Australia itinerary - need advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2003, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon to Australia....we arrive on March 3rd, and our plan was to spend 5 nights in Sydney at the Observatory Hotel. Our plans for Sydney include:<BR><BR>- Bridgeclimb: what time of day should we go?<BR><BR>- Day trip to Wine Region - recommendations for tour operator?<BR><BR>- Day trip to Blue Mountains - again, tour operator recommendation?<BR><BR>- Bondi or Manly beach?<BR><BR>- Opera house performance<BR><BR>- Sydney sightseeing<BR><BR>- Taronga Zoo<BR><BR>Then we fly to Cairns and spend 5 nights in Port Douglas/Sheraton Mirage - our questions:<BR><BR>- Should we stay an additional night in Sydney and only stay in Port Douglas for 4 nights?<BR><BR>- 1 day at GBR: suggestions for tour operator?<BR><BR>- 1 day touring rainforest<BR><BR>- Other activities up in Port Douglas area?<BR><BR>Thank you so much,<BR>Kate<BR><BR><BR><BR>
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 04:03 PM

Hi, ksaintcyr!<BR>Just a few ideas here to start the ball rolling:<BR>The Bridgeclimb takes around three hours, what with the registration, training, dressing, etc.... so go for a late afternnon climb, which will take you up in daylight. As you come down again, the lights of Sydney will be coming on. (Pick a fine, clear day).<BR>The Blue Mountains is easily seen without a tour operator. I often feel, in fact, that some of the tours (the Blue Mountains Explorer Bus, for example) actually steer people away from the best part, which is, surely, walking down from Echo Point or Wentworth Falls to the valley below. Just take a train from Sydney terminal (if you buy your ticket right on 9 a.m. and then hop the 9:03 train, you get a return for around the same price as a one-way), and, once at Katoomba Station hop a taxi for the couple of kilometres to Echo Point. Then just walk down. You don't have to walk up again... you can take the Scenic Railway, which comes out about 700metres from where you started. Then it's back to the station by bus or taxi, and you've had a better day than any of the tour operators would show you, and for a fraction of the price.<BR>Manly Beach and Bondi are very similar. Bondi has the international reputation, so I suppose you will favour that; however, the trip out there (by bus, or train and bus) is dull in the extreme, and Bondi itself is a bit tacky. The trip on the ferry to Manly, on the other hand, past the Opera House and all the best of the harbour, is a highlight in itself... and when you get there, you can walk up the bush track to North Head, visit the Shark Aquarium, and even find the remains of the famous Manly Castle -- only a few walls with gargoyles remain of this magnificent folly. So, I'd pick Manly, for sure.<BR>Unless you are prepared to book in advance, you may not get into the Opera Theatre for an Opera House performance, as tickets are highly sought after -- and standing room is limited. However, the larger of the two main halls, the Concert Theatre, is so big that it's rarely full, even for headline attractions. If you're prepared to sit up the back, this would probably be the way to go without a prior booking.<BR>Taronga Zoo is worth a visit, if not for the animals, then for the scenery which the animals get to look at every day. Go by ferry, take the cable car straight to the top (free with entry) and then walk back down towards the ferry.<BR>Finally, see Sydney on foot or by ferry wherever possible. You can take four or even more ferries in a single day, and each one will visit an interesting new part of the harbour. Buy one single ticket (a Daytripper Pass) at the beginning of the day. For $13.40 you can ride as many ferries as you like, even the Rivercat to Parramatta (an hour's journey), and still go on trains and buses at the end of the day.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 04:33 AM

The absolute high light of your tour will be the Day Tour to Lizard Island.<BR>Snorkel on pristine reef, explore the beauiful beaches, enjoy a 700km flight along the Great Barrier reef and the Rainforests and wet lands of Cape York. This is world class.<BR>Pete
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 06:40 AM

