Accommodation on the Great Ocean Road?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have our entire honeymoon planned in October (thanks for all the input from everyone on this board!) except for our one night on the Great Ocean Road. We will be departing from the Yarra Valley on a Monday morning and would like to stay somewhere toward the end of the GOR. Based on info on this board, we tried to reserve Oscars in Port Fairy but it is booked (3 mos. in advance on a Monday -!). Any comparable suggestions? Do you think Warrnambool, Port Fairy or another place would be the best?

We think we will drive back on the inland route on Tuesday and will spend the night in Werribee at the Mansion Hotel before flying to Cairns (and on to Lizard) on Wed. morning. How far is Werribee to the Melbourne airport?

Thanks so much.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 08:26 PM

Personally, I'd try to avoid warnambool if you can - i didn't like it much both times I've been there, much preferred Port Fairy. did you look at the port fairy section of www.greatoceanroad.org for other options? also try http://www.stayz.com.au/accommodatio...oad/port-fairy

You might also want to think about maybe staying in port campbell as opposed to port fairy, given you'll be coming from the yarra valley that day - then you can decide whether you want to keep going or spend time doing the things around port campbell.

Old Jul 18th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Is Port Campbell charming? Is there a place in Port Campbell that is supposed to be very nice to stay? What about the dining options in that area?

Thanks again.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 07:23 PM

Werribee to Melbourne airport would be no more than 45mins. It's freeway all the way. If it's peak hour (7.30am-9.30am) allow an extra 15mins.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 10:00 PM

I think that port fairy is probably more charming that port campbell, but that said, port campbell is quite nice. I suppose it depends on what you're planning to do. If you want to see the highlights of the GOR (eg 12 apostles, loch ard gorge) then staying in port campbell would be better location. however if you're planning just to drive the road, then apollo bay area is the best for that.

I can't recommend highly enough getting up early for the sunrise at the 12 apostles and then a walk down gibson steps onto the beach. sunset is very nice, but generally very crowded. We did both and there would have been maybe 100? people at sunset. at sunrise - 4 people at apostles and just me and my friend on the beach. Take a thermos of coffee or tea, something to nibble on and enjoy.

as for accommodation - I can't recommend anywhere, I camped my way along the GOR, but surely someone has stayed somewhere nice. there's lots of nice looking places around, it's a popular tourist spot so there will be a range of accommodation.

eating .. again, not my forte but check this site:
http://miettas.com/Australia/Victori...ell/Waves.html
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 06:42 AM

Her is the website addresses of a few places you might like to have a look at.

www.captains.net.au
www.chocolategannets.com.au - I know this gets great reviews.
www.rayville.com.au
www.heytesburyridge.com.au
www.shearwaterhaven.com.au
www.wavesportcampbell.com.au
www.goblesmill.myportfairy.com
www.hearns.com.au
www.oscarswaterfront.com
www.myportfairy.com/shearwaterhouse/
www.vichotel.com

These are all B&B establishments. The first few are at Apollo Bay and you might want to travel a bit further along the GOR before you stop. Personally I really enjoy Apollo Bay and, if I understand correctly, you are starting from the Yarra Valley that morning I think you will have done quite enough driving by then. As you intend to come home via the inland route, you will still have time to do the rest of the GOR and come back on the last day.

Hope you find something amongst these and have a great honeymoon.