Australia-need help!!

Aug 11th, 1997, 12:26 PM
Tracy Beder

Australia-need help!!

I am going to Perth Jan'98 for the swimming world championships. I am only going for 2 days of the meet and would like to travel the country and need recommendations as to where to go/stay in a 2 week period of time. Don't have a huge budget, but would like decent hotels (nice beaches, pools) since this is probably a once in a lifetime deal. Any suggestions? Tracy

Aug 11th, 1997, 11:07 PM
Danny

Hi, I now live in Perth and I 'm happy to do some research for you. E-mail what you are after and let me source it for you. Jan 98 is hot about 35C + most days beaches are great and plentiful you will have a blast.

Aug 12th, 1997, 10:56 PM
Glen

Hello

I'm from Perth as well. Yes it will be very hot here in January, but if you're swimming you may not notice so much! The beaches here are some of the best in the world and on the doorstep of the city. Australia is a big country, in fact a little bigger than the USA. Your comment about travelling the country is really broad. Does it mean you want to go to Sydney etc??? One hotel in Downtown Perth that isn't too expensive and in a great location is the Hotel Ibis(formerly Princes Hotel). There are quite a few inner-city hotels that wont break the budget. Five Star hotels in Perth are very pricey. Let us all know, I'm sure there are plenty of Sandgropers (West Australians) that can help you out.Cheers.

Aug 13th, 1997, 07:39 PM
Robert

HIYA! I'm from Melbourne and I am going to the swimming Champs!! (I hope)

If you need a hand with anything.. then email me with the details and I would be more than happy to help .....

If you do come to Australia... Then MAKE SURE you visit Melbourne.. It honestly is as stated by Travel officials '97 "The most peacful and Beautiful City in the World'" It's a must!

Otherwise... Take Care and I wish you the best wit the Champs! And with your trip .......Robert

Aug 16th, 1997, 08:55 AM
melissa

I'm another from WA. I think that if you are in WA and want to see a bit more than city, a trip 'down south' - to the Margaret River region, is very worthwhile. It is stunning anytime of the year but summer in some the beaches are wonderful and there is lots to see in the area. Perth is a great city to see at the time of year you will be here - i am sure you will have a great time!

Sep 9th, 1997, 05:28 PM
Andy Bordelon

Florida couple in early retirement would like to casually tour the land of OZ and New Zealand over a 30 day period in October, 1998. We would like to find a Point of Contact to coordinate self-directed travel and tours. We prefer the "low-key" travel approach rather than the crowded pre-programed packaged tours. Any suggestions or contacts would be very nice.

Andy & Louise

Sep 11th, 1997, 03:37 PM
Susan Echlin

I'm not from Perth, but I have spent a long time there as a traveller and can give you a foreigner's opinion. There are many things to do down south, if you want to rent a car and do that route. The Dunsborough, Margaret Rive, Albany, the Stirling Ranges - all are exceptionally beautiful. I also had a great time travelling north to Darwin. Broome is incredible, the swimming with the Dolphins at Monkey Mia terribly touristy but still a lot of fun.