Hi !! Congrats on getting married and even more on picking Australia as your HM -- we are doing the same! : ) We go in May and I posted my &quot;Finalized Honeymoon Itinerary&quot; but I'll try and give you the highlights as they pertain to what you are doing ( which is very similar to me ) <BR><BR>Bridgeclimb -- I've been told two different things -- one -go in the twilight period - up in the day down in the night - best of both worlds. . .however I should say I was also told with that timeslot you are on the way down when they do most of the pictures and they are not as good since you can't see stuff in the background. Just a thought to consider. <BR><BR>Wine Region -- we are doing a trip to hunter valley with Red Carpet. Check out www.winecountry.com.au or www.huntervalley.com for other tours.<BR><BR>Blue Mts -- we chose DalMyles on recommendations from John in Miami ( on this board ) www.dalmyles.com -- check it out. <BR><BR>Not sure about Bondi or Manly but have heard the walk from Spit to Manly is great and beautiful. <BR><BR>Opera House Performance -- we are doing something called Starry Nights -- see the website www.sydneyoperahouse.com. You do an hour tour, dinner at Aria or Bennelong ( you pick ) and then take in a performance of your choice. Pricing adjusts based on the performance and I have been told to see something in the Concert Hall as thats the largest and there are tons of halls throughout the place. We are going to see a play since it was more appealing to us and we'll see the hall on the tour. <BR><BR>Taronga Zoo -- don't miss it! : ) <BR><BR>We are doing the same only exactly as you questioned. 6 nights in Sydney and 4 in PD. This was recommended to us since we are doing the two all day trips to Blue and Hunter and will need/want the time around Sydney. <BR><BR>In Port ---<BR><BR>Don't miss www.anhs.com.au -- David Armburt's tour which is praise up adn down on this board for a natural rainforest experience. <BR><BR>Can't recommend a GBR tour as we are goign out to Lizard Island for 5 nights for our GBR experience. <BR><BR>We are also doing the Kuranda Skytram/Rail trip. I've heard its touristy but there is a small zoo called Heritage Zoo that lets you hold a koala in it for a sm. fee. <BR><BR>We are also taking this safari our other day up in Port. Check it out on the site. www.australianwildernessexperience.com<BR><BR>That s what we are doing -- those are four days with activities -- you have to email me when you get back since we are not honeymooning until June 2- 20th and I'll want to hear all about it as well as need your helpful last minute suggestions!!<BR><BR>Ohh one last thing -- restaurants I have heard excellent things about in Port: Nautilis ( reserve ahead of time) and On the Inlet. There are others! Check out www.pddt.com.au.<BR><BR>In Sydney restaurants ( nice ones ) are Level 41, Tetsuya, and Aria ( which we are planning on going to with the Opera Pkg ) <BR><BR>Hope this helps! Enjoy the trip --- its going to be incredible!!!<BR><BR>Dawn ([email protected])
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 08:30 PM

As mentioned above Bridgeclimb is best either at dawn or dusk especially early March as it will get hot during the day.<BR><BR>Taronga Zoo is fantastic definitely not to be missed.<BR><BR>Bondi or Manly... hmmm i personally prefer Bondi. It's a bit younger than Manly which is quite family. Depends on what you prefer. If you can do both then great <BR><BR>You won't need anymore than 4 nights in Port Douglas (Cairns is hideous). Try to pick a GBR tour that has smaller boats with less people. We stayed at Cape Tribulation which is 3 hours north of Cairns and the smaller tours are much more personallised.<BR><BR>If you have trouble seeing an Opera try the Sydney Theatre Company: http://www.sydneytheatre.com.au/<BR><BR>I see at least 3 plays a year and their all fantastic. Infact seeing 'The Shape of Things' tomorrow.<BR><BR>If you want to eat out at a spectacular restaurant try those along the Finger Wharf in Woolloomooloo. Otto, Kingsley's... Down at Bondi the best restaurants are (hands down) Sean's Panaroma and Yulla. Amazing views... It stays light until 8.30-9 at night so it's beautiful watching the sun set while having dinner at the beach.<BR><BR>I could go on... i love this city
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 07:50 AM

Hi Kate-congrats on your marriage! Australia is the best place ever. I did the Bridgeclimb in the morning and it was great-but I was also there in July so the weather was cooler. Do not wear the beenie hat they give you b/c you will look like a bank robber in the picture. Trust me on this one! It's a great photo opportunity so prepare well. Also, when you go to Port Douglas if you are adventurous then perhaps try a sky dive with Paul's Parachuting. Great company and it was heaps of fun. Definitely do the Opera House performance but skip the tour. It was very technical and boring for my friends and me. Bondi and Manly were both great, and basically just take the blue bus out to Bondi, have lunch, and hop back on the bus. I would do it just to see it. I did not spend much time up north but one thing I missed was a day trip to Whitehaven Beach, which is ranked as one of the top 10 beaches in the world. It's supposed to be fabulous so try to do that, plus a trip to Lizard or Hayman Island. Sydney is absolutely wonderful-enjoy every minute. I&quot;m actually going back this summer (I&quot;m from NYC) and I cannot wait. I loved it more than anything. Have a wonderful trip and a great wedding. Abby