Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page > Advice on Island location to visit on return from NZ to England

Advice on Island location to visit on return from NZ to England

Mar 27th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Advice on Island location to visit on return from NZ to England

We should love to stop off on our return from NZ to the UK on an island for a few days to as my niece says "chill out". We would be arriving from NZ in early March 08. When we did this last time we visited the Cook Islands but although we like it to be warm we were overwhelmed with the humidity. Has any one any information or advice?
Mar 28th, 2007, 01:22 AM

Because of their geographical position most Islands in the Pacific are hot and humid. Fiji comes to mind as a destination with excellent resorts and hotels in all price ranges. You would be very comfortable there. Tahiti(Bora Bora) is also spectacular with sensational and comfortable resorts, but is very expensive.
Mar 28th, 2007, 04:02 AM

Oh - I love the Cooks, but have never been there in March!! And Fiji, of course, has plenty of potential being loads of islands with different characteristics. But suspect weather would be similar to Cooks.

There's always Hawaii - never been there - and that too is a group of islands, some more developed than others, I believe.

If all depends, to state the obvious, on what the airlines offer. What routings are available. Have you decided yet on whom you will travel with? Are you going RTW or going and coming back the same way?

I ask, cos if travelling eastwards the only other remote possibility that comes to mind is ... Easter Island.

I once flew with Aerolineas Argentinas from Sydney to BA via Auckland. I suspect you may be able to fly from Auckland with them to Santiago de Chile from whence you could visit Easter Island. How you get from there to the UK I do not know!!

Or there is Lan Chile. And they are part of the Oneworld grouping so there could be possibilities there.

Alternatively, if travelling westwards, then you could perhaps get a RTW routing via Mauritius, or, or.

More info required on the sort of ticket you have (are planning to get).

Cheers.
Mar 28th, 2007, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

We shall get a RTW ticket probably flying Heathrow/Singapore and leaving from Christchurch and flying back, I suppose, through LAX but could do it the opposite way round if any one has other suggestions! We do prefer Singapore Air but have travelled mostly with Air New Zealand
Mar 28th, 2007, 03:21 PM

if you are going Christchurch- Singapore can I suggest a few days in north Queensland and see the Great Barrier reef? A true wonder of the world, fabulous climate. YOu could pick one of teh resort islands or maybe even Port Douglas on the mainland.
Mar 28th, 2007, 07:46 PM

Well....Australia is an island - pretty big one, but an island, nevertheless!
Mar 29th, 2007, 04:09 AM

If you want to stick with the tried and tested - it is the obvious route - Heathrow - SNG - AUK - LAX and back. Then your options are limited to the the islands that lie on the trans pacific route.

If you want to be creative - there are many other RTW routings you could go for.

All depends on the time you have avalable; your inclination to do some research; how much time you are willing to spend in the air to get best value from your ticket, and where you would really like to go.

You could do worse that check out Trailfinders. They used to be seriously good for budget travel; now more inclined towards the added value buy your accommo with us too sort of thing. But still you have to start somewhere.

If it were me?

I'd do the std thing out to NZ - then I would double back and fly from Sydney back to Europe via Africa or the Middle East.

Not so much more flying time but might give you the option of checking out SA, or Mauritius, or Egypt, or the Gulf.

Food for thought.

Mar 29th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your advice, we do not particularly wish to go back via LAX so will look into your suggestions.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 01:46 AM

If you went out via LAX and back via SIN ( using SIN ex Christchurch ) you can get to quite a few islands from Singapore using either Singapore Airlines or their wholly owned subsidiary 'Silk Air', you book them together with your Singapore Airlines(SQ) flights, you get mileage etc, depending on your flight times from CHC you can get thru boarding cards, baggage etc.
Phuket is about 1 hr 40 from Singapore, Krabi about same time for beach, you can get to Phi Phi from either of those but Phuket flights far more frequent. Langkawi is 1 hr 25 on Silk Air, you can do Bali with SQ also, 2 hrs 30. penang is 1 hr 10, but if you want 'chill out' beach some of the beaches around krabi or Phuket could be nice.
If you want more ideas you can ask us on the Asia side of the Forum.

Search this Thread