Reload this Page >

Any general info for the Tahiti Islands

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 1997, 07:35 AM
Rajeev R. Tadas

I'm planning a trip to the South Pacific islands for my honeymoon next Oct./Nov 1998. Most likely places are Tahiti, Bora Bora, and Moorea. Are these good places to go? Is Oct/Nov a good time? What about any other islands in the region? Thanks

Old Aug 12th, 1997, 12:33 PM
R. Rivera

I went to Moorea in November and it was partly cloudy at times, but overall the weather was perfect. We stayed at the Sofitel Ia Ora in a private bungalow. The water was shallow and tranquil. You literally didn't need to use your snorkel equipment because the fish were so close to shore and the water was crystal clear.

Tahiti, on the other hand, has rough, rocky, black sand beaches and tends to have waves. I personally would not spend more than one or two days there --for the shopping and a tour of the island; waterfalls, Gaugin museum...

Didn't get to see Bora, Bora, unfortunately!

Hope this helps...

Old Aug 13th, 1997, 03:31 PM
Betty

I was on an 11 day cruise around the Society Islands and Rangiroa. Rangiroa is the best place to dive, however, not much else to do there. Huahine is a lovely island with good diving and excellent snorkeling. Lots of archeology and it has an "unspoiled" feel. We would like to go back to Huahine one day. Bora Bora is better above the water than below. The central island is surrounded by a ring of motu's which holds in the island runnoff so the water is not as clear as around the other islands. Be sure to take a Land Rover trip up the mountain to see the guns left behind by the Americans after WWII. Moorea is also nice and has good snorkeling. Bring lots of $$$! A beer is $8USD, a mixed drink is $12USD, a hamburger will run you about $15USD.

Old Aug 19th, 1997, 07:32 AM
Vicki`

We went on a WindSong cruise to five of the islands, and then went back to Bora Bora for three additional days. The Hotel BoraBora was PERFECT and extremely romantic. We had an individual bungalow over the water, right at the edge of the reef. The water was unbelievably clear and the fish were RIGHT THERE! A beautiful 6' ray would come by periodically and do somersaults right in front of our deck! The bungalow was furnished with fabulous antiques and a huge four-poster that was swathed in mosquito netting...the bathroom was huge with a shower and a claw-foot tub. We'd go back in a minute!!

Old Nov 14th, 1997, 05:43 PM
gail zanger

Windsong is no longer doing Tahiti (Society Islands), however the Radison is there now and I would definitely recommend a cruise for a honeymoon couple or anyone not on a tight budget. We visited several islands, the most beautiful, water gorgeous, scuba with ll feet long lemon sharks, four wheel drive excursion excellent. Car rentals also available on Moorea, great for 4-5 hours of exploration. Fantastic destination,Hawaii does not compare. The Radison is supposed to do nice job and I have seen good prices advertised in travel magazines. Bon Voyage! The people speak French and English. In Moorea right past the dock is Mari's beautiful hand painted tee shirts, the best non comercial ones on any island. Pareo's are a must to buy for your friends, average price $8-10.

Old Nov 19th, 1997, 11:52 AM
Greg

Tahiti was an incredibly beautiful place and expensive. If you don't speak French then the taxi drivers have got you. I paid $25 one way to my hotel in Papeete and I speak fluent French. They wanted to charge me $50! No meters. Anyway check into pensions instead of the super resorts. You may be surprised. I stayed in a $100 a night bungalow on Bora Bora at Pension Chez Nono. It had a private shower and King Bed and a sunset every night that was amazing. It's on Matira beach and has barely anyone on your section of it. Rent snorkel equipment and walk across the road to the Moana Beach Parkroyal $500/night and snorkel off their beach. You can also rent bikes at $16/day each from them. It's a nice way to discover Bora Bora and get to the Tiare supermarket to get your daily baguette 40 cents each. The Moana has many little corals off there beach full of aquatic life. If you find my dad's pen knife let me know. I lost it out there. I took it in case I ran into sharks which I didn't. The pension I mentioned has an outrigger tour around the island for $50/pp and is a really fun time. You feed the sharks, go to a coral garden, see mantas and sting rays and have a nice luau lunch on a spectacular beach in the South Seas with the peak of Bora Bora rising behind from a clear blue, aqua, almost purple lagoon. There are several restaurants around and count on $25/pp for salad and entree. If you want beer or wine even Coke add $8-25 more. I didn't have a bad meal except do not order sushi anywhere, because there is no soy sauce and mustard to dip it in and it was hot. I didn't get sick, but it wasn't the same. Go with Mahi Mahi and pasta dishes. I met several French families travelling and they liked Huahine, Maupiti, and Moorea as well. I didn't get there on this trip. Bora Bora for a week was worth the relaxation I needed. Oh and if you want to do a 4X4 trip try biking and hiding your bike in the banana trees and hiking up the mountain yourself. I appreciated the view so much more when I got to the top. I had no mosquito problems but lit my coils each night and lathered down in Off before going to bed. Don't leave your clothes out of the suitcase anywhere in Tahiti as the margoulles (geckos) will pee all over them. They are cute things and chirp like birds. Wow what a trip. I loved Bora Bora.

Old Dec 6th, 1997, 05:27 PM
diane macher

Just viewed this area on web. Fantastic, I am exploring the possibility of going to Tahiti, etc. on that Radisson new boat the Paul Gauguin - pretty good deals if you book before 12/31/97. I am a bit unfamiliar with this region of the world. What is the best season to go, what is the worst to go?? I am concerned with storms and foul weather. Do they have a high season like the caribbean, etc.??The weather is a major concern, because the price is kind of dear.. I'd appreciate any weather info.