Search

around the world

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 1998, 10:15 AM
h rothman

around the world

my wife and i r planning a trip around the world, i would appreciate any suggestions <BR>on where -when-and any books to read

Old Aug 6th, 1998, 09:04 AM
Frank

Sounds like a great idea. I've always wanted to do that sort of thing...do you need company? <BR>Seriously, I have not traveled "around the world", but have seen books in my local library that offer those kinds of trips, albeit on a freighter with "few frills", for 80+ days, for about $8-10,000 pp, versus what you'll see advertised in the CRUISE TRAVEL magazines: 4-month excursions priced around $150,000. The no-frills trips I found were actually in a Fodors Book. <BR>Happy Planning!

Old Aug 15th, 1998, 12:37 PM
Tony

My wife and I are booked on around the world tour in March 1999. It is with a group called Saga Holiday's Spirit of Discovery 1-800-432 1432. There are other dates and this one is 40 days long and starts in US to London, to Delhi India for 3 nights, then 2 nights in Agra to see the Taj Mahal, then three nights in Bangkok, two nights in Singapore, a one week cruise from Singapore stopping in Malacca, Malaysia, Langkawi Island, Phuket, Krabi and then Singapore to <BR>Bali for three nights, then three nights in Cairns Australia, three nights in Sydney, Australia, two nights in Christchurch New Zealand, one night in Franz Josef, NZ, two nights in Queenstown NZ, four night in the Fiji Islands, then two last night in Los Angels before returning home. Many meals and tours are included. You may wish to do it on your own for more time in Europe or you may wish to do it as a cruise around the world. There are many choices. We are choosing this one because we want ot see these places and have spent a great deal of time in Europe already. Also the cost on this kind of tour is reasonable since it uses group buying. There are many books at the book store and info on the internet if you need more help. <BR> <BR>Tony

Old Sep 6th, 1998, 01:04 PM
Jo Harriet

My son (29) and I went around the world for 3 months last summer: London (4 days, because I thought an around the world trip should begin in London, I don't know why,but we did have friends there); Nepal (2 weeks); India (2 weeks); Thailand (2 weeks); Bali (10 days); Darwin (safari in Outback 7 days), Cairns (4 days diving on a liveaboard), Sydney (4 days), Australia; NZ (10 days camping in South Island); Fiji (10 days). I had not been to any of these places except London and Australia. The trip was fabulous. We flew between countries and took various types of tranportation domestically (rail in India, plane in Thailand, etc.). We traveled independently and I planned the trip, although we left plenty of space to change things when we felt like it. That space turned out to be very important. Traveling that long (expecially in Asia) is intense, and we would not have enjoyed meeting a fixed schedule. <BR> <BR>If you want more info, please email me. <BR>

Old Sep 10th, 1998, 09:51 AM
dan

Obviously, everyone will have a different opinion on this, but here is my list to visit (based on representing different types of geography, cultures, amount to see and do, etc.) The starred are my musts: <BR> <BR>Europe: <BR>Great Britain <BR>France* <BR>Germany* <BR>Switzerland <BR>Italy* <BR>Russia <BR>(maybe Netherlands or a Scandinavian country, Prague) <BR>Turkey* <BR> <BR>Africa: <BR>South Africa <BR>Egypt <BR>Kenya <BR> <BR>Asia: <BR>China* <BR>Thailand <BR>Japan <BR>India* <BR>Israel <BR> <BR>Australia (maybe New Zealand too)* <BR> <BR>Latin America: <BR>Mexico <BR>Brazil* <BR>Peru <BR>Costa Rica <BR>(maybe the Galapagos or Guatemala (Mayan ruins)) <BR> <BR>Rest of N. America: <BR>San Francisco <BR>New York* <BR>New Orleans <BR>Alaska <BR>Hawaii <BR> <BR> <BR>Depending on time, consider some more isolated places like Tahiti where you can rest - you will need it. <BR> <BR>If you really want to be jealous, I once had a professor with three relatives who spent 1 1/2 years travelling virtually everywhere in the world (it was truly mindboggling to read their itenerary). One man and two children. The children's school said it was ok if they could show what they were learning, so they produced a monthly newsletter about their travels. What an education!! <BR>

Old Sep 14th, 1998, 01:30 PM
Tara

my husband and i are planning a 'round the world trip as well. we live in nyc but are planning to begin our travels in los angeles. we have friends to visit there, and off to fiji and the south pacific. next is australia, i have a sister living in sydney. then we are on our own so to speak. the plan is to hit indonesia, malaysia, vietnam, thailand, maybe hongkong (i don't know if we will travel that far north), nepal, india, make our way over to egypt, africa, magagascar, seychelles (maybe), work our way along the southern coast of africa up to morocco, portugal, cape verde islands (off western coast of africa), then to south america. that is just a rough outline. my husband and i plan on traveling for a year. i would like to hear about your itinerary. <BR> <BR>question for you: are you purchasing one of those 'around the world' airline tickets? we are thinking of doing that for the major cities we visit. and then take our own transportation (boat, train, small planes, etc.) to more remote destinations. <BR>how far are you and your wife in preparation???

Old Sep 22nd, 1998, 01:14 PM
Lesley

Sounds like a great journey! I'm planning one for myself & my boyfriend too. Some great web page travel journals I have found & read are: <BR>www.russell.webtravel.org/atwj/ <BR>This one is the journal of an american & his wife's ATW trip. Very informative. <BR>www.gonewalkabout.com/got/ <BR>From the point of view of a 20 something guy & his party & travel experiences. I e-mailed him to compliment his journal & he even e-mailed me back & offered his help. <BR>www.stompers.com <BR>Yet another one, this one a 3 year work & travel trip. It is also in book form. <BR>Check out your local library for Fodor's & other travel books (Lonely Planet etc.)before you buy them, you can always photo copy the important pages as well & save yourself some money. <BR>Good luck !!

Old Sep 29th, 1998, 06:46 AM
Alex

My husband and I traveled for a year around the World. London,East Africa 4 mos,India & Nepal 4mos,China 1 mos SE ASIA 1mos Austrialia 1 mos, New Zealand & S. Pacific 6 weeks. We ended back in LA where I am originaly from. ADVICE. You do not need a tour except for parts of Africa which require special vehicles and expertise. Everywhere else has a good rail or bus system. Avoid traveling luxury unless it is a character hotel or old Raj palace. You will not suffer by avoiding the Hiltons but you will truly experience the cultures you are visiting. <BR> <BR>Use American express offices for mail and cashing personal cheques rather than taking to many travelrs cheques. <BR>Take a small flashlight for frequent power outages in third world countries. <BR>Take baby wipes, swiss army knife and a scarf to protect from dust and smells. <BR>Pack light buy cheap clothing or have it made along the way. <BR>Use a round the world ticket like British Airways- good value if you keeping going in the same direction. <BR>Hope this helps. Alex Murphy