how to plan a 22 days in australia

Old Jan 9th, 2009, 01:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to plan a 22 days in australia

I will be in Australia with my wife and 7 years old son from March/12 to April/ 4th/2009.
I would like to see at least 4 different cities in Australia and to be honest with you I have been reading the forum and I am confused.
How would you plan your trip if you were me.
We would like to have little bit of everything like the beach, mountain and other things like you might know
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 02:49 AM

Hi,
This forum is a great place to test ideas and get advice. But it works best if you've done a bit of your own research first.

Why not get hold of a good comprehensive guide book and check stuff like maps, distances, weather, attractions - then come back and test your thoughts out here, giving a bit more info about what interests you, and your style of travel (eg, luxe, budget, etc).

It's a long way to come and just rely on the opinions of others.

Cheers.
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 04:10 AM

You will certainly get a few different suggestions Zakza and some will relate to different areas of Australia.

You probably need to prioritise a little but there are basics like
. weather - In March, inland will still be very warm to hot, there's long distances involved and likewise going too far north and it could be very humid as tropical weather often is.
Thus I reckon you could be happiest in the south east and/or Tasmania, late March being about as good as it gets for that region.

. beaches, mountains and arguably the two most interesting cities are in the south east, certainly the two largest in Sydney and Melbourne.

Tasmania has some rugged mountainous terrain and is a great compact island with some great beach areas on the eastcoast though more for general outdoorsy stuff rather than swimming - water a bit chillier and you have interesting smaller cities of Hobart and Launceston plus many smaller towns of some character.
So to me your options would be
. Tasmania - a week
. Melbourne with a loop to GOR/Mornington Peninsula and through Gippsland and to Snowy Mountains from Cann River for coastal/alpine drive to Sydney - 10 days
. Sydney 5 days
. Sydney to Brisbane/Sunshine Coast for beaches - a week

If beaches are high on priority I'd drop Tasmania for doing Sydney to Brisbane.

Using a nsite nlike www.travelmate.com.au will assist you in allocation of driving times.
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 05:00 AM

Hi,

We went to Oz in Dec / Jan 2007 / 2008.

You don't say whether you have been there before - but if not, I would do the following:

1. Cairns/Port Douglas for the Great Barrier Reef (or go to one of the islands).
2. Ayers Rock - you can get away with 2 nights if you time it right, but we had 3 nights ... I wouldn't need any more than that.
3. Melbourne,
4. Sydney. It has some decent beaches - you could also go to the Blue Mountains.

That should give you a good overview of Oz ... of course it will be hot in some places like Ayers Rock - but my attitude was that we may never get back there.

Hope that helps.

Mark
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 03:52 PM

g'day,
is it just cities you want to see ro four different areas?
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 04:21 PM

Seems like at least four cities and
"We would like to have little bit of everything like the beach, mountain and other things like you might know"
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 07:26 AM

The default itinerary for many first time visitors to Australia is Sydney-Cairns-Ayers Rock. This isn't bad, but there are many other possibilities to consider, depending on your tastes and interests. Traveling with a 7 year old will no doubt weigh. Then there's the climate to consider. March-April is a pretty good time to go, since it will be cooling off in the north and it will still be quite warm in the south. You will most likely have good weather to enjoy Sydney beaches. The outback (Ayers Rock) will be quite hot - not the optimal time there unfortunately - the infamous flies will still be out in force.

Some good alternative destinations have already been mentioned, in particular Tasmania. Here are a few more:

Darwin: visit Kakadu and Litchfield National Parks.. see lots of wildlife (especially crocodiles), huge waterfalls with great swimming, and beautiful scenery (parts of "Crocodile Dundee" were filmed there). Of all the places we took our kids, this ranks near or at the top - they loved the swimming holes at Litchfield.

The Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast or Brisbane (SE Queensland): Though built up along the coast, there are fantastic beaches, wildlife parks (e.g., Currumbin Sanctuary, Lone Pine Sanctuary and Australia Zoo), rainforests, waterfalls and mountain scenery inland (e.g. Lamington National Park) plus several amusement/theme parks - Sea World, Dreamworld, Wet'n'Wild, etc. Lots in the area to keep a 7 year old amused!

Queensland islands: Heron Island or Lizard island resorts, right on the Barrier Reef with excellent snorkeling and diving. Or one of the Whitsunday Island resorts....we took our kids to Brampton Island and they loved it. Nice beaches, great walks, water activities - very beautiful. Snorkeling not as good as the reef islands.

The Great Ocean Road: drive from Melbourne to Adelaide on Australia's most scenic coastal road, maybe visit Kangaroo Island and tour Adelaide wine country as well.

I could also suggest Perth, but I'm no expert, not having been there. But, if you are not averse to the airfare, Broome in Western Australia is a wonderful destination. Great beaches; gateway to the wild, remote and scenic Kimberley region, including the amazing Bungle Bungle Ranges.

Old Jan 11th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

RALPH R & BUSHRANGER
thanks a lot for the information very use full and complete.
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 01:33 PM

I'd suggest that you leave Kakadu and NQ off the list as both will be tops in humidity and more than likely there would be restrictions in place on where you can get to in Kakadu.
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 01:59 PM

zakzakeru

you already had great suggestions from the previous posters here.
I am from EU and LOVE Australia. I have been there 4 times.
Sydney is my best favourite city in the world, hands down, NO 1 !! Allow there at least 5 days. Darling Harbour is simply great. Bondi Beach and Manly beach not to be missed. I would add Watsons Bay, with the scenic walk along the cliffs overlooking the ocean and the gateway betweenn the bay and the ocean. The ferry cruises to Manly and Watsons Bay are the highlight of Sydney Bay.
Take the kid to Taroonga Zoo in Sydney, a short ferry trip from Circular Quay to the north shore.
With 22 days you cannot see much of this continent but can have a very good idea. You will probably ending up wishing to come back again and again.
Coming back to your itinerary If I wre you I would do as follows:

- 5 days Sydney
- 5 days Between Ayers Rock, Mt Olgas, Kings Canyon and Alice Springs, better if renting a car to taste the real RED CENTER
- 5 days Darwin and Kakadu area. March/April is usually already away from the rainy season. Your son will appreciate cruises in Kakadu seeing crocodiles.
- 5 days to Cairns for cruising the Great Barrier Reef or, as second option to Brisbane/Gold Coast/Sunshine Coast for regular beach activities, although not very different from many other places in the world like Florida, for example, I mean still a lovely place but nothing really "australian".

