aus 2006

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aus 2006

Okay i am a planner and need to start. I have been told, to hit Tazmania and i want to see the GBR and do low key snorkle - my preference is from a beach not a boat. will be giving myself 3 weeks. will i have time for urulu? or is there something else that is a must see. i am NOT a city person. i like it low key, don't need night life to enjoy my time (not being at work is enough!) any suggestions? I love the U.S. southwest and rocky mountains, i am also a beach person at a moments notice. thanx.
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 05:24 PM

What time of year, justme?
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 03:37 AM
Original Poster

that's just it, i was thinking "shoulder season" i don't want to miss ski season in US, so maybe march, or oct/nov. i'd like beachy weather but not killer weather. i do a lot of high desert hiking, but really don't like to go above 80F when i'm doing that. (although most hiking would likely be tasmania???) any thoughts on good time to travel? thanx for the question.
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 01:29 PM

If you're doing the East Coast of Australia, shoulder season is definitely the time to come. Speaking just for my home town (Sydney), my favourite month is April, followed by October. Stick as close as possible to those months and you won't go far wrong. If you come to Sydney in March, check out the Sydney Royal Easter Show: the website is http://www.eastershow.com.au/

It won't be too hot in either of those months to hike in the Blue Mountains, a couple of hours by train west of Sydney, and Tasmania will be positively cool. You'll have time for Uluru, but be warned... it's generally regarded as a very expensive stopover, and it's a LONG way from anywhere (that's why many Australians, including myself and Neil_oz, haven't seen it); spectacular I am sure it is, but if you have just three weeks to see a continent the size of the United States, that's a long way to go to see a rock. You could get a lot of extra snorkelling done up at the Barrier Reef!

Australia has LOTS of National Parks, so if you love the USA southwest, you will find much here to delight you. The best part is that some of these are easily-accessible from the major cities. It would be worth checking out your local library for a book on Australia's national parks, or even buying one from amazon.com. One park I have never been to, but have always liked the sound of, is called Lawn Hill Gorge. It used to have a web page, but I have been unable to find it of late... maybe a google search will turn it up.

If you're not a city person, I think you may like to look at http://www.aussiepubs.com.au/. It will give you some good ideas of places to stay away from the cities.

Happy planning!
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 06:08 PM

Justme: If you do perchance happen to find your way here in November I'm sure RonH can concur you'll be in perfect stead to enjoy hundreds of gorgeous beaches along the WA coast. Snorkelling is also fantastic in WA's north - Dampier Archipelago
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 02:54 AM
Original Poster

thanx for giving me a place to start, any more info greatly appreciated to all, i'll be posting more q's i'm sure. I think that april is the month to go then, i really like october at home but never seem to be here! (ne us is beautiful in the fall!)
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 05:10 AM

Hi - march and oct/nov good times to come, as previously mentioned. If you want to snorkel from a beach then best to check out Ningaloo Reef in WA.
The GBR is, of course, amazing, but you have to take a boat to see any coral worth seeing. Nowt wrong with that - the trip can be lots of fun if you like boats! Unless that is, you want to think about Heron/Lizard Islands - neither of which I have visited (expensive). Though I believe that water temps could be a touch cold at Heron that time of year.

Have loads of fun planning.

Cheers.
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 01:01 AM

Hi - Alan mentioned Lawn Hill Gorge - it really is very, very lovely there but it is a little off the beaten track. I personally think it would be worth the effort but that's just imho.

If you could get to Uluru I don't think you'd be disappointed but if you like desert hiking etc perhaps you could find you way to Kings Canyon (not too far from Uluru) - a particular favourite of mine. A sensational walk around the canyon rim - a climb down to the Garden of Eden - back up again to finish the walk. Nightlife is a beautiful clear sky full of stars you think you can touch.

If you combine some of the 'outback' with our coastal beauty you will get a taste of some of the true colours of Australia.
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 06:46 PM

justme,

We spent 5 weeks early April to early May and had good weather going from Tasmania to N. Queensland, Kakadu and Uluru.

Hiking at Freycinet NP ont he east coast of Tassie was great. Wea ctually had 4 out of 5 days of sunshine in Tasmania. Hobart is the driest state capital.

We snorkeled off the Solway Lass a refurbished tall ship through the Whitsundays out of Airlie Beach and had a blast for 3 days.

Far n. Queenslabnd was wet in early May even though we were advised we'd hit drier weather. Coming from the SW of the US we loved the rain and rainforest near Cape Trib and the lushness of the Atherton tableland.

We made the trip out to Uluru and Kings Canyon and greatly enjoyed our hiking there but we did have 5 weeks.

We also got up to Kakadu NP which some aussies who've never been there call Kakadon't. Excellent 5 days and great rock art in Arnhemland.

Best part of the trip were generous, warm and friendly Aussies.

AndrewDavid
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 06:48 PM

PS we were planning 330 days in advance to snag free airline tix.

A/D
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

i am getting great info here. i am a desert hiker so now urulu sounds even more interesting. i will only have 22 days and i want to keep gbr and tasmania on the agenda, what about a week at each, flights inbetween?
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 04:24 PM

In my opinion, you don't neede a week in the Centre, and it'd be a pity to miss Sydney, which is quite nice thank you!

Cuppla days hiking around Kings Canyon and Uluru would be fine - should be OK in April, - and I'm sure AD can tell you what to see/avoid - but don't start him on the ruddy singing dingo!

October is into the fly season in the Centre, which does sort of take the edge off the place.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 04:49 PM

March/April is just perfect for a stay on one of the southern GBR coral cay islands, like Heron Island or better still try Lady Elliot Island. Yesterday the water temp. on Lady Elliot Island is 27 degrees, and water visibility is 30 metres at the moment.
On the island they have cabins, but also tents, with built floors etc, and which are okay, and you will save a little. Personally, I like the tent cabins, as they call, as it still feels like you camping on the island, when in fact your not, and the cost is kept down. Approx. $149 per person per day in a tent cabin, and that includes breakfast & dinner, use of snorkelling equipment, guided reef walks, guided bird life tour(in season), glass bottom boat tour. The cost of a return airline ticket from Hervey Bay to Lady Elliot Island is $175 per person.
Natures calendar for the island as follows:-
Turtle nesting....November - February
Turtle haching....February - April
Bird nesting......october - May
Whale Watching....June - October

Check out there website...www.ladyelliot.com.au
** You can also fly & stay at lady elliot island, from the following locations....Bundaberg, Hervey Bay, Maroochydore (Sunshine Coast), Brisbane, or the Gold Coast.
The island is "very" laid back, with a cafe, bar, and alfresco dining, swimming pool, and LOADS OF NATURE around you - worth a couple of days stay. This is not a 5 star hotel holiday, but meant for people who really want to enjoy diving on the coral reefs, and enjoying the bounty of nature surrounding them, and also you don't have go all the way up to Nth Qld.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 07:21 PM

Hi Justme - I agree with Aussiemel regarding snorkeling etc in north Western Australia. Cape Range National Park (in behind Exmouth) has the stunning Ningaloo Reef. Boy! I found it just sensational - I am not a great swimmer let alone snorkelling but it was just so beautiful I couldn't NOT go in. The beaches are absolutely pristine and beautiful - I really enjoyed my time there.

Don't wish to confuse you further but it is a spot worth considering.

Old Mar 7th, 2005, 03:06 AM
Original Poster

information is always helpful and never confusing. my problem is i am trying to see a whole country in 3 weeks! my travels in the states have taken me years! (i'll admit to seeing most of it tho) if i want to see wildlife, is there a particular place, kangaroos, koala birds etc. i am a big fan of bear watching in the states....