approx.travel time CBD-Ryde?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whew!!...o'k,first,sincere thanks to 'everyone' that has responded to my earlier posts,does anyone know approx. how long buses would take to get from the neighbourhoods near the CBD(Darlinghurst,Surry Hills,Glebe etc.) to Macquarie Uni. and the number of transfers if any? I am going to look on the sydney bus website mentioned in an earlier response but all these maps/routes are like pictures in a book thanks again everyone!
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 04:33 PM

macquarie uni is at north ryde not ryde...there is a significant difference in the route used to those destinations by public transport.

Anyway south of the harbour innner city places are 60-70 minutes by public transport from mac uni with a change in the city.
About 20 minutes by bus or train to the city and then 40 minutes by bus over the harbour bridge and pacific highway and epping road.Bus route 288 city-epping is typical.

You could halve this time by locating on lower north shore.
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 08:33 PM
Original Poster

thanks johhj,much better than what i thought,2 hours++....is there a central place in Darlinghurst,Surry Hills area that you catch bus 288? or does this bus travel through these suburbs?...thanks again...cheers!
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 11:44 PM

I think you need to keep all this detail in perspective....

go to borders and buy a fold out regional sydney map showing suburbs and main aterial roads.

in the middle of the map find the homebush olympic site..draw a perpendicular line throught the map..anything to the left (west) forget about...thats the western suburbs,home of red roofs and the westies,far too suburban for your taste.

find the cbd,city,downtown area and highlight it. Find macquaire university at north ryde and highlight it then finally highlight those suburbs you are interested in....surrey hills,paddo,darlo,newtown,glebe,crows nest,chatswood.

your wife will have to catch a bus or train to the city and then change to a bus to macquarie.

Find the 288 bus route on the sydney buses site and trace it out on the map.It runs from mid city near town hall station.
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 06:41 AM

hello again, Pls see reply just made to your other post. But a quick word of advise. If your wife needs to get to Macquarie Uni then the worst place you could pick would be anywhere east of the city. Sydney like many other cities has transport that runs thru the centre - so to get from Surry Hills or Darlinghurst to North Ryde (NW of the city) you would have to change. Lower North shore (Crows nest, St Leonards, Lane Cove) or inner West would be best. Or, yes, buy a run around.

Best of luck - and if you might be interested in an empty one-bed unit in Balmain for a couple of months, post again with your email address!

Cheers.
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 11:43 PM

Well, Messenjah, you certainly have a great deal of advice -- much of it conflicting, but there are a few common threads running through it all -- buzzing about in your head right now!

I must say that of all the suburbs you've had mentioned to you so far, Balmain would probably be the most fun, and VERY suitable for someone in your position.... not too staid and "suburban", plenty of good restaurants, and, I think, a lot of preofessional people (fuzzylogic will correct me if I'm wrong about that one)choosing the area. And it's really not too far from Macquarie -- between Drummoyne (which I already mentioned to you) and the city.

If there's a problem with Balmain, it would be that the rents are pretty high, but it seems to me that if you had two months to get to know a couple of the real estate agents in the neighbourhood, that they would be able to alert you if and when something in your price range were to come up. And since rents in Sydney at the moment are at historically-low levels, and vacancy rates are still high, it's almost certain that there WOULD be something cheap coming up -- and almost equally-certain that it will never find its way into the hands of the idle person just browsing in the real estate agents' windows..... if the property is a choice one, they have their special list of "first refusals".

I would strongly advise you to think very seriously about fuzzylogic's suggestion, as it would seem like a golden opportunity for an "easy" introdction to Sydney. It would also give you time to hunt up the best second-hand shops for things like beds and refrigerators, so that you'll have everything you need ready for when you take out the one-year lease (the estate agents will really love you if you let drop that you are willing to sign a one-year lease; they'll be ringing up clients who have mentioned the possibility of moving on and ask them to make a commitment!)

You could, of course, rent a fully-furnished apartment, but since you can buy furniture and major appliances quite cheaply here, most agents will tell you that, if you're staying more than about six months, it's more economical to take an unfurnished one and buy what you need..... and there's a better range of properties that way, too!

Good luck with all your planning!
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 02:45 AM

I agree with Alan...consider Balmain closely. It would be reasonably handy to Macquarie Uni, not far from the city and has loads of restaurants and a lifestyle I think you would enjoy. Cheers!
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 07:19 PM

Johnj...

We Westies are watching you..............
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 01:58 AM

Really, Margo, it's perfectly obvious that you're not REALLY a westie.... the people from the north shore say "We northies are watching you"; westies say "Us Westies are watching youse".
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 02:59 AM

Oh c'mon Margo...you're not a Westie's bootlace...you eat at Sean's at Bondi!

BTW..isn't it time we found another victim for a harbour picnic?
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 06:46 PM

Just a "left field" idea. Friends of mine have used Australian House Sitters, both to sit and have their house sat when they went o/s.

Could be worth a try if you get something in a good location and would give you an opportunity to look around for something more permanent, with virtually no outlay.

Anyway, just a thought - here are a couple of websites.

www.houseminders.com.au
www.housesitters.com.au

.... and,johnj & Alan, with my tongue firmly cheek-iimplanted, wouldn't the correct terminology be,

"Us Westies IS watchin' youse." ?
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Ha,haaa...o.k,now your all scaring me ...ummm,is it usual to not have a fridge and shower included in your rental unit?
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 07:23 PM

Hi Messenjah,
If you rent an "unfurnished" unit, it will usually not have a refrigerator included. A shower will be, fear not! And we don't make you bring your own loo (toilet) either ! (LOL)

Don't worry, though - you can furnish a unit(apartment) very cheaply here with good 2nd hand/pre-loved furniture & white goods.

Just take a deep breath, hop on the 'plane & come down here - we'll all help you get sorted & settled !

Old Jun 15th, 2005, 07:37 PM

Alan and John

I'm pretending to be a eddicated westie! (or is that eddjugated?)

John
The picnic is a good idea, except for :
1) no obvious candidate / victim (when are AndrewDavid and John returning?)
2) no light after about 4.30pm - but the solstice is coming!
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 07:44 PM

Your unfurnished accommodation will definitely have a shower and a stove, and will probably have curtains (drapes) and blinds; in addition, if the block of units has a common laundry, then there will be a couple of pay-as-you-use washing machines. Bedrooms may have built-in closets. Apart from that, it's up to you to provide for yourself, and one way of doing this (possible only if you're already a local when the vacancy coms up) is to ask the real estate agent to negotiate for "large" items such as the refrigerator with the tenants who are quitting -- they may be willing to let you have these inconvenient-to-move things for a song. Otherwise, there is that Australian tradition, the weekend garage sale (known in the U.S., I think, as a yard sale). As the Garage Sale King of the Blue Mountains, I can tell you that there is NOTHING you can't buy from one of these, and very often you can set your own price. Getting that car to run about in (and load up with odd pieces of furniture or appliances) sounds like a good idea, as soon as practicable.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Ha,haaaa...again,sincere thanks everyone,i find myself loving you jovial souls already ...sincerly!!,ha,haaa..i can't wait to get there...Cheers!!