Australia: Best bang for the buck.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 09:49 PM
Carl

Australia: Best bang for the buck.

We're a couple of seniors looking to visit Australia, NZ,and Fiji on a standard land tour in early October. Looking for opionions on the best deal available. Not the cheepest but the BEST deal available.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 11:10 PM

Would suggest you rephrase your question - has definite sexual connotations in our country!

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 02:16 AM
Kerry

Hi Carl
The first poster reflected my initial reaction! and I wonder what sort of person would post that on the Fodors site. I guess now that your statement refers to fireworks!

I have a saying that there is no such thing as good cheap paint - you only get what you pay for. I feel the same applies to travel. Personally I wonder why people would want to spend $US 1100 a night but at that price people get the service, food and exclusive privacy that they want. I tend to be a $US75 to $US150 a night guest. Loads of people, including myself at times, can be perfectly happy in $US25 a night accommodation. By standard land tour I'm not sure if you mean that you just want to do a scenic trip or if you are looking for a tour package.

Whatever way it would be helpful if you could:
1. give a bit of a breakdown as to the amount of time in each country,
2. If you are looking for packaged tours,
3. The sort of budget you want to work to on your holiday.
Give us a bit more information and I will be happy to assist you.
Kerry

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 08:51 AM
Carl

Thank you for the reply kerry. I will consider it the only reply.We are well traveled, however we have not visited Australia yet. We feel that a package tour would suit our needs and give us an overview and get acquainted exposurer. 16 to 24 day trips runs about $2400 to $3400, plus in early Oct. Now, what I was asking was, "Has anyone out there taken a packaged trip, so outstanding in that price range, that they would definately go back with the same tour company and hence recommend it other travelers"?

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 09:13 PM

Carl,
I was merely pointing out that it was an unfortunate phrase to use - since it obviously has a different meaning here in Australia than it does wherever you are from.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 06:50 PM
liz

I agree with Aussie and I am sure that Aussie did not mean to sound critical but just wanted to let you know that that really is not an accepted turn of phrase