Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Airline tickets...but or wait? Been checking prices for 4 months....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,
I'm back again. Havent' been on the board for awhile as we've just been checking the NZ airfares for the past several months hoping that they come down in price.

When I started comparing fares the tickets were at $1599. including tax. (We are planning on leaving Oct 24-Nov 11 and are flying from Los Angeles to Auckland, Napier to Christchurch (on another flight that we'll book separately throught the NZ air's "New Zealand" site) and then Christchurch to home.
So basically it's L.A. to auckland, christchurch to home.
the price today is $1249 all inclusive and I think we should buy the tickets. We have another couple that we fly with and he thinks that we should wait another month to see if they come down more in price.
We aren't really very flexible about our dates either which is another reason to buy them now. (me thinks....)

your thoughts??
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

I think that should have been "buy" or wait....
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 08:04 AM

What is your friend going to say if after waiting another month the price goes up????

It's almost impossible to predict when airfares will rise or fall. Best advice is to check prices and when you find one YOU think is good go ahead and book the ticket - the price may not be there tomorrow.
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

I'll suggest that if the price goes up between now and when he thinks we should, HE pay the difference. (that'll never happen)
Old Jun 4th, 2010, 12:39 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
There's a banner at the top of this page offering flights on Air NZ from LAX to Auckland, but they're for travel in August..bummer.

If you do decide to wait, I suggest you sign up for Air NZ's promotions - seems they send me an e-mail about one special or another on a weekly basis. Most are 2-3 day sales though, so you have to be quick.

If it's any consolation, it's cheaper for you to fly from LAX-Auckland than it is for me to fly from Perth to Auckland or CHC.
Old Jun 4th, 2010, 06:42 AM

Booked same flights in Dec2009 [9 weeks before] for a Feb2010 departure and paid $1130. That's a potential savings of $119 if you wait till August to book and the 9 week lead time means anything. Of course the fare could return to $1599.

Personally, I agree with RoamsAround. Guessing what the airlines are going to do is just that - a guess. So if you're satisfied with the price and it's within your budget for the trip, I say buy now.

What if you buy now and let him wait?
Old Jun 4th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Yeah....it seems they offer fares within a travel perimeter of about 1 month before you leave. I'd really be afraid to wait that long as we do have to fly on certain days.
My husbands a musician and we try and travel between gigs.

I guess the two of us could buy now and let them get their tickets when they saw fit, but it wouldn't be good if for some reason we couldn't be on the same flight.

I am signed up for the Air NZ special promotions but so far none of them have benefited us.

I think I'll wait until the end of the month and take the plunge....I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed that they don't either sell out or go up...it would be delightful if they came down.

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer.