Auckland hotel choice

Nov 13th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Auckland hotel choice

Am trying to decide between the Sky City Grande Hotel and the Westin Circular Quay. I can get a king room at either place for about the same price (this weekend, Sat & Sun).

The SCG rate is their "last minute" (within 28 days) rate.

The Westin rate is a low advance booking promotional rate. The last minute rate at Westin is much higher, almost double. I have SPG Gold status with Westin and so might get an upgrade.

The location of the SC Grande sounds best and I would choose that if I didn't get a benefit from my frequent guest status at the Westin.

Please advise on any reason(s) to choose one hotel over the other, given the rate is the same.
Nov 13th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

For this weekend's stay I will be flying into Auckland at 11:35PM though I might try to get an earlier flight from Sydney.

Am also going to be staying at one of those places on Nov 26, arriving by train from Wellington and flying out the next morning at 9AM.

Is either hotel more convenient to the airport or railway station than the other? I think they are only a mile or so apart.
Nov 13th, 2007, 02:03 PM

The Westin Circular Quay? Are you sure that's in Auckland and not Sydney?
Nov 13th, 2007, 02:07 PM

I think if you were staying at Westin (Lighter Quay, you are thinking of another city) and they are advertising as low as NZ$108 (or were houseoftravel.co.nz) you would want to check which room.

Westin is a brand new hotel, and rather lovely and zen-like. The rooms on the west side face an undeveloped part of town, to not put too fine a point on it, a carpark for buses.

I cannot compare it with SkyCity Grand. You have the benefit of Peter Gordon's restaurant, and a fine tapas bar at SkyCity, and the Pokie Hell next door.

Westin has the harbour, a nice restaurant, and a pleasant place to walk and sit in the sun, should it be a good weekend.

Regards

Bradford
Nov 13th, 2007, 02:09 PM

Westin is closest to the Britomart train station. A flat, five minute walk at most.

But the difference is minimal.
Nov 13th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Yes! Lighter Quay. The res for the Westin is 230 NZD though now the lowest rate is 440. The SCG was/is 245.
Nov 13th, 2007, 05:40 PM

Right now Wotif.co.nz says Westin at NZ$295/245 and SkyCity Grand at $255/255. That's for this Sat/Sun.

I got an email at $109 for Westin a week ago, but that offer must have gone.

Tourist season must be hotting up.
Nov 14th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Original Poster

I was just about to cancel my res at SCG and go with the Westin but decided to take a look at it with Google Earth. I absolutely love Google Earth. You used to have to pay $$$$$$ for software like this.

I see the buses in the carpark on one side and water on the other. But it doesn't look like there is anything in the immediate area. Can't tell what the buildings are to the north of the hotel. Looks like it might be businesses catering to the boat people. Or maybe condos.

Looks like Sky City Grande is in the middle of everything.
Nov 15th, 2007, 10:52 AM

Yes, you have that right. SkyCity Grand is more central. The tapas bar is supposed to be great. If you like french, walk two blocks to the West. Pastis is a very simple bistro style restaurant, not fussy but good comfort food. If you walk three blocks to the North, behind St Patricks you'll find the Grove. It may be hard to get a booking, it it is one of the top three restaurants in the city. If you're gay - or just into shrieking - there's a party on at SPQR in Ponsonby Rd on Saturday night. For breakfast, if you have a car, Richmond Rd Cafe in Ponsonby. Have fun.
Nov 15th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

I decided on the Skycity Grand. So I won't get any SPG points or an upgrade based on frequent guest status like at the Westin, but it is the location I want.

Thanks, Bradford, for your advice. I'll try the tapas place on Sunday.
Nov 21st, 2007, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Sky City Grande was the right choice for me. Right next to the tower. There is a Link stop a half-block away. The Airbus stop is even closer.

I walked over to the Westin on Sunday and had a great breakfast for lunch at the cafe. The west side is a bit bleak and it did look like the buildings to the north were companies serving the boaters. South and east of the hotel was all condos and office buildings (Vodafone, Sun, etc). An interesting area, to the east along the water, was not far at all.

The room at SCG was nice with a comfy bed. View was of the hotel across the street. Dinner at Mai Thai one night. Took the ferry across to (forget the name) and had fish and chips there. Great gelato at pier 1 in Auckland.
Nov 21st, 2007, 05:17 PM

Devonport is very nice. Next time try one of the b&b's along the waterfront there. You will have noticed Auckland's lack of urban planning. Both SkyCity and Westin suffer a from it. No-one has really thought about what needs to go around a 5 star hotel, so they sort of sit there all alone.

Auckland is a suburb city. We grew out, and the CBD never really grew up.