As firts trip to Australia I would concentrate city visits only to Sydney, saving the other cities to later trips, including:

- Great Ocean Road, west of Melbourne
- Perth, the Pinnacle Desert, Wave Rock, the gold mine towns of Coolgardie and Kalgoorie
- Kangaroo Island, near Adelaide, lots of koalas and other wildlife. Our two kids love wildlife !!
- Tasmania

In december 2007 we came to Sydney from EU just for only 9 days but we could enjoy the New Year's Eve fireworks from a boat in front of the Harbour Bridge. It was fantastic ! The best foreworks in the world. It was really worth the total 4 days flying trip from EU !!

Wherever you will be in Australia you will have a great holiday !!

We are just back from Queensland since 2 weeks and I would leave again immediately.. !!!
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 02:20 PM

sorry, my mistake on my previous post. The dry season is not started yet in Darwin and Kakadu in March-April. Better to skip it for another trip between may and october/november
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Dear Fabio
Thanks for your information.
As you mentioned 22 days is not enough to see australia but i could get some idea.
We all like the green nature and seeing animals and birds in nature not captivity.
Other thing is that i do not like to move around to be on the road all the time, i like to be able to relax to BBQ and have few drinks when i am on vacation.
looking at hotels in internet i noticed that there are not too many with swimming pool.
i will post my trip dairy when i get back.
I will still like to get more sugestions.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 11:59 AM

for short notice (30 days) hotel offers try this australian site, but not only for australia:

www.wotif.com

Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 03:09 PM

I'd suggest if you want a bit of space to move around in, BBQing and the like that you check out cabins in caravan parks as you are away from school holiday times and there will be ample vacancies just about anywhere in Australia and they just about always have like an outdoors sheltered kitchen/BBQ area which is a great place to meet Australians and other travellers.
Most will have pools and they are usually located in good settings right by sea, lakes or rivers and never too far from other facilities like shops and tourist points and information centres.

Do also check out the Information Centres as you're travelling as they along with any National Parks offices/depots are a great resource for local information.
www.big4.com.au
www.caravanparksonline.com.au
www.familyparks.com.au
www.toptouristparks.com.au
will have most covered and give you an idea.

You might even want to hire a campervan and then there'll be some national parks and state forests you could stop over in, and many places where our grey nomads as they're called all pull up for an evening for free - usually basic facilities of a toilet block, but hey!, it's cheap.

You may even be able to work in something cheaper for a few days - http://www.standbyrelocations.com/default.aspx

Have fun.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for the imput about campsites and campervan, i have been thinking about it but i was not sure how it would be.
I had checked the big 4 campsite and iwas thinking to rent a cabin but it seemed to be expensive and i found out they are about 40minutes from the center of town.
which one would you recommand in sydney are the camsites in most cities and islands?
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 09:07 PM

A lot of caravan parks have a range of accommodation from luxury ensuite cabins at top end down to more spartan ones and some will have what they call on site vans, a bit cheaper again and they are just a caravan that has been set up as a stationary alternative to a cabin.

I'd be surprised if you do not find quite a few that have rates lower than city hotels for instance but there also some good value hotels about and in country towns you have motels and many of those have pools and BBQ facilities but caravan parks can offer a better atmosphere.

You will find limited cheaper accomodation on islands and as for Sydney - http://www.lanecoverivertouristpark.com.au/ is probably the closest.

There is another one at Lake Narrabeen on northern beaches and if you look at the various sites they usually have a directory of sorts to look up where caravan parks are located.
The big4 chain are probably near the top as far as cost goes and you can also pay about $30 for a membership card which could give you 10% off per night - that detail on the websites.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 09:08 PM

The caravan park at Lane Cove (14 km from the CBD) in Sydney is very popular. It is part of a national park so lots of birds etc. I understand there is a bus stop outside the park for reasonably easy access to the city. Their website is www.lctp.com.au
They have cabins, plus sites for motor homes.
One benefit of staying in cabins in parks is that they provide playgrounds and possibly playmates for your seven year old, plus using the bbq/camp kitchen area will help you meet other travellers.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 09:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Zakzakeri

A suggestion for a bit of beach, perhaps a trip to the Zoo. There's an excellent caravan park right on the water at Narrabeen (Northern Beaches of Sydney). Very safe for swimming and good eating options nearby.

http://www.sydneylakeside.com.au/

Your son would adore it and the transport to the city, Manly and other Northern Beaches is very good with buses on nearby Pittwater Road.
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot every body
especially the BUSHRANGER,MAGE and every body else
I really like this web site.
Getting all this information from diffrent peole makes me fell like i have already been there.
By the way marge i could not open www.ictp.com.au
do you by any chance have a phone number i can call them.
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 03:30 PM

The Lane Cove River Park site is as I have posted Zakza, and btw, do get used to just using a starting Capital for a name otherwise people might think you're shouting at them and want to give you a rap on the knuckles.

The web site gives you all required info.