3 weeks in NZ_Itinerary help!

Old Aug 26th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 weeks in NZ_Itinerary help!

Hello all,

I am new to posting here, but after months of poring over travel books, I decided to come to you for advice! My husband and I are traveling in NZ for three weeks beginning in early Feb (including travel time from central Texas) and I need some advice on the itinerary. We enjoy hiking, swimming, kayaking, beaches, wine, architecture, and friendly people. Would like to mix in a few days of cities, but mostly focus on the natural beauty of NZ. So far this is what we have (I use the word 'we' loosely, as my husband doesn't seem to be bothered, except to assert that we must go fishing at least once

2N Auckland- recover from flight/explore city
2N Waiheke Beach- beaches, swim, wineries
1N-Taupo- obligatory fishing day
2N Tongariro National Park-hiking/exploring
1N-Napier/Hawkes Bay wineries
2N Wellington- day trips to kapiti Island and Akatarawa Valley
1N Picton-Queen Charlotte Walkway
2N Kaikoura- whales,dolphins,seals, etc
1N Blenheim- biking through wineries
2N Abel Tasman Natl Park- kayak,hike,camp
1N Takaka- Golden Bay
1N Wellington- Drive most of day/pack

As you can tell, I love being near the ocean. We have left out the glaciers as we are also planning a trip to Alaska next summer, but please let me know if this is a big mistake. Thanks for any advice you can give!

Joy
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 03:20 PM

Your NI itinerary looks good. If you click my name, you'll find my New Zealand trip report and our experience on the Akatawara road. It's not one I'd want to repeat, but your mileage may vary.

Lee Ann
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 04:24 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome to Fodor's kayacklady.

One night in Picton won't give you much time to explore the Queen Charlotte Track before you drive to Kaikoura. You can access the track from Anakiwa, near Picton, but you'll need to arrange some sort of transport to return to Anakiwa, unless of course you plan to walk in and walk back out.

I suggest at least two nights in the Marlborough Sounds area (not necessarily Picton), which will give you one full day to explore the track. I suggest taking a water taxi to Ship Cove and walking the track as far as Furneaux, where you can then take a water taxi back to Picton. This makes a lovely day walk and will give you a good taste of the sounds and the track.

How are you getting back to Wellington?
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

We were planning on renting a car after Waiheke Island and driving the rest of the trip, but Lee Ann after reading some of your posts, maybe we should reconsider? What are the alternatives-I'm not familiar with train and bus services in NZ. I also think that my husband may not be as keen on all of the 1 night stays as I would be. If we could do 9 two night stays, what would you all recommend? Thanks so much for the advice!

Joy
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 01:13 PM

We loved driving around the North Island because we had freedom to stop when and where we liked. The flat tire on the way to Wellington was a minor inconvenience. But I really would not want to drive the Akatawara Road again. Maybe if you just want to do a bit of it, you would be OK.

At any rate, I wouldn't hesitate to rent a car in New Zealand.

Lee Ann