Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Alice Springs: Is it possible to see any of "the Alice" during 6 hours between flights?

Search

Alice Springs: Is it possible to see any of "the Alice" during 6 hours between flights?

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If we fly from Ayers Rock to Adelaide, there is a 6-hour layover in Alice Springs. Is this enough time to go into town and see anything?
Old May 7th, 2006, 02:30 PM

the 6 hours would give you ample time to not only see some of the interesting sites in the town centre e.g. Flynn Memorial and School of the Air, but also spend some time in the wonderful Wildlife Sanctuary (the correct name escapes me!) on the outskirts.
Old May 8th, 2006, 03:56 AM

Well, yes, although I disagree with "ample". It's enough time to go into town and see something, The airport is not that far out, and then it would depend on your mode of transport. Assuming you are not the type for public transport, and will be hiring a taxi or whatever (seems to be the norm on this branch) then you could certainly visit some places - though the Flynn memorial is a fair way west of town. There's the school of the air, and the Flying Doctor HQ, and various sorts of transport museums. I'm not sure about a "wildlife sanctuary" - I think Prue may be talking about the Desert Park - you could easily spend half a day there - don't miss the Birds of Prey show.

And I really liked the Old Telegraph Station - it is after all, the reason the town is there.

Shame you haven't got longer. Alice is a great base from which to visit some stunning scenery - and if I ever go again I have promised myself I WILL DO that early morning balloon ride.

Have fun.

Old May 8th, 2006, 10:04 AM

we did the 6 hour layover also. We shared a taxi with two other girls and went downtown. Did some shopping had lunch and did some site seeing. Met up with the other ladies and took another taxi back.
Old May 8th, 2006, 02:29 PM

The Flynn memorial I was talking about was actually in the main Mall area - and yes, it was the Desert Park.
Old May 10th, 2006, 06:45 PM

We spent 3 hours at the Desrt Park and it wasn't enough time to really see everything. Spent an hour trying to call back to the US for Mothers Day!

cheers
A/D