Australia to New Zealand by boat

Jul 11th, 2005, 12:59 AM
Original Poster

Australia to New Zealand by boat

Help, I have looked for weeks now for a way to get from Australia to New Zealand by boat and I only find 14 day cruises.

Is this all there is? Do I really have to fly?!

Thank you in advance for any help.
Jul 11th, 2005, 08:46 AM
ALF

There is no ferry-type boat service between NZ and Oz, primarily because it is further than most people think - 1300 miles between Auckland and Sydney. Boat travel over such distances is not competitive with airplanes.
Jul 12th, 2005, 04:45 AM

It's the usual story...it's only an inch on the map!
Jul 12th, 2005, 01:43 PM

Once upon a time there was a ship from Sydney to Auckland and I'm old enough to have been on it as a teenager. It took about 3 days, dreadful crossing over a wintry Tasman, nearly everyone was vomiting constantly (which is why I remember it) and nothing but water. We flew home!
Jul 12th, 2005, 04:51 PM

As a child some 30 years plus ago we sailed form Sydney to Auckland. This crossing is not for the fainthearted. Like riding a rollercoaster for three days.

My brother and I took great pleasure in going round the decks and counting the number of passengers leaning over the side throwing up. Ah the pleasures of youth.

The only crossings by ship now are by the occassional cruise liner but as part of a larger tour. Or if you are lucky you may be able to score a berth on a freighter. Some take paying passengers. (though again usually it is part of a longer excursion).

Believe me a three hour plane flight is infinately more comfortable to three days on spin cycle in a washing machine

Cheers

Steve
Jul 12th, 2005, 08:56 PM

When my family emigrated to Canada in 1969, we travelled by ship to Florida. I think I was in my bunk by the time we left the Heads in Sydney - couldn't even change out of my suit (those were the days - it had a lovely circle miniskirt with matching vest.)& only got out of bed in Auckland - I was so sick. Never had a problem for the remaining 3 weeks. In fact, I've never been seasick since.
Jul 13th, 2005, 01:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your help. Yes, I knew it would be a few-day journey but now I understand why the service no longer exists.

I'll fly
Jul 13th, 2005, 03:02 AM

Actually read recently that you can go as a passenger on a freighter whiched looked delighful until I saw the price. Cheaper to fly but if you want to sail quickly a freighter will offer that.