Aussie Rules or Rugby Match?

Feb 18th, 2004, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Aussie Rules or Rugby Match?

We will be in Melbourne August 16-22 (depart Sunday morning) So was thinking we could do a Friday or Saturday. Night game would be most preferable so we could sight see during the day.

I was able to figure out the 2004 schedules or Fixtures as one of them called it!

Round 21 AFL

Aussie Rules
Friday 20th August
Collingwood v Port Adelaide at MCG (night)

Saturday 21st August
Carlton v Melbourne at Optus Oval
Adelaide v Geelong at AAMI Stadium
Sydney v Essendon at Telstra Stadium (night)
Western Bulldogs v Kangaroos at Telstra Dome (night)

Sunday 22nd August
Brisbane Lions v St Kilda at Gabba
Hawthorn v Richmond at MCG
Fremantle v West Coast at Subiaco Oval

Rugby
Melbourne Storm vs NSW Bulldogs at the Olympic Stadium Aug 20, 21, 22 no times listed

My hubby loves American Football and Hockey if that helps/makes a difference in which to chose. We would love to see a game in person. Which would be the most interesting?
Is there a particular match that would be better than others? I got the impression that Melbourne has like 3-4 teams in the vicinity but not sure if certain rivalries are better than others? How long do they last?

Is one stadium better to see than others? We are stay at the Hilton in the CBD.

Also what do we need to do to book tickets in advance??? Do they have will call at the ticket booth or will they have to be mailed at a high cost to us in the states????
Feb 18th, 2004, 09:34 AM

Alise, I don't know the answers to all of your questions. What I do recollect is that the state of Victoria, where Melbourne is located, is into Footie (Aussie Rules Football) in a big way. Rugby, on the other hand, is the big sport in the state of Queensland.

I would watch whichever sport was the main one for the state in question. In Melbourne that unquestionably is Footie.

Since it will be the Australian winter, dress warmly. It won't be freezing, or anything like that, but it's likely to be cool in the evening (maybe 40 deg F to 45 deg F).

If you're staying downtown, MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground) would be the most conveniently located venue for you. It's an easy walk or a very short train or tram ride from downtown.

The next most convenient location after that, I believe, would be Optus Oval. It's near the University of Melbourne, about 3 km from downtown, and readily accessible by public transportation.

You couldn't go to Telstra Stadium, as that is in Sydney, I believe.

AAMI Stadium is in Adelaide. "The Gabba" is in Brisbane. Subiaco Oval is in Perth.

So that kind of focuses your choices, doesn't it?

Hope someone else can come along and tell you how to buy tickets.
Feb 18th, 2004, 10:23 AM

Collingwood vs Port Adelaide stands out. Collingwood has a very large supporter base and Port was the leading team last year pre-finals (Brisbane ended up winning the Grand Final against Collingwood -suffering once again from the Colliwobbles). Carlton was a very good team but has lost it in the past couple of years but with Collingwood and Essendon would form the three biggest teams for support.
Feb 18th, 2004, 12:26 PM

Colingwood!
It's the only team I know
Feb 18th, 2004, 12:31 PM

Alise,
Just for your information the Rugby game you mention is actually called Rugby League as against Rugby Union - confusing but true!
Feb 18th, 2004, 12:33 PM

I'm probably the least qualified person in Australia to talk about football, but ignorance has never stopped me in any other area.

If, like me, you have no real idea what's happening out there on the field, I'd recommend fast-moving and relatively balletic Aussie Rules for entertainment value. As the players have to leap about a lot, they're a different shape from Rugby League and Rugby Union players, who need to weigh enough to kill their opponents by falling on them.

Rugby League is dominant in New South Wales and Queensland and Australian Rules in the other states. I think.

There are two Rugby codes, League and Union. Like me you may have trouble picking the difference, but I've been told that the real difference between these two football codes is class-based, Rugby League being thought to be a tough beer-drinking working-class game and Rugby Union the choice of effete, Chardonnay-drinking private school types. Not that you'd know it from the amount of mayhem on the field in both cases.

