Australia Lodging

Jul 23rd, 1997, 03:56 AM
David Booth

Australia Lodging

my wife and i will be touring australia (first time) in october. we need suggestions for nice lodgings in sydney, cairns, alice, and melbourne. we are budget travelers so we will be looking for under $75US/night with breakfast and private bath. your experience could really help us out. thanks

Jul 23rd, 1997, 10:51 PM
Danny

David, a chain of hotels would be the best way to go. The chains may include Best Western, Travel lodge (part of South Pacific group) etc. All would have private ensuites and $75 USD would cover most locations with you having to stay out of the CBD in both Melb and Sydney. Feel free to e-mail if i can be of any assistance.

Jul 24th, 1997, 05:25 PM
d. booth

thanks for the reply. we have found b&b in CNS and ASP. best western may be best for us in MEL and SYD.

new subject: any suggestions on economical car rental in CNS, ASP, SYD & MEL?

regards
david

Jul 24th, 1997, 06:04 PM
Bob Godwin

We just got back in April from 5 weeks in Australia.
It was our 5th trip. I would suggest that you skip Alice Springs, it is not worth the trip. If you want you can fly in and out of Ayers Rock, which is OK to see. Do not go to Kings Canyon, it is not really a big canyon compared to those in the US. it definately is not a Grand Canyon. I generally stay at the Flag Inn Chain (they have an 800 number).
They will send you a brochure which describes their property well, but do not buy thier coupons, as you can get a better deal directly with the hotel. There are not very many Best Westerns in Az. I have generally found Hertz to be very competitive for car rental, but sometimes Budget.
I rent the smallest with auto (shifting with the left hand plus driving on the left is too hard). If you belong to AAA you can got into their equivalet and get help. If you have not bought your tickets yet, I suggest Qantas, as I think they have the best Coach. If you have a question send me an email.
Bob

Jul 25th, 1997, 03:07 PM
Paul

David, Lodgings in Australia cover much the same price range as applies in the US. Budget compares with Motel 6 in terms of cost and facilities. The ramnge extends up to typical 5 star properties. Get an Automobile Club Guide as soon as you arrive. If you're anAAA member it'll be free; if not you pay about $10 AUD. They're comprehensive, based on actual inspections, and revised annually. Have a great time!!

Sep 9th, 1997, 05:35 PM
Andy Bordelon

Florida couple in early retirement would like to casually tour the land of OZ and New Zealand over a 30 day period in October, 1998. We would like to find a Point of Contact to coordinate self-directed travel and tours. We prefer the "low-key" travel approach rather than the crowded pre-programed packaged tours. Any suggestions or contacts would be very nice.

Andy & Louise