Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Appropriate Dress for Sydney Restaurants?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 06:09 PM
Joan

We have a reservation for pre-opera dinner at Bennelong and am planning on reserving at Rockpool, too. Does my husband need to wear a jacket and tie? I keep reading that Australian restaurants are casual but am wondering about these upscale restaurants. Thanks.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 04:57 AM
Graeme

Generally speaking you are correct.As my mother used to say,Youve always got to be clean and tidy.A shirt with a collar will just about cover any restaurant in Australia.If that is not good enough the place is not worth the trouble.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 07:44 AM
jane

We went to the rockpool in jeans and sparkly top for me and chinos and smart shirt for him, we certainly did not feel underdressed - i think a tie is unnecessary certainly - more smart casual ( i did however wear some upmarket jewllry though!!). <BR><BR>ps try Aria restuarant ( i think had bettter food than rockpool and an amazing view of the opera house and harbour bridge)<BR><BR>Another tip - get your hotel concierge to book your reservations ( we got great tables and freebie cocktails at some places)

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 11:28 AM
bruce

We made reservations at Tseuyaas and 41. Are these worth going to. They sounded nice from someone elses description of them on the fodors site a few months ago. Let me know.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 11:55 AM
Joan

Thanks for the great advice. Aria was one of the restaurants I was also considering. Great idea to have hotel concierge make reservations. I'll e-mail the hotel about it.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 01:44 AM
Nick

Second the Aria suggestion - not eaten there but know it is highly recommended and a very elegant restaurant - I think I would wear jacket, perhaps tie there. Only 100 metres from Opera House.<BR>41 has fantastic views as on 41st floor.<BR>For outside centre (15 mins drive) Catalina on Rose Bay - great food and service with balcony and floor to ceiling windows right on the water.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 08:44 AM
Enrique

Anybody,<BR><BR>If you have to choose between Aria and Bennelong, which would you choose?