Reload this Page >

Affordable hotels in Fiji and Tahiti???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 10:31 AM
Jane

My parents (mid 50's) are planning a trip to New Zealand in March for approx 5-6 weeks.<BR>They are allow a free stop in each direction,<BR>and want to stay 3 nights in Fiji, and 3 nights in Tahiti. They were quite shock to see the room rates...and have only been able<BR>to find prices for 5 star/high end/top of the line properties.<BR>They are travelling from Canada, and some of the properties they looked at were $300 -$500USD per night for a standard room. This was even more shocking to them when they converted to Canadian dollars.<BR>Can anyone recommend a property to stay that<BR>is less than $200USD per night, or is this unheard of? They are looking for something<BR>affordable/clean/etc. Nothing too fancy.<BR>Any advise would be appreciated. Any info or websites that they could look at would also be helpful. <BR>

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 12:20 PM
Merriem

Sofitel Maeva Beach was where we stayed before we took our cruise. I do not know the rate as it was included in our package. It was a so-so hotel, but was convenient.<BR><BR>There is no getting around it, Tahiti is expensive.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 01:16 PM
Iza

Check the Lonely Planet and Frommer's websites for some hotel recommendations. It is my understanding that both Fiji and Tahiti offer a lot of accommodations similar to B&Bs that are much less expensive than the over-hyped and over-advertised honeymoon type resorts.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 02:40 AM
Tiffany

In Tahiti, they are known as pensions. From what I have heard, they are very expensive and can sometimes be a mattress on the living room floor. Check out the intercontinental website. They have been running a 50% off sale lately. The Sheratons are running specials too since they just opened the new one in Bora Bora. Good luck. The hotels are expensive, but worth it!<BR><BR>www.tahiti.wunschl.com

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 10:04 AM
LordBalfor

Here's a couple of pension sites for places on Moorea. These should be in your price range. Moorea is a short ferry ride from Tahiti and has much better beaches. If I were your parents I would stay there.<BR><BR>http://www.pensionmotuiti.com/eng/cadre.htm<BR><BR>http://www.pacific-communication.pf/Moorea/pensions.htm<BR><BR>Enjoy your stay. FP is expensive, but incredibly beautiful.<BR><BR>Ken<BR><BR>