Search

3 weeks in Australia December/January

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 weeks in Australia December/January

Hello everyone,
My amazing mom (who is probably reading this in all her research for the trip - hi mom!) has given me the gift of a trip of a lifetime and I chose to go to Australia. We have 3 weeks, leaving San Francisco on the evening of December 16th (Friday) and coming back January 6th (also Friday). Having absolutely no clue as to what is going on in that part of the world, we went to some friends from Australia for advice. Now that we have some basic ideas and suggestions, it seems like we are going to focus on the Queensland area with a little time in Sydney and *possibly* a few days in New Zealand on the way home. We would like to spend New Year's eve in Sydney, since that seems like it would be one of the most amazing places to be.

Basic info about us: Me, mid 20's, mom early 60's. We both like nature, coastal areas. I am more into the physically active activities (mom to an extent as well... we would both snorkel, whereas only I would scuba) but love relaxing. We love history and small towns and "off the main path" type of things. Of course, all the big touristy things are there for a reason (they are fun!) so we like those too. I am a wine person, she is not, so a day winery trip in the Hunter Valley is something that peaked my interest. We could even split up for a few days to do some different things. I am a vegetarian (no seafood either), she isn't into red meat, but loves seafood. I am pretty into food (one could call me a "foodie), particularly interested in local and sustainable farming (we have a tentative plan to stay at an exotic fruit farm, which sounds amazing).

We are thinking of flying into Cairns and doing the Daintree rainforest/Cape tribulation area then doing a road trip down to somewhere in the Noosa area, flying to Sydney from there then up to New Zealand on the way out.

I heard that some of the islands off the Great Barrier Reef do a camping/snorkeling/scuba package. I would love that for a night, mom would prefer to read a book on a glass bottomed boat and soak up the sunshine with a little snorkeling thrown in. Something for both of us maybe?

Budget - we need to keep it relatively low cost, but a few "wow" events (maybe even a resort for a night or two) would be fine. We don't mind low cost hotels, hostels (if they have a private room for the two of us), it's really just a place to sleep.

Here's the basic shell of an itenerary with lots of empty spots. We would love any and all suggestions to fill up those holes (or change around what we have) and make it special!

12/16/11 - Leave SFO at 10:37 pm
12/17/11 – Travel
12/18/11 – Arrive Cairns at 12:45 pm
Stay in: Some Cairns hotel for 1 night
12/19/11 – Drive to Daintree Rainforest
Stay in: Cape Trib Exotic Fruit Farm 1 or 2 nights for $180 per night
12/20/11 – Stay in Cape Trib Fruit Farm http://www.capetrib.com.au/index.htm
12/21/11 – Drive South to Youngaburra
Stay at Kookaburra Lodge for $90 per night
12/22/11
12/23/11
12/24/11
12/25/11
12/26/11
12/27/11 – Great Barrier Reef Tour (Snorkeling and Scuba)
12/28/11
12/29/11 – Fly to Sydney
Check into a hotel and see the city
12/30/11 – Hunter Valley Vineyards (Steph)
Rent a car for the day
12/31/11 – New Year’s Eve in Sydney
1/1/12 – Sydney sight seeing
1/2/12 – Fly from Sydney to New Zealand
1/3/12
1/4/12
1/5/12
1/6/12 – Fly Home out of New Zealand
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 05:25 PM

I think you've got your Far North Queensland section about right, you should really enjoy Cape Tribulation Exotic Fruit Farm and you've allocated a healthy amount of time to Atherton Tableland area. Don't forget to visit the Herberton Historic Village.

For your reef trip have you thought of a two day, one night liveaboard? Reef Encounter does one out of Cairns, as does Vagabond, catering to both snorkelers and divers, both are reasonably priced.
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 06:41 AM

Your hotel in Sydney on New Year's Eve will be a budget buster and may require a multi-night reservation. Locals, please correct me if I'm mistaken on this. Do you have a "Plan B"?

Old Jun 27th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

We were thinking it would be amazing to have a view of the harbor from our room, from my research there's no way that would happen Not really a plan B, but maybe staying in a slightly away from the main area in a hotel/motel and just going down there for the new year's celebration.
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Any thoughts on this hotel?

Oaks Harmony
Sydney: Downtown Sydney CBD
107 QUAY STREET
Sydney, 2000 AU

I have no idea really the layout, it's kind of hard to look at a map, is this near the "action"?
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 03:02 PM

This hotel is not in the CBD, it's in Haymarket/Utimo, which is the southern end of the city. It's a long way from the main fireworks and the Harbour. The area is well serviced by trains and buses. It's near to one of the Universities so there's lots of cheap food in the area and some ratty pubs, not a lot to recommend it, but if the hotel is cheap you can easily get to the fireworks from there.

If you look at the location on Google Maps (then zoom out) you might get a better idea of the layout.
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 05:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
If you can get in, The Rocks YHA is in a brilliant location & has stunning views from their terrace.

http://www.yha.com.au/hostels/nsw/sy...ydney-harbour/
Old Jun 28th, 2011, 12:09 AM

Steph,
Please tell your mother I am available for adoption.

For things to do around Yungaburra (no 'O' by the way) please have a look at these websites for a start.

www.yungaburra.com
www.mungallicreekdairy.com.au/
www.alanswildlifetours.com.au
www.tablelandadventureguides.com.au
www.lakebarrine.com.au
http://www.mtuncle.com
http://www.debrueys.com.au/

While you are in that area, I would consider an overnight, two day trip to Chillagoe or Undara. This would give you more of a view of what most of Australia is like and broaden your experience of wildlife and scenery.
http://www.chillagoehub.com.au/
http://undara.com.au/

Pat's advice about an overnight trip on the reef is well worth considering. So is her B&B, http://www.lilybank.com.au/
Old Jun 28th, 2011, 03:24 AM

Sounds wonderful, you do realize how hot it will be up here then? Not that that is a bad thing, but just so you know I live in Brisbane and don't like going much further North in the summer. Very HUMMID, but if you are prepared no probs.
Old Jun 28th, 2011, 04:37 AM

Not a heck of a lot hotter than Brisbane, for Cairns and Cape Tribulation, mean max for this area in December is 31.4C, Brisbane 29.4C. Atherton Tableland (Kairi) less than either, with mean max of 28.8C, and far, far less humid than the coast, where the humidity will be building for the monsoon season.

But Steph is going on a reef trip from Cairns, who cares about humidity when you're in water all day? Whilst I know its foolish to attempt to predict weather, I have to say, in nearly 20 years of living in FNQ December usually delivers top reef weather, calm seas, excellent underwater visibility.
Old Jun 28th, 2011, 09:58 AM

This is MOM. Stephanie failed to mention the reason I gave her the "trip of a lifetime". She just accomplished one big WOW educational goal.
Old Jun 28th, 2011, 06:02 PM

Congratulations on your WOW educational goal Stephanie.
Whilst the Exotic Fruit Farm is nice may I suggest staying at the following http://www.daintreewildbnb.com.au/ while you are in the Daintree. I have stayed here and loved it 'cause you are able to interact with the animals whenever you want to. Its a unique and lovely B&B and also an interesting little zoo with lots of Australian animals and birds and many Kangaroos and wallabies just roam around for you to play with.
For me and for anyone I am taking to North Queensland its a "must stay" destination.