Accomodations for 4 reasonably priced

Old Aug 27th, 2010, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accomodations for 4 reasonably priced

My family is travelling to Sydney December 28- January 8. I am having a difficult time finding hotels/apts with availability and not priced close to $1000/night. Any suggestions? We are also intereseted in the Bondi Beach location.
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 08:00 AM

$1000? That sound way over the top, unless you need several rooms? How big is the family? Realize that those days are the peak of the peak season - it's summer, year's end, everybody on vacation etc. - and Bondi is a magnet, so that's maybe the wrong place to look.

I see way more reasonable numbers, for example the Manly Lodge (www.manlylodge.com.au) shows good rates - they have family rooms, two adults, plus two kids under 12 for free, call them up and find out: +612-997-7855 and discuss your family size etc.Manly is a great beach location, and the ferry takes you into Circular Quai in style if you want to go to the CBD (Central Business District) and beyond.

Also check out www.riverview.com.au

Use Google to search for Sydney Holiday Accommodation (Aussies use the word holidays more than the word vacation) and see what short-term holiday flats etc. might be available.
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 08:34 AM

For that time period, the costs you quote seem really high. The highest prices should be December 29-31 and maybe January 1. From at least January 2-8, the prices should be much lower.

Are you prioritizing Bondi or Sydney? When we stayed at the Sebel Pier One over New Year's (under the Harbo(u)r Bridge), they only pumped up the rates about 25% for the period, not the 50-150% surcharge that so many other places had. We had a good stay with nice, large, modern room.
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 04:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Sue, the CBD rates usually drop substantially after 1st January, as Big Russ says. Even for NYE, $1,000 seems a bit steep - or is that for 2 bedrooms/2 rooms? If for 2, it's probably about average or a tad below for the few days around New Year's Eve.

Bondi Beach is a holiday mecca and as you can imagine is at peak season in December/January. However, you may be able to
find something on www.wotif.com.au now & contact the property direct to negotiate a price for your Dec/Jan stay.

If you're flexible about the location, you may find something closer to your budget (what is it BTW?)but still within reasonable distance of both Bondi Beach & the CBD around Rushcutters Bay, Kings Cross, Potts Point, Elizabeth Bay, Darlinghurst, Surry Hills or Coogee (which is also on the coast. Have a look under "Eastern Suburbs" on www.wotif.com.au
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 08:28 PM

I've visited friends staying at the fairly luxurious Meriton Appartments in Kent St - they had three bedrooms, spa, two bathrooms, laundry and kitchen etc, with fabulous views, and it was centrally located, a short walk from the northern end of Hyde Park. You would have a great view over the fireworks at Darling Harbour and Sydney Harbour for NY Eve. This hotel is quite high up, several floors above the business part of the building. I'm unable to cut and paste the site - so search "Meriton Serviced Appartments Kent St'. I put in your dates, and prices ranged per weeknight or weekend night (dearer)from $495A to $795A for NY Eve.
I note also that there is Meriton Appartments Bondi Junction ($295A to $620A NY Eve). Bondi Junction is NOT Bondi. You must catch a bus to the beach, maybe 20 minutes. But I think this latter one is very close to the underground railway (City Rail) which goes to Central Railway, and connects to the Airport.
Good Luck!
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 08:31 PM

IMPORTANT!!!!!
SORRY, it was Meriton Apartments World Tower, I spoke of, NOT Kent st. So the prices are wrong.