Adelaide

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2003, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adelaide

Hi,

I'm thinking of going to Adelaide in September - please can anyone tell me if this is a good time to go, both weather-wise and activity-wise? (ie. will day tours out of Adelaide be operating in Sept?) I am hoping to do a 2-day tour to the Flinders Ranges with Wallaby Tracks Tours - does anyone know if trips to the Flinders Ranges would be operating at that time of year?
Also, any suggestions of day trips out of Adelaide would be much appreciated (I won't have a car).

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 05:39 AM

It should be a good time of year because they are coming out of their winter. So it will probably be pleasant weather. The wine country isn't that pretty though because all the grapes have been harvested.

A good day trip, but it will literally be from early in the morning to late at night, is Kangaroo Island. When we were in KI, there were many people who had day tripped from Adelaide. We really loved KI, so if you are into nature, that is a good place to go.

Have Fun,

Amy
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 09:23 AM

G'day Micheller,
September, especially late in the monyh should be great in Adelaide.
Should you plan on visiting Kangaroo Island then you should stay overnight in KI. One day would be rushing it too much.
If it's possible and fits into your shedule I would allow 3 or eben 4 days for a visit to the Flinders Ranges.
Even if taking the most direct route there it's still a 5 hour+ trip.
There is also an Aboriginal Community in the area where you can stay overnight. That would be a different experience.
Rater that doing a series of day trips from Adelaide I would take a round trip to the Flinders Ranges and back and include all the destinations of interest to you in such a (longer) trip.
The Barossa and Clare Valleys are always worth a visit - especially if you don't have to drive yourself after tasting the local drop

I do run tours, although generally from Melbourne and often come through the Adelaide area on my way north and know the area well.
If you need any more detailed info you can contact me by e-mail.

Enjoy your trip,
Mike.
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Amy and Mike. I think I might leave K.I. out of the itinerary this time as I would rather spend a few days there to do it justice - I'll leave it for another time!
Being from Melbourne I'm just looking at having a short break from a Thurs-Mon, with Fri-Sun taken up by a tour to the Flinders Ranges (leaving for Port Augusta on Friday afternoon).
I would like to visit Hahndorf, Glenelg and possibly Victor Harbour - should I stay in one of these areas on arrival or stay in Adelaide and make a day trip? Would it be easy to get around on public transport? (I really need to get myself more familiar with a SA map...!)

Thanks.
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 05:03 PM

I agree about saving KI for another time. One day in my opinion, would be too short. Yet, some people just want highlights.

I'm not familar with the Public Transport, as we stayed downtown in Adelaide and walked everywhere. When we went to the Barossa we took a tour bus, which kinda sucked because there were too many people to really enjoy the experience.

Sorry

Good luck!
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 02:31 AM

micheller,
i'm an adelaide resident.public transport is more than adequate.the first week in september is our show week.this is held close to the city and is like a big country fair.
it can be wet and cool in september generally adelaide starts to warm up in november.plenty of day trips out of adelaide your best bet would be to go to the state travel bureau.adelaide is a nice small city worth a look.
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 03:14 PM

We were in Adelaide last September and loved it. It was cool, though. All those sweaters we packed came in handy. Used our fireplace every night in Tanunda in the Barossa Valley. Hundreds of wineries to visit.