Accomodation/Shopping in Hong Kong...

Dec 7th, 1997, 08:28 PM
Guy Harrison

Accomodation/Shopping in Hong Kong...

I'm looking at traveling to Hong Kong via China in late January, early February. Does anyone know of some good places to stay for about AUS$40 a night as well as some cheaper shopping areas for clothes and electronics..??

Dec 15th, 1997, 04:56 AM
Lincoln Chan

Sorry to ask...how much is AUS$ 40 in US dollars? I will get back to you on accomodation as soon as I find out the rate. As for shopping, the locals like Mongkok or Causeway for cheap clothings and electronics. If you want fake stuffs(clothings), go to Stanley Market. There are also some nice bars around the beach area as well. Tsim Sha Tsui is HK's main shopping area for tourists(locals as well). But don't buy electronics from there. They tend to more expensive..

Dec 16th, 1997, 07:04 PM
Guy

Thanks for the reply Lincoln. $40 AUS is about $200 HK, but at the moment it's not much in $US. I think it's about $25-6 US. Where is a good place to buy electronics..?? Thanks for your help..

Jan 3rd, 1998, 08:34 AM
Jean

Hi, Good luck with finding anything that cheap in H.K. Chung King Mansions are really bad for that price. The Y.M.C.A.s are over $100.
We travel with no pre-reservations, relying on airport hotel reservation desks. H.K. has a good one where you can get rooms for 25 to 50%25 off normal rate. At 9 p.m. we got a twin room at Shamrock Hotel on Kowloonside for $56.
Shopping - like the Ladies Market at night in Mong Kok for clothing and smaller electronics - the latter is not that inexpensive in H.K. now. Stanley Market has been upgraded, and is more expensive than it used to be. For a thrill take the #260 double decker bus from the Star Ferry Terminal and sit in the front seat on the top deck - just like a Roller coaster. Also just hop on any double decker bus (on top) and ride to the end of the line - great views of local life.

Jan 18th, 1998, 12:04 AM
LennySaunder

I have been to HK 5 times and always stay at Chungking Mansion . Very cheap and many rooms to choose and bargain. Some rooms are bad but most are great though a little small. No problem finding one. Just show up. Lots of action.