Search

Australia in May

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2001, 12:10 PM
Mark

Australia in May

My wife and I are planning a trip to Auatralia this May for our 10th anniversary. I Hope this is a good time of the year to go, I know it will be mid fall. We will be flying into Melbourn and there for 5 days (staying at Park Hyatt, I hear it is new). We are planning on checking out the city (what should we not miss?) Doing Phillip Island, and possibly Ocean Rd. From there going to Adelaid for 3 days (Staying at Hyatt) Doing a day trip to Kangaroo Island, Barossa valley tour in Classic Limo, and checking out the city. Next is Cairns (Port Douglas/ Thala Beach Lodge - any info/thoughts) Doing Barrier Reef, Daintree NP, and Kuranda. Finally is Sydney (Quay West Suites - are these as nice as they sound/written up?) Checking out the city again (wht not to miss) Olympic sites, Harbor cruise, Thought about a trip to Canberra(?) and Blue Mountains. Also Our first night in Sydney will be our anniversary. I would like to do something special, maybe the Opera House?? any suggestions? please offer any suggestions or ideas on any of the above. I look forward to hearing what everyone has tpo say.

Old Dec 14th, 2001, 12:23 PM
LizF

You'll get plenty of answers so I won't clog things up but just a hint of what NOT to do is the Showboat Harbour dinner in Sydney. I actually flew down with my husband ( this was my present to him) for the night to do this as I had done one years ago and I was so disappointed that I could have cried. It was all geared to the Japanese market and we had a dreadful time. Its sounds wonderful but isn't. <BR>Over to everyone else now:

Old Dec 14th, 2001, 12:30 PM
Mark

Thanks Liz,<BR><BR>I saw this on your other recent post:<BR><BR>"Take a trip up to the Dandenongs and see the wonderful wood carvings of aboriginals at a place there ( someone may be able to fill in the name of it) Go to Healesville wild life sanctuary and play with the animals."<BR><BR>How far out are the Dandenongs from Melbourn? Would this take a day or a half day? Just trying to get a sense around time to fi everthing and not be "rushed". Thanks again.<BR><BR>Mark

Old Dec 14th, 2001, 01:20 PM
LizF

You could do a nice round trip up to the Dandenongs and around to the Yarra Valley and Healesville in a nice jam packed entertaining day or you could do the Dandenongs one day and the other area another day - they are only about one hour out of Melbourne but you may wish to spend some time there. <BR>I like the Mornington Peninsular too for some wineries and a lovely drive. I am not particularly a fan of the Great Ocean Road but most other people are and find that a great trip. That really needs 2 days. <BR>I am just sorry you are missing Tasmania because that really is a treat and at that time of year is particularly nice. You will enjoy the Quay West Suites. Wait till you get to Sydney to decide what to do as there is so much to see and you have no need to pre-book. The Sydney Explorer is a MUST. <BR>I love the GBR area as I am a Queenslander anyway and if it wasn't for family I would be living up there now. I don't know the resort you are going to but PD is a lovely spot there are many many island trips and tours to go on and the David Amhurst one is one that you should NOT miss. I havn't got the web site for that but I know others have. I also went on a night tour of the Daintree looking for the Lemoroid possum which I enjoyed. Kuranda is bet visited by the cable car over the rain-forest and then back down again on the train. You will have to book that the day before I would think. Take in the aboriginal show in Kuranda as its very good. Make sure you see other places on the Tablelands like the lakes and the waterfall areas. You may like to go to the lava tubes too. I could go on and on about the north and I could spend every day snorkling out on the reef too given half a chance. I once enjoyed a boat trip up to Cooktown but you probably won't have the time for that.<BR>Anyway hope this all helps.<BR>Liz<BR>

Old Dec 14th, 2001, 03:00 PM
pat

I went last May. It was cool in Melbourne, but not unpleasant. They were selling roasted chestnuts on street corners in Melbourne. The leaves were falling off the trees. Sydney had nice weather. The great barrier reef had perfect weather.