But as you've already been advised, if you're in Melbourne you'd be mad not to go the AFL match anyway. When Melburnians want to exercise their deepest religious feelings they go to the footie, not church.

Feb 18th, 2004, 01:06 PM

This is all too fascinating for words, possums, but can anyone give Alise the inside scoop on getting tickets?
Feb 18th, 2004, 03:32 PM

AFL would be the choice for Melb. The crowds & atmosphere are much better than for Rugby League. MCG, Optus Oval, & Telstra Dome are all in Melb. Telstra Dome is undercover, so if that day is turning out to be miserable weather wise, that might be an option. Tickets to Optus Oval might be hard to come by (much smaller stadium & since both teams are Melb. tix might be scarce). For the MCG or Telstra Dome, I would wait & buy my tickets on the day of the match at the venue. If you want to buy ahead of time - I think the websiet is www.ticketmaster.com.au. Tickets won't be available yet, but I imagine they would go on sale fairly soon as pre-season matches begin next month. BTW - based on last years results, the Collingwood/Pt Adelaide game would be the one to see. ENjoy - it's a great game to watch, and very easy to understand.
Feb 18th, 2004, 05:08 PM

Possums?! Judy, you haven't morphed into Dame Edna Everage while nobody was looking, have you?
Feb 19th, 2004, 12:22 AM

Round 21 AFL Collingwood v Pt Adel at the MCG would be the best pick. The MCG is the heart of sport in Melb and its within a short walk of the Hilton which is just on the outskirts of the CBD. I would suggest pre-booking and you can certainly pick tickets up at the venue. The other alternative would be to ask the Hlton to book them for you - I'm sure they could do that.

As far as the other matches are concerned - Carlton V Melb - 2 of the bottom ranked teams last year. Adel v Geelong -the match is in Geelong (about 100kms away), Telstra Dome is at the other end of the CBD - and it not nearly as atmospheric as the MCG and the Gabba & Subiaco are in Brisbane and Perth respectively.
May 11th, 2004, 02:18 AM

Alise, I'm from Melbourne and the best thing to see is two of the top Melbourne sides go head to head. Go to the MCG without a doubt and buy tickets when you get there at the gate. No problems for any game bar Essendon v Collingwood on Anzac day (already gone). There are only seven teams in the AFL outside of Melbourne - West Coast, Adelaide, Port Adelaide, Brisbane, Sydney, Geelong (still in Victoria though) and Fremantle. The website for all AFL info is www.afl.com.au where you can find the ladders etc. Go to Collingwood v Port Adelaide if you want a night game. Nothing better than day footy though and I would go to Hawthorn v Richmond, then you get supporters "rooting", as you guys call it, for both sides. One tip is don't use the word "rooting" in Oz, it has an entirely different meaning! And it's footy, not footie! Ask people when you get there what game to go to. There is no shortage of Melbournians that want to talk footy at the end of the season, coming up to finals. But definitely the MCG, hop skip and a jump from the Hilton.
May 11th, 2004, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

we went ahead and bought online tix for the Night game at the mcg (port adelaide/collingwood). Want our days free for sightseeing.

I think we got decent seats since I have never been to a game not sure but they are on the lower level not too far off the field.

either way I expect to have a LOT of fun!

They do sell BEER during the game right??? And what is traditional food for games? Here in American we do Hot Dogs, Peanuts, pretzels, and of course now our baseball stadium even has sushi so they are moving away from traditional but would love to know what to expect!

May 11th, 2004, 12:36 PM

I was at the MCG for the Grand Final last year. Brisbane Lions vs Collingwood. I've never been so cold in my life! There was nothing I could do to keep warm (well, nothing legal!)

So - rug up big time!

Collingwood may be a great team, with fanatical supporters, but this year - rock bottom of the table (or so I learnt on Tony Squires show Monday!) But I agree that in Melbourne you have to go to AFL. Rugby league is weak, and rugby (union) is non-existant.

Food - the usual crap sporting fixture stuff. I recall chips, hot dogs, pies.

Have fun - it is indeeed a religion in Melbourne.
May 11th, 2004, 02:24 PM

Trivia time: apropos of Aaron_B's very sound advice, if you've read Larry McMurtry's "Lonesome Dove" you'll find the word "root" used in the Australian sense (I think early in the story, when one of the characters announces his intention to ride into town for one). Like Aaron, my sense of decorum forbids further explanation.
May 11th, 2004, 05:30 PM

Despite Collingwood (the 'magpies') being on the bottom, the fans are pretty fanatical so you can enjoy them. Look for the group in black and white, although as Port is from Adelaide there wont be too many of their supporters there anyway.

Traditional food is definitely (meat) pie with sauce (almost the same as ketchup). You have to have one or two, they will be sold all around the ground, although you may find them either lukewarm or mouth blisteringly hot and possibly not to your liking (but its the 'experience'). Beer is, of course, sold but in plastic cups (to prevent cans being thrown at people) and there is a limit to the number you can buy at once (I think its 6, so that should be fine for the 2 of you).

As a tip - aussie rules is a fairly confusing game and the playing time is 100 minutes (total game time over 2 hours). You will undoubtedly enjoy it more if you do some basic reading about the rules beforehand. Its closest counterpart (other than gaelic football, which is similarly confusing) is probably soccer in that its not two teams lined up facing each other (like American football or rugby) but players are scattered all over the field. Except, of course, in rules you can also use your hands and there is no offside (and the ball and the goals and the field are different . . and there are 18 players on each team).

There are some tough clashes but its not a game with as much body impact as rugby league (you can watch league on TV, its a much better game for watching on TV than aussie rules)
May 11th, 2004, 07:39 PM

I forgot...
Aussie Rules is the game for men with good legs!
May 13th, 2004, 03:07 AM

This brief is not just for people who may be visiting our magnificent shores, but also for Neil from WHERE.

(QUOTE)Rugby Union the choice of
Chardonnay-drinking private school types.(UNQUOTE)

Neil from WHERE "

Just ask Lote Tuqiri.

His home town had electricity connected a couple of years ago for the first time.

Does he sip Chardonnay, I doubt he even drinks alcohol at all.

For those of you who have not heard of Loti, he is one of the greatest Rugby Union AND Rugby League players God ever created. He is infact one of the greatest athletes in the world today like many of his professional team mates.

Mat Rogers is an other one, I mean he excelled in both union and league, and lets not forget about Wendall Sailor.

Are those guys hard headed hard drinking people who weigh enough to kill their opponents by falling on them.

No not at all , they are some of the very finest athletes on the planet.

Shame on you Neil.

I wonder if George Gregan , Steve Larkham, or Stirling Mortlock and or hundreds of other athletes would appreciate the way you advertise their talents Neil.

For those of you who do not know about league and or union , these games are also religion to many people in several states of Australia.

Most Australians think the game Neil is referring to ( afl )is a game played by women dressed up as men,
out for a Saturdays afternoon of aerial Ping Pong.

Any one wanting to watch the greatest game of all take note of the locations and the dates below.

If you are comming here to learn about Australia and the REAL australians not the panzies take note of the dates posted below.

You can book through www.ticketex.com

You may be lucky enough to purchase tickets if you are very quick.

State of Origin I
QLD v NSW - Telstra Stadium May 26

State Of Origin II June 16
QLD v NSW - Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane

State of Origin III July 7
QLD v NSW - Telstra Stadium

fsg
May 13th, 2004, 02:17 PM

The correct web address for tickets:
www.ticketek -
also don't forget Wallabies v Scotland June 19 and Wallabies v All Blacks NZ August 6 - great UNION games.
May 13th, 2004, 09:12 PM

Oops - that should read August 7 rather than 6.