaxed, friendly place. The ferry trip over is usually a highlight for kids as well. <BR> <BR>For more information, try the 'holiday ideas' page of the SA Tourism website at: <BR> <BR>http://www.southaustralia.com <BR> <BR>Best of luck, <BR> <BR>Fiona.

Old Feb 17th, 2001, 06:13 AM
Matthew

My wife and I travelled to Australia last year at the exact same time with our 7 year old. The kids will have a great time. Don't forget it's Summer then, so all the typical beach possibilities exist. Taking the Ferry to Manly Beach not only gives beautiful views of the City, etc, but allows for the kids to have a great time at the Beach. New Year's Eve in Sydney along the Harbour was an experience that neither the adults, nor my daughter will ever forget; once in a life time experience. We rented a car which allowed drives to some out of the way places for a true Australian experience. In general however, as long as the destination had something to offer for our daughter (time at a beach, etc), she was willing to put up with the other aspects which interested the adults. <BR>In general I would consider skipping the GoldCoast, and substituting either Melbourne or one of the Islands in the Whitsundays. We stayed at Hamilton Island and Lindeman Island (Where they have a clubMed which my daughter loved). Short trips to the Great Barrier Reef our easy. The GoldCoast struck us as a slightly less polished version of Waikiki or Miami Beach. It was ok, but not worthy of what otherwise could be a trip of a lifetime. <BR>