Old Dec 15th, 2001, 11:29 AM
mary

Melbourne highlights. Depending on your interests I'd be visiting - the Botanic gardens (have lunch at the Observatory cafe), Southbank, Dandenongs (for autumn leaves), Healsville Sanctuary, Mornington Peninsula wineries and Cape Schaneck National Park (which gives you amazing views over the ocean and entrance to Port Phillip Bay), go up the Rialto to get a great view of Melbourne, the new museum, take the ferry to Williamstown, Phillip Island & if you have time the Great Ocean Rd (I agree you really need 2 days for this).

Old Dec 16th, 2001, 05:11 PM
Mark

Thank You'<BR><BR>I appreciate all of the feedbacxk I have gotten thus far. It just make my wife and I that much more excited about coming to Australia. We look forward to meeting all of the wonderful people there. If they are as helpful as everyone here has been I know we are in for a fabulous time. Thanks again.<BR><BR>Mark

Old Dec 16th, 2001, 09:00 PM
marg

Mark<BR>The place you are referring to in the Dandenongs is Ricketts Sanctuary - lots of wood carvings and statues and worth visiting. If you don't have time to get to Healesville, visit the Melbourne Zoo which is excellent and only a short tram ride away from the CBD. Queen Victoria market is excellent - good place to buy souvenirs, clothes etc. If you are in Melbourne on a Sunday, the craft market on St Kilda Esplanade is worth visiting; you could also wander along to Acland Street for the cakes. The ferry to Williamstown is a good trip - lots of little shops and eating places there. As it will be autumn (fall) the city gardens will be full of autumn colours and leaves.<BR>Have a look at the clock in Melbourne Central (shopping mall). There is a free tram which circles the city centre - look out for the vintage brown trams. If you like asian food, visit Little Bourke Street at lunchtime and have a yum cha.<BR>The Great Ocean Road is well worth your time - you could make it a two day trip and stop overnight at Port Ferry - an old small fishing town with lots of character and lots of bed and breakfast places.<BR>Hope you have a great time.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 05:48 PM
topping

Topping for Serena, Tonya, and Astrid

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 10:49 AM
Topping

Topping for all

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 06:11 PM
Louise

I live in Sydney and the place you are staying is in a great location.My favourite retaurant which is located at circular quay (about a 5 min. walk from where you are staying)is Cafe Sydney.Great food, great atmosphere,great service and an amazing view of the bridge and opera house that you never get sick of looking at ! They have a website it's www.cafesydney.com.au so you can check it out and see what you think !Level 41 is also nice as is The Summit and Aria .They are all located near where you are staying and have great views.

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 09:55 PM
Jo

Hi Mark<BR>I am in Sydney and am planning a romantic couple of days in the Blue Mountains. It is supposed to be very beautiful, chilly in May, but they have log fires and cosy places to stay as well as stunning scenery. They have a Yulefest and have traditional Chhristmas dinners in May/June which may be fun.<BR>Have a great time

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 03:35 AM
Alan

The Blue Mountains tourist industry is going through a hard time at the moment, what with the general downturn in overseas visitors plus the bushfires over Christmas, and they are organising all sorts of special activities to lure the tourists back -- last weekend it was "everything free for kids" -- so it is not impossible that they will suddenly pull out a "Christmas in May" rabbit out of their hat; but I don't think you should expect either this or the log fires in mid-May, because, frankly, it is only just starting to cool down at that time of the year (this week, mid-March, the temperature here has reached 35 or 36 Celsius -- I think that's in the mid-nineties in fahrenheit!). The yuletide festival doesn't normally come around until July, when the log fires DO become necessary. In May expect cool weather and beautiful walks, but don't bring your snow parka!

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 07:35 AM
Jen

I'm envious of your trip (I've been to Oz twice, and would go back in a heartbeat!), but I'm curious why so much city time? Melbourne is a very liveable city, but not the most fun for tourists. I fear you might be itching to get out into the beautiful countryside after 5 days. But there are many day trips you can make with Melbourne as your base, so I'd look int that.<BR><BR>I would highly, highly recommend doing more than a day trip to Kangaroo Island. It's an hour flight or so each way, plus travel time to/from the airports, so you won't end up with much time to explore this wondrous island. Is your itinerary set, or can you move to stay on K Island for a night or teo? We stayed for 3 and could have easily stayed more. Adelaide as a city is not terribly exciting, though lovely and pleasant to live in.<BR><BR>Thala is perfect. Don's spend a second in Cairns unless you're a big fan of Florida cities like Ft. Lauderdale. Port Douglas is fun (though getting more crowded over the years), but Thalas is a 15 minute drive away or so, so you're fully removed from everything. I would skip Kuranda, and do Poseidon for the reef, in addition to the Bloomfield track. And David Armubster's Australia Natural History tour has been discussed here ad nauseum, so you can look up that. I love it; others think it's over-priced.<BR><BR>Have a wonderful trip! And ne sure to return for a trip to the Top End another time!

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 07:35 PM
Mark

Folks, (Louise, Jo, Alan, and Jen)<BR><BR>Thank you for your latest posts! I really appreciate all of the info everyone has given me.<BR><BR>Louise:<BR>Thanks for the dining recommendations, I will check them out when I get home. (I am travelling on business this week and have limited access to the web). I have seen the write up for 41 and The Summit, and they sound great, I was thinking also that I might hire a chef to cook dinner for us in our suite if you know of anyone who does that?<BR><BR>Jo and Alan:<BR>We are planning to spend a day in the Blue Mountains. Is there any web site that could give you up to date info on the activities out there? Alan, you mentioned that since the fires, and the overall downturn in the tourist trade, there were special events possibly being planned. I am thinking that it could be a special time to visit, just like Yellowstone was here in the US after the devestating fires back in '92. <BR><BR>Jen:<BR>I am envious of YOU! Having been to Oz twice!!! I should probably give an update from my original post. We have cut our time in Melbourne by a day (but now doing Rickets Sancturary and Healsville)to give us an overnight at K Island. We are using the cities as bases to explore from. We have also added another day to Thala Beach ( we have no plans to go into Cairns and only to Port Douglas for dinner if needed.<BR><BR>Thanks again to everyone. 43 days to go and counting!!<BR><BR>Mark

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 03:32 AM
Alan

Hi, Mark!<BR><BR>Thanks for replying to myself and the other posters -- we are all gratified to know that somebody actually reads our advice! (often one wonders if the original poster has forgotten all about the thread).<BR><BR>If I hear of any special events in the Blue Mountains area for the month of May, I will find this thread and post it. Meanwhile, here are four sites for you to look at:<BR><BR>www.bluemtns.com.au/tourist/default.htm<BR><BR>http://info.mountains.net.au/tourist/<BR><BR>www.bluemountainstourism.org.au/<BR><BR>www.atn.com.au/nsw/syd/info-a.htm<BR><BR>Hope you have a great time... certainly you are choosing a great month (weather-wise) for the east coast!

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 06:08 PM
jill

Mark<BR>The website for David Armbrust's tour is www.anhs.com.au While in Port Douglas you MUST go on his tour. It is fantastic!

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 03:26 PM
Carolynne

Hi there Mark, I live in Port Douglas and I had to tell you... Thala Beach is beautiful! You will love it. It is however 15 minutes out of Port Douglas, but most of the tour companies pick up there. Do the reef from Port Douglas, and pick a smaller operator: if you want to dive choose a dive boat, if you want to snorkel, pick a snorkel boat. Do Kuranda from Cairns if you can, or you will pay extra for transfers ex Port Douglas.<BR>A great restaurnat is " on the inlet" a seafood restaurant right on the water... dont miss it!<BR>

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 05:32 AM
Patti

Mark<BR>I see Liz has answered your post and Alan also. You can't get much better OZ info than these two. I watched the posts often and then finally started asking questions. We loved Sydney and will return. Stay at Quay West as the view is spectacular and the the apartments are superb. Melbourne is great but a little overwhelming (I don't know why as Sydney is not) If one could take a helicopter out to the 12 apostles it could really shorten that trip. The GBR is great wherever yoou stay - Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Thala but do take the sky tram and the railroad as the sights will amaze you. Max and I can hardly wait to return and our friends are amazed at our thoughts. We found e-mail cafes everywhere and sent common messages to our family/friends telling them of our great adventure. The people are warm and friendly. You'll love it!!!

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 01:57 PM
Mark

Patti and Carolyn,<BR><BR>Thanks for the updates you two have provided. The suggestion about the restaurant in PD and the helicoper to the 12 Apostles was great, so THANK YOU very much. t- 7 days and counting!!!We will give a trip report when we get back.<BR><BR>Mark